Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

p0089

6K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Devair28 
#1 ·
This code has been haunting me for some time now. First off under hard acceleration i hear a loud ticking noise from what sounds like the fuel pressure regulator. Anyone have the same problem?

I am at probably around 330 340 horse to the wheels.
Hahn IC
Exhaust with no cat
piping
tune up to 22psi boost
Intake

#8 ·
Hey 2k4kU4 i read and was doing your was of fixing it but when i pulled the fuel pump fuse the car still started... i did it again and it started bogging down. I then tried to relieve pressure and got all the gas out but when i was about to do the sensor gas came out... what did i do wrong or what should i do from there?

#10 ·
Yep, Rob... Moscow. Didn't bring the car with me, though. It wouldn't do so well here.

Devair, your ticking is only there at full throttle? It must be really loud for you to be able to hear it at full-tilt. Do you have a scanner or any other way to monitor fuel pressure in real time? I would suspect that the ticking you are hearing is the high-pressure fuel pump (HPFP).

What year is your car? If it's not an '09, it may have the paper fuel pump sound insulator instead of the thicker rubberized one.

What may be happening, though, is that your HPFP is on its way out. It's a cam-driven mechanical pump, and if memory serves when they fail it's a lever inside that snaps. Been awhile since I read into it, though.

I don't know that changing my fuel rail pressure sensor was ever called for or if it resolved my issue (rather, the issue went away on its own and didn't come back before I put the car into storage a few months later).

#13 ·
We had the HPFP fail on the Dragon. It was covered under warranty. $575 parts and labor.

The challenge is that we are talking about HIGH PRESSURE fuel lines that need to be opened up and then bled after the fact. Personally I am not interested in dealing with the safety issues enough to save a few bucks.:grouphug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.