Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Car Cover "Rub Marks"

7K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  rob the elder 
#1 ·
I have one of the more expensive custom CoverCraft covers for my Solstice. Located just outside of Phila, PA, I generally keep the car covered a week or two at a time in between uses. It can get quite windy here and despite the cover being tied as tight as possible and the car being parked between my large SUV and large Van, the cover still blows around quite a but.

Ultimately, this leaves rub marks on the finish - primarilary at the top of where the side of the body turnes into the edge of the hood/trunk.

They can be compounded out but I'd like to prevent them from occurring. Anyone else have this issue and if so, what do you do to prevent it? I've thought about laying a non abrasive cloth over those areas before putting on the cover however I don't want the moisture to be retained under there by the cloth and cause other types of markings/damage.

Thanks in advance for your input.

#3 ·
Even in some places that is just not enough. I can wash my car and within a minute have more dust on it (No garage :( ). Heck, I even have times where I know there is no dust and when I uncover it there is dust. I do believe it is blown in from under the cover. As hard as that is to believe, I think it's the only possibility.

I however haven't noticed any rub marks as of yet (been covered for the majority of the past year). I'm interested to see any preventive measures though so I can put them into place :)

:lurk:

#5 ·
I spent at least 20 years without a garage. And believe me, I tried out a lot of different car covers. You can find some with under-liners that supposed to help cut down on finish abrasion. But all of them will have this issue, to varying degrees. I absolutely hate car covers, as a result of my research. :lol:

#9 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, and GS, thanks. I was thinking that this might be the case.

Well unfortunately, I am not allowed to build a garage on my property, per the local community government so I'll continue as I am for now however, I'll be looking for some land to build a few garages on to house my vehicles. What the heck, I'll build myself a "working garage" also - always thought about one, seems like this is the perfect opportunity. :)

#6 ·
Unfortunately for me, it's that or wash it daily to keep the water spots away :( I'm actually considering either converting my old office back into a garage (under A/C) or buying the house next door which has sat empty since I bought my house 5 years ago (they are slowly renovating it, but don't rent it. It doesn't even have a kitchen so should go cheap). It has a 1 car garage.

Do you have alternative suggestions instead of a garage or car cover?

#8 ·
Thought about that. Just not sure I want to do that to my neighbors....LOL. They aren't the most attractive things. No deed restrictions to prevent me from doing it though. I know I am thinking of buying one for detailing the car and such in the summer.

#10 ·
I keep my R/L in a shed and cover it w/two queen size sheets. No marks never.
LLLFLY

#16 ·
Home Depot has do it yourself "shrink wrap" on a roll.

You can buy a roll for ~$70 and use it to protect the parts of the car that need it. It is easy to apply, cheap and easy to remove.

I have seen people using this stuff when they are hauling their cars as self applied protection.

This Pratt Retail Specialties 4 roll Stretch Film bundle is perfect for professional moving needs. Use stretch films to wrap and protect furniture, keep doors and drawers closed on cabinets, and bundle off shaped tools and sports equipment. The elasticity of the stretch film keeps items secure and tightly packed.

18 in. x 1500 ft. 80 Gauge
Comes on industry standard 3 in. core
Provides surface protection from dirt and staining
Use to secure bubble cushion to mirrors and pictures
MFG Brand Name : Pratt Retail Specialties
MFG Model # : SF5005006
MFG Part # : SF5005006

Search Results for plastic wrap at The Home Depot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.