Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2013 NASSM Selection thread

14K views 106 replies 34 participants last post by  MomsSol 
#1 ·
there has been a lot of discussion on Facebook concerning the selection of a site for 2013 NASSM and a bunch of us want to move this process forward ... here is a quote from Martin Scott - Phoenix SKY-SOL Club:

The Phoenix SKY-SOL Club had an event this morning and all members who showed up were given the opportunity to provide feedback for the possibility of them hosting 2013 in Flagstaff. All were very excited and some are already tossing ideas around to build a mock event schedule... I can say with out a doubt that if Flagstaff is chosen for the 2013 NASSM there will more than enough volunteers to plan, promote, and execute what would definitely be a great event!

we have solicited via FB for any other group that might have an interest in hosting the 2013 NASSM and The Phoenix SKY-SOL Club is the only group that has stepped forward ...

ANY GROUP that wishes to host the 2013 NASSM should post to this thread NLT March 1st 2012 ... if we have no other groups wanting to host then we will have the 2013 NASSM in Flagstaff AZ.

#40 ·
Now Dave, SE Wisconsin is a helluva lot closer than Toronto! Plus I didn't get to meet you at Asheville. . .
I'm offsetting that long, longer drive with the thought of it being a historical run starting at the top end of Rte 66. There has to be a ton of "diners, drive ins and dives" worth visiting!
Definitely won't be missing a NEUSA 2014!!

Sent from my GT-P1000R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#39 ·
I'm coming in from California and 2012 was to far so I have to go to 2013!! :willy:

#42 ·
That's too bad, but totally understandable!
Can't see those dates ever changing. . .

Sent from my GT-P1000R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#51 ·
I went to Nassm2013.com and regestered and got an auto reply to click on to confirm e-mail address. I did this on 10/1/12 and have not got any more information. That message says you will be notified when reg is complete. Has anyone got a reply after confirming e-mail???

#52 ·
You DID notice this disclaimer at the top of the page, didn't you?

"Welcome to the NASSM2013 Website. Warning: the Website is UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!! Please do not register yet as any information you provide may be lost!!!"

(Underlining in this message was done by me.)

:willy:

#53 ·
guess I should get my glasses checked thanks for answer

#55 ·
Dave has there been any more talk on Facebook about this event? I am not on Facebook

#59 ·
I'm curious about the status of the 2013 NASSM. It's been very quiet here and on the Solstice Forum about this event. Is it still on?

I tried to book a room online at the Radisson Woodlands Hotel in Flagstaff. No rooms available from June 19th to the 23rd, 2013. I called the hotel. They said there's a block on the rooms, but they would allow me to book a room and quote me a rate. The person I spoke with knew nothing of the NASSM, nor did the manager she said she checked with. Can someone give me an update?

#60 · (Edited)
This group thinks the only need for communication is facebook. It is under 2013 national solstice and sky meet and the communication so far it terrible. Last post stated their computer system had crashed and they would be back up soon. Hasn't had any good information there since Oct.
I called and booked a room since I found they have a block saved and had to say GM roadster national meet. Then they had rates and would book. According to facebook they are waiting for the hotel to arrange for us to be able to book on line. Sure seems like organizers would inform us using all the other available forums. See you in Flagstaff????

#61 ·
Your encounter with 2013 NASSM planning s similar to mine. I am a Facebook user, but I find the experience second rate to using this forum for communicating about plans, events, and responses. I prefer to get my information and updates here (or on the Sky forum.) I was beginning to think that something bad had happened to the organizers, or that the planning, or that they may have lost interest, or the execution efforts had just fallen apart. I hope that's not the case.

I called the hotel back and confirm that there is a block of rooms held for the GM Roadsters Club. I was able to to book a room at the rate of $115/night. Yes, I plan to be at 2013 NASSM if there is one.

#62 ·
At least their website is there if not updated.

I am confused about the dates being Thrusday with no events scheduled, a few cruises on Friday and a car show on Saturday. I guess we will have to plan our own cruises if we get there earlier in the week and for Thursday?

This is not inspiring a lot of confidence that there is a good plan that will make a 2-3 day drive worth the investment?

Personally I was hoping to see more like past events that allowed travel over the weekend before the event, then several days of socializing and cruising, followed by a weekend to return home.

Home

I quote

Welcome to the NASSM2013 Website. Warning: the Website is UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!! Please do not register yet as any information you provide may be lost!!! Costs for the event are being developed, and have not yet been finalized. Should you encounter prices, they are currently noted as a place holder value, and are subject to change until the website is finished.

Your hosts for this coming event are the Phoenix Sky-Sol Club in conjunction with GMR. We are working to make your trip to the Southwest a memorable one.

Flagstaff, Arizona is the venue for our National event this year. Flagstaff is nestled in the pines 6,900 feet above the desert valley below. The temperatures in June are usually in the 70-80's during the day and may drop into the 40-50's at night.

There are many beautiful routes and places to visit on your way in to Flagstaff. In order to help you make the most of your trip to the Southwest, the Phoenix Sky-Sol Club has developed rides to bring you to Flagstaff from different places in Arizona, Utah and New Mexico. Please be sure to go to the Rides tab and see if one of these rides will be on your way to Flagstaff. We will be getting off the beaten path and taking roads that are fun to drive, or sightseeing along the way.

We will gather together in Flagstaff, Arizona on Thursday, June 20th, 2013 to kick off the event.

Friday June 21, will have a variety of rides. Be sure to go to the Friday Drives to sign up for one. Each drive will have a basic outline. Due to the number of cars registered, there will be a limit on the number in the group. You will need to register for the ride of your choice. It is possible to be put on a waiting list for a ride if it is already filled to capacity.

#63 ·
This is scarey to think we might travel all that way and they have only one day plannned for rides plus the rides may fill up. Must be that none of the folks planning this event have ever attended a national event. I would expect rides available for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I'm going there to see the beautiful countryside and not sit around a hotel! Guess we will just have to wait and see. Might have to start planning my own rides for the other days. Hey Rob, do you know the area?

#64 ·
I went to Home and looked at the site as Rob posted above. Still under construction but you can look at the Friday runs and also the planned cruises coming to the event. I would like to have a run each day so hopefully they will have directions available that we could do all three runs they have posted for Friday only.
I know driving that far I want to visit both Sodona and the Grand Canyon and hopefully drive on some nice twisty scenic roads.

#69 ·
Goin' t'Arizona

I would like to have a run each day so hopefully they will have directions available
that we could do all three runs they have posted for Friday only.
Surely they will have a number of drives and activities scheduled each day?

Back at 2011 NASSM in Austin we had ^^^ runs ^^^ going out on Tues, Wed, Thurs, and Friday.

May as well wait and make reservations after they get their real website (not FB) up & running.
Am sure there will be other accomodations in the area if the host hotel fills up too fast.
On the way to Flagstaff may stay at Roswell to check out the :willy: space aliens.

Then head west to some flat-out high-speed straight-aways across New Mexico
with a quick stop at the huge VLA antenna field near Socorro.

One might say that one-of-a-kind place is beautiful in it's own way

and should make for some rather unusual top-down roadster photo ops.

#65 ·
We have RMSSC members who do know it pretty well. We are planning on driving over the weekend before, spending the week and coming back the weekend following the event. I expect we will be doing our own self paced cruises and going SHOPPING!

I know that at least Martin has been involved in the execution of several nationals and knows what he is doing. I think they are still working the detailed schedule and plan. Hopefully they will be getting feedback on expanding the event from one day of cruises and one day of car show.

But even if they dont, we can still plan our own event within the host event. :thumbs:

Currently our plan is to depart the Denver area Saturday morning, spend 4 hours getting to Grand Junction. Spending the afternoon / evening in Grand Junction visiting friends, drinking beer and eating good food. There is also going to be time to take a local cruise - of which there are several very good ones in and around Grand Junction.

Sunday we will have a good breakfast and hit the road . .. cruising to Flagstaff where we will arrive Sunday afternoon. That gives us Monday to take it easy, pull some maintenance on the cars, and start to get to know the local area.

Tuesday if there are no official events, we will plan our own local events. Generally we perform a mixture of car centric events and fun human centric events. So it will be a mixture of sight seeing / shopping and going on local cruises for Tuesday and Wednesday.

In the event that the Nationals does not start until Thursday, we will have time to enjoy the local flora and fauna and have plenthy of time to socialize and take it easy.

It would be a nice to have if the Nationals calendar of events started on say Tuesday vice Friday but we are not constrained by that official schedule of events.:grouphug:

#70 · (Edited)
We have RMSSC members who do know it pretty well. We are planning on driving over the weekend before, spending the week and coming back the weekend following the event. I expect we will be doing our own self paced cruises and going SHOPPING!
I had an email exchange with Martin. Planning for NASSM is alive and kicking (my words, not his.) He is attempting to work through some issues to be able post NASSM info on this and the Sky forum. (Again, my words, not his.) I too am planning to arrive a few days early, and do some local exploring.

I know that at least Martin has been involved in the execution of several nationals and knows what he is doing. I think they are still working the detailed schedule and plan. Hopefully they will be getting feedback on expanding the event from one day of cruises and one day of car show.

But even if they dont, we can still plan our own event within the host event. :thumbs:

Currently our plan is to depart the Denver area Saturday morning, spend 4 hours getting to Grand Junction. Spending the afternoon / evening in Grand Junction visiting friends, drinking beer and eating good food. There is also going to be time to take a local cruise - of which there are several very good ones in and around Grand Junction.

Sunday we will have a good breakfast and hit the road . .. cruising to Flagstaff where we will arrive Sunday afternoon. That gives us Monday to take it easy, pull some maintenance on the cars, and start to get to know the local area. Tuesday if there are no official events, we will plan our own local events. Generally we perform a mixture of car centric events and fun human centric events. So it will be a mixture of sight seeing / shopping and going on local cruises for Tuesday and Wednesday
Human-centric events can be much fun. :D
Consider allowing time to explore, in addition to Sedona, Jerome (an historic mining town) and the road out of Jerome to Prescott (kind of a nothing town, but what a great drive on a road full of twisties. Google Maps it.

In the event that the Nationals does not start until Thursday, we will have time to enjoy the local flora and fauna and have plenthy of time to socialize and take it easy.

It would be a nice to have if the Nationals calendar of events started on say Tuesday vice Friday but we are not constrained by that official schedule of events.:grouphug:
:agree:

I have called the hotel and reserved my room. Looking forward.

#66 ·
From the looks of the web site, there are pre-meet runs starting on the 18th or 19th. Seems there will be additional hotel reservations needed though.

Rides

#67 ·
Stay positive folks. I'm assuming this (like all past nationals) is being coordinated by volunteers who also have lives and work. Point being, hang in there! If past Nationals comments are any indications Kappa folks get-er-done. :thumbs:

And no I don't plan on attending 2013. Hoping someday it will happen closer to home and maybe occur during Woodward Dream Cruise week...

Be very cool to attempt to break the all-time Kappa WDC participation cruise night.

#68 ·
This is true...however, every national meet up until this one had major forum(s) input, the website up and operational months before this one, and shared critical information across ALL kappa venues. Just sayin'.

#72 ·
we are thinking about driving from Rochester NY for this event and also have family in Phoenix but need a lot more information. 1 day of runs and 1 car show not worth that long a drive. Any vendors signed up and other activities planed?

#73 ·
I have been involved in two Nationals, both times as a non-committee volunteer and both times as a run leader.

If the number of runs and the number of run groups is limited it is usually because of a lack of the people needed to plan, map, and (especially) lead them.

Rather than planning your own "event within an event" you would better serve the community by volunteering to lead runs. More run leaders means more run groups, and more days that runs can be scheduled.

#74 ·
:agree:

We volunteered to help as necessary. We did not receive a reply. I personally have made several attempts to communicate with the organizers and have not recieved any answer. We as a group have made frequent attempts to communicate at multiple levels to no avail.

I do not see an organizing group that feels that it wants or needs any volunteer help. Therefore, we are forced to make our own plans based on current knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.