Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Punisher

879K views 4K replies 187 participants last post by  G-Ram 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Attachments

See less See more
#1,118 · (Edited)
Sent Joe the money tonight. Scheduled for early July. I have to pull the seat cover off my spare seat as he reuses the factory hardware. Looking forward to seeing what he comes up with!

#1,120 ·
Yes, Joe got married and needed "enhanced" cash flow. The good news for us is that first he was unable to find a buyer and second the business really took off and started major growth soon after.

He sounds like a very happy man now.

#1,122 ·
I have read about this spray on removable protectant. It looks interesting. The product my painter uses is forever.

#1,124 ·
Looks very interesting. I wonder how much of a lip it leaves when you pull back the tape.

#1,125 ·
Punisher went to the car doctor today. Getting the AC repaired. New gaskets, new accumulator and new refrigerant.

Tomorrow, Saturday it’s a busy day, Cars and Coffee in the AM then over to Golden for the Supercruise

The Golden Super Cruise

Sunday morning we are taking Punisher and the Green Dragon over to a local charity car show for the day.

Should be a fun time.

#1,127 ·
Saturday update

Got the interior LEDs installed. The cables to the lights were too short to reach across the cabin behind the seats so I got out my soldering supplies and hook up wire and lengthened them. Four conducter cables means eight solder joints. But it's together and tested.

I also finally got around to hooking up the custom license plate Stephan made for me. The punisher in glass that lights up. It is held on with magnets for shows.

I also cleaned up some of the aux wiring and wired up the engine bay lights. They are powered by the car DC power and switched.

Only major thing left to do for the light show is the under body lights.

#1,128 ·
Car show burn

Spent 7 hours setting up and executing a local car show. 150 + cars. Entered the Punisher and Green Dragon in the sports car category. The Punisher F150 in the modified truck. 93 HOT degrees ...I'm fried!

Met lots of fun people and had a good time.

#1,129 ·
So where are the pictures of the trophies you got?

#1,131 ·
I took Punisher's front bumper cover in to Jeff's to get a "nose job".

Long time listeners . . .

May know that the car is covered with a special clear that is highly resistant to road rash. As a result its thick, resiliant on the top and very hard under surface. This allows the top layer to resist damage while the layers under can and do flex to absorb the incoming energy. They then return to their initial condition.

When I hit the tire tred in 2010 it flexed the bumper which put ripples in the color layer. The bumper was still perfectly painted but had a series of lines where the bumper had flexed as it absorbed the energy of the impact.

When they repaired the front bumper, because it had custom graphics on it that they wanted to retain, they masked off the stripes and flames, roughed up the layer of clear, shot new color and then cleared over the top. It looked great.

However when it received rocks on the road, causing the clear to flex, the new layer of clear separated from the initial layer of clear and tiny clear pimples showed up. It felt perfectly flat so all the action was deep inside the paint, between the initial layer of clear and the new layer of clear.

The entire bumper is being repainted. :thumbs: And better still, they are painting the area inside the bumper where the grilles mate to the slots black. So the slots will not show up if you sand a foot away and stare into the joint between the grilles and the bumper.

And the price is . .. zero because its Jeff and maintenance work.:thumbs::thumbs:

#1,132 ·
Looks like "Punisher" has turned into a really needy child with all the work you keep putting into him. :devil: :lol:

#1,133 ·
It is a labor of love . . .

And its really an engineering exercise and has been for the past three years.

But when I go to car shows and people say things like "This is a $100k car" I just smile.:yesnod::lol:

It took me 15 minutes to get the cover off. Half an hour to transport it and I will end up with an even nicer look when its done. Basically for the cost of gas. Not a bad exchange.

#1,137 ·
Had an expensive near miss by lightning last night. Took out my cable modem, three switches one of me wireless routers, Ethernet cards in tow computers, one of my security systems, one phone system, and the garage amp.

It also took out two Comcast boxes.

Took me ten hours to trouble shoot and order parts. :willy::leaving:

#1,139 ·
20 years of fixing computers says you are going to have other problems down the road. Lightning (surge) damage is fluky, and parts that received non-lethal damage will fail later. See how far you can push the insurance company to replace as much of your computers as you can, because you will experience additional failures sooner or later.

To be on the safe side, now would be a good time to backup all of those terabytes of storage you have. Good Luck. :brentil:

#1,140 ·
I have multiple layers of defense. Whole house protection on the breaker box, surge protectors on the power for everything, UPS's for all the electronics.

The issue was near field strength was enough such that the long lines of the ethernet had current generated. The failed switches power supplies are still good. They died via current coming in the ethernet.

#1,141 ·
The same thing happened to me several years ago. The house got struck and the lightning went to ground via the aluminum siding, near to my ethernet cable linking the 2nd floor to the basement distribution center. Basically, everything that was connected to the ethernet was non functional thereafter.

I've seen the same with long RS-232 cables.

Dave

#1,143 ·
Right Hand Rule :brentil:

BTDT, When I lived in the country.

I still recall installing (solder/ironing) Logic Grounds on concrete floors under the raised portion for Large Scale Computer systems last century, ALL with large welding cable attachments..... took the excess and made the best Automotive jumper cables ever.

Damn, I am getting OLDer. :brentil:

#1,145 ·
OK got the front bumper repainted. Looks good. It still needs some color polishing but time is a wasting do that will have to follow the Nats

Got the cockpit LEDS installed and working ok.

Spent the last four hours crawling around under the car trying to figure out how to install the "special" lighting effects. I think they are done. Now just need to go figure out cable run for power. Some fun!

#1,151 ·
Trophy pics

Promised pics of the trophy

Attachments

#1,152 ·
Passage from under the car into the cockpit

I wanted to tell anyone who is interested that I found a quick and easy way to get power to the under car lights. There is a 1/2 inch hole in the bottom skin of the car below the door sill. It’s toward the back edge of the sill. I pulled the door sill off and laid under the car to peer up through the hole in the bottom skin. I saw daylight! The rear clip slot opens up directly to the hole in the bottom skin. I ran my power leads through that hole to the under car lights. That gets you into the cockpit and you can run the wires where ever you need to do from that point.