Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Final year with manual Transmission

6K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Winchester67 
#1 ·
New to the forum, long time car guy. I have a chance at a red Solstice GXP with 2900 miles. (not a typo) It is a local doctors toy car and offered at $20,000. It is as new as the mileage indicates. I know next to nothing about these cars...what do you folks think it is worth? Anything I need to work about? Thanks for your help...I like the looks, I enjoyed the test drive and I think it is a decent deal, but am not ashamed to admit I don't know much with respect to this car.

#2 ·
What year is the car? Have you taken all the details and plugged it into KBB, edmonds etc. to get an idea what it's worth? Before we bought our Coupe we were looking at 08-09 convertible GXP's loaded, with low mileage and excellent shape and they seemed to be going for around $18,500, give or take. Did the owner mention anything about adding the GP Performance tune? If he added that (and you wanted that extra power), that is worth roughly $600.

#3 ·
2009...he is asking a little over blue book based on the absurdly low mileage. Basically, this is a new car. But we are in Missouri and nobody is buying convertibles right now. Did I mention his new wife HATES the car and can't drive a stick? I am very interested in the GP Performance Tune. Is it still available from dealers?

#19 · (Edited)
Did I mention his new wife HATES the car and can't drive a stick?
The wife hating, can't drive manual may possible be used to your negotiating advantage (along with Pontiac an orphan brand), and how long he's been attempting to sell it.

Enthusiasts wise, the Kappa (Solstice & SKY) are considered "niche" vehicles mainly due it being a 2-seater; whereas Camaro,s, Mustang's (and Vette's) having a larger popularity base and longer historical history. The upside to owing a niche vehicles is that you're not blending in with everyone else. The downside is because the market is small not as many vendors are willing to introduce custom parts to help enthusiasts personalize their vehicles because not enough profit can be generated.

Performance wise, I'd suggest buying:
Solstice Performance Handbook 88958697 to give you an idea what the platform and mechanics are capable of, along with the Solstice book by Gary Witzenburg for the development history of the platform.

The Kappa is also referred to as a parts-bin vehicle even though the body & frame were unique; the engines, transmissions, differential, and miscellaneous
parts were parts-bin in order to hit a specific price-point. The upside is mechanically parts should be readily available, the downside is anything unique to the platform may get more difficult to locate in the years ahead. Pontiac Solstice - Wikicars.

As with any niche vehicle while we may not be as popular (or have as many vendors) as the big-boys do, we tend to be a close-net community that welcome cruisers to hot-rodders, along with the casual enthusiasts. Some folks like that, others prefer the perks that comes from owning something more mainstream & popular.

Just know red automatic coupes are the fastest. :leaving:

#29 ·
2009...he is asking a little over blue book based on the absurdly low mileage. Basically, this is a new car. But we are in Missouri and nobody is buying convertibles right now.
Sounds to me like a good deal, especially if you could negotiate it down a bit.

Did I mention his new wife HATES the car and can't drive a stick? I am very interested in the GP Performance Tune. Is it still available from dealers?
New Solstice? New wife? Hmmmm. Decisions, decisions.
Wife to Solstice comparison: Future value. Performance/road feel/cost of maintenance/cost of upgrades/etc. Attention getting potential.
Wife not knowing how to drive your precious Solstice isn't all a bad thing.

Kidding aside, I've never met anybody who is sorry or had second thoughts about having bought a Solstice.

#4 ·
I'm sure he'd negotiate down from there, and if you really want the car, and with the miles so low, you'd probably end up with a pretty decent deal for a practically new car. I know we were very happy buying ours at 4132 miles.

The tune is still available, you can buy it online from several sources here and take it to the dealer for the install. You might want to ask him if he added anything to the car such as that tune though. As it turns out our coupe had a host of items that were already on the car from the prior owner (who used to be on this site and I think traded in this car for a G8), but the dealer we bought from never mentioned 1 of the items and was not trying to get extra $$ for any of it. The GM tune, and 4 items from DDM works all totaling around $1400 were already on the car, needless to say I was VERY happy about that since I probably would have bought all that stuff at some point anyway.

#5 ·
Good luck with the add on's indeed! Esp as rare as the coupe it. The one I am looking at is bone stock...he is not a car guy at all. I have known him for years and hate to beat him up on the price, but then again $5000 more or less is a lot more to me than him. How active is the forum/clubs? Fan support is a big deal to me...I am coming to this car after being out of the car hobby for a while, but was formerly a 60's convertible muscle car guy. The Mustang guys were about right, the Corvette guys were too rabid for me. (I am going to drive my cars, and the guys that worried about me driving my '62 Vette were idiots in my opinion) The Mopar guys were ok too. So how is this crowd?

#6 ·
I like it here. It's a bit quiet but that's from my perspective spending over a decade on the fullsize bronco forums.....when you sell millions of broncos over many many years there is a never ending supply of people on the forums, parts availability etc.

We are new here though, so my view is from about 3 months now. But if you look around you will see that the vendors are here, tons of tech, there are hardcore owners who love their rides, and you will get drivers as well as pamperers. Honestly this car is a play toy that my wife wanted, but we both drive her occasionally when the weather is nice. But we really like the car. I have a smile on my face every time I pull the car back into the garage....only my bronco that I've owned 18yrs has done that for me. Good thing my bronco is actually my vehicle though, I've had a clean driving record for 25 or more years and the coupe would get me in trouble, I just can't resist flooring it.

#7 ·
Welcome to the Forum! If I was looking and found a stick with that kind of mileage I would buy it for 20k. Sounds like you know the seller and the history of the car. These are big pluses. I am an x Corvette guy and i am very happy that I became a "Solman"! As for the forum and the people both are great.

There is so much you can do to these cars "mod" wise. They are a lot of fun.
Hope it all works out!:thumbs:

#8 ·
Thanks! Seems like a good bunch so far. (since I am from MO of course I have had a couple of Bronco's over the years too...otherwise I would have had to shovel my driveway!) Northern Sol, I see a tonneau cover mentioned...that is a HUGE plus for me, as I used to run my MG with just the tonneau cover year round back when I was 17...this car seems to tap into a lot of those old happy memories, and if a tonneau is available....

#9 ·
If you get your Sol we will have to chat. The tonneau is one of my favorite " mods". Look up some of my tonneau threads you will find lots of pics. As for availability I would check with Tom at Crate Engine. He had had luck in finding them for other members. Or we can negotiate / discuss as I have two tonneaus but you would have to get the drill pattern and snaps that the tonneau adheres to.....my second tonneau I bought from a member who sold his Sol so the snaps went with the car. Was obviously not an issue for me as I have the snaps installed on my car to go with tonneau # 1. I like the tonneau so much that when I had a chance to get a spare I went for it as they are not making then anymore.

When you check with Tom at Crate Engine you can also get the GMPP tune from him. He has the best price around.:thumbs:

#10 ·
Good to know all the way around. Always helps to have an inside guy, so Tom will get the call if I get the car. I am still on the fence, but man, I like it. The clutch is weird; seems to engage pretty high but my leg adjusted after the first take off. To me, the tonneau is a vital part of the convertible equation...keeps the seats cool in the summer, and the driver warm in the winter as long as there is not a passenger. Besides, nobody runs them anymore and I like to be a little different! Looks like with a join date of 08, you are pretty into the platform. Which is good in my eyes...I was hoping this was going to be a "cult car" when I started to look into it. Serious owners not afraid to make a few mods to improve the car/personalize it. I am looking for a toy car that a few years from now everyone is slapping their foreheads over, saying "Why didn't I get one when they were just a "used car"?"

#13 ·
I was hoping this was going to be a "cult car" when I started to look into it. Serious owners not afraid to make a few mods to improve the car/personalize it. I am looking for a toy car that a few years from now everyone is slapping their foreheads over, saying "Why didn't I get one when they were just a "used car"?"
We'll see if the car develops that way, only time will tell. If you get it, it's a decent deal. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride. :dthumbs:

#11 ·
I think that is a good deal, and would also go for it. As for the forum, for the most part they are pretty good and anything about the car is covered, however, some will bite your head off (in a good way) when you ask a question that has already been beaten to death, but I say ask away, to me that just educates all the newer owners(like me) on something that I wouldn't normally of thought about doing a SEARCH on.

And welcome to the forum!!
Bert

#12 ·
Yes, the "search" function is your friend...but new posts are the lifeblood of a forum, so I personally never yell at anyone for posting a legit question. To me, a new post may bring someone else into the conversation that has something to say since the question was asked three months ago. But that is just me. I also appreciate the guy that writes a four paragraph response, then sees the same question two weeks later! I can see why he says "search!".

As for the car, I have to admit it is haunting me. I liked them from day one, but was more into motorcycles at that point in my life. Now that I want a convertible again, frankly nothing on the new car lot has my attention. I get a chance at a time capsule, top of the line Sol...it sounds like the right answer the more I type about it....

#15 ·
Member since 05 Dave...sounds like I know what your vote will be if it becomes a future bargain or not! Look at the other fun cars around today...Miata's are common, Vette's are overpriced, Camaros and Mustangs are muscle cars not sports cars, 370 Z cars are...well, I am not sure what they are. But they don't turn heads like the Solstice, I do know that. And the Sol is fast enough to be entertaining without being "go to jail, stupid, fast". Distinctive without being too much. I like it. A lot.

#18 ·
Member since 05 Dave...sounds like I know what your vote will be if it becomes a future bargain or not! Look at the other fun cars around today...Miata's are common, Vette's are overpriced, Camaros and Mustangs are muscle cars not sports cars, 370 Z cars are...well, I am not sure what they are. But they don't turn heads like the Solstice, I do know that. And the Sol is fast enough to be entertaining without being "go to jail, stupid, fast". Distinctive without being too much. I like it. A lot.
Well, even a few mild mods can make it pretty darn fast, and if you look at some of the people that have gotten more serious, they are producing very impressive numbers, out of what I call the "sewing machine" (122 cu in).

but you left out some other cars I at least compared it to....audi tt, porsche boxster, BMWZ4, Honda S2000, and really for the money you are putting out, the bang is worth the buck.

#17 ·
Yep I think we are!!! Here to help! The "moding" is one of the best things about these cars. You just spread the "mods" out over time and when you have the $$ go get 'em!!! You will also want to go to the yearly "National meets" and find a club / chapter that is close to you. It is really cool when you are thinking about/ researching a "mod" and you are able to see it on another Sol and get the owners feedback.:thumbs:

#21 ·
Nice try,

Not true but nice try.

While I totally support your assessment about the color red . . .

There is quick and fast. HP = fast. Automatic or high skill = quick

I will take a high skill manual with 500 HP :yesnod::driving:

#24 ·
Winchester67,

Great to hear you're interested in the Solstice and welcome aboard the forum! If you have any questions or concerns about service and parts, the dealership would be a great place to start. Hope to see you as an owner member on the forum. Post a pic if you do get it. Good luck!

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Pontiac Owner Resources and Information | Pontiac

#26 ·
BTW, there was a recent Kappa Don't thread you might find informative. Searched for couldn't find it. Basically listed common don't or be aware advice. For example, don't close hood with door fully open, do install NRA sticker on window and do wear camo hunting clothing when dropping car off if car must be lifted. Anyone?

#28 ·
Welcome and get that car before someone else grabs it. I've been a member since last year. Bought my baby, came here and love it this forum. Respectful towards everyone and that includes women like me. They do not look down on me and THAT IS A HUGE one with me. Hell..because of this forum, I ripped off my fender skirt and changed my own battery and saved $300

Get that car in your driveway now, ok? :)

#30 ·
I drive my Sol year round. In Montana. In SNOW. Lots of it. Not because I have to, but just because I was so silly happy after buying it, I couldn't think of enough reasons not to. Haven't looked back since I pulled the trigger. Drove my wife's G8 for a few days and fell in love with my car all over again. The guys/gals here are awesome. Just great. The aftermarket may be limited, but there are still top notch vendors coming out with new products pretty regularly. And of such good quality too! The vendors customer support that I have dealt with so far has been exceedingly awesome too. Basically, great car, great COMMUNITY, great vendors and parts, and just a great time all around. I may not be a super poster, but that's because anything I've wanted to know I found using the search feature :) So much knowledge and personality here. You wouldn't regret the car that's for sure!

#31 ·
Thanks for all your help...I am in Columbia, which is close enough to St Louis for me to strike out for a club meeting in an English car, let alone a modern car! (spent my youth on the English car/motorcyle progression, so it is with all fondness that I say that) Still on the fence...he has not really advertised it so I am sort of dragging my heels on making a decision. More I read, the more I like it. Seems like a lot for a toy, until I start to total up what I have spent on toys in the past.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.