Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

HIT & RUN by uninsured motorist!

8K views 50 replies 32 participants last post by  omw41 
#1 · (Edited)
So the other day while on my way home from work, an idiot in black dodge ram pickup just decided to change lanes while I was at a stop light and run right into my driver's side door. I told him to pull over so we could exchange info and he agreed. Then when we did, and I got out of my vehicle and approached his truck, he took off. I ran back to my car and went after him. Stupid guy thought he could out run my turbo, yeah right! I caught up with him at the next light, he then ran the red light. I waited for it to turn green and went after him for 2 more blocks trying to get his plate number, then he slammed on his brakes trying to make me run into the back of him. He then took a sharp right into a dead end street. I soon caught up with him again and was able to get his complete plate number with my iphone. He then peeled out into a 180 and sped away. That was fine with me because all I wanted was his plate number. The guy was clearly crazy. I called the police and filled a hit and run report. He damaged my driver's side door outer skin and it also needs to be re-aligned. He also dented in part of my fender. No other damage to the hood or any other part of the car. I guess it could have been worse.

Now my question is does anyone have any experience with filling a claim with their insurance company and will it make my insurance go up, even though I am not at fault? Or will it go up regardless? I tried calling my insurance company and asking the same question before filling the claim, but they said they could not tell me at all if my rates would increase. I find that hard to believe.

The door being fixed is my main concern. I was planning on switching out the fender with a vented fiberglass one anyway. Maybe one of Norms. I just hate driving around a jacked up car. :cuss: I've only had my GXP since late August.:(

See less See more
#36 ·
Having gone thru this years ago, let me repeat- let your insurance handle it. In my case, it took about 3 years -but I eventually got a check from my insurance company for my deductible.

#37 ·
Unless she files a police report that the vehicle was stolen by him, she cannot also claim that she did not give him permission to use his vehicle so as a result, she is not responsible. So unless there is a police report with charges against him, she cannot get away with that. Sounds like her insurance is trying to take advantage of you.

#38 ·
I agree with the above statement and if she sticks to her story then he was driving a stolen vehicle.

#39 ·
Exactly, either she gave him permission, in which because he doesn't have insurance, her's kicks in, or she didn't give him permission, in which case he was driving a stolen vehicle, and she would have to file a police report to prevent her insurance from going after her. Her insurance shouldn't be going after you, they should be forcing her to either file a police report or making her pay for the deductible because as far as they would see it, if she doesn't file a report that her car was stolen, she did give him permission. She can always claim it was stolen, and she doesn't know whom stole it. But she wouldn't be able to claim it wasn't stolen, and they wouldn't go after her as a result. Just doesn't make sense.

#40 ·
they most likely know that your ins co will subrogate against them so they will be paying for the repairs later, but will not owe as much as your ins co only pays to the policy limit and if they (the at fault co) where handling your claim there is more you are entitled to, like a rental that is like your car which your ins co will not do and rental is usually an added endorsement you may not have. Every state has an insurance commissioner you can plead your case to as long as you have not retained an attorney; look on line for them at your state web site. In most states the driver ins co is the 1st responsible and the the car of the at fault person, so they (her co ) are definitly going to own the claim at some point. If you state is a no fault state they may have a mini-tort law the at fault co will have to pay your deductable up to $500, you can also check that at the state web site.

Good luck

#42 ·
Ug, this happened to a friend of mine. Luckily, she had $50K of uninsured coverage. The tricky part was, all claims had to first be paid out on her accident, before she could collect. So, it took about 8 months and a lawyer to finally get the check from the insurance company.

#45 · (Edited)
UPDATE!
I am happy to say, after almost 2 months of me fighting with her insurance company, and almost giving up, they finally gave in and are mailing me a check to cover the damages and settle the claim. I had a lawyer friend of mine write up a threatening letter and that seemed to do the trick. The very next day I got the phone call that they wanted to pay me for the damage. Good news is that I already had it fixed for around $400 dollars a few weeks ago. I just could not sit around and wait with my baby dented up. The best part is that they are paying me $647, the cost of the highest estimate I got. So i actually will come out ahead. Now I can get my new wheels installed and body kit painted. :)

#46 ·
Yay!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App

#47 ·
congrats, tho I would not say you came out ahead when all factors are considered. Factor in some time for getting estimates and even an hour of lost sleep due to the fighting, and a car show you could not attend and I think you are still owed something. It is sad that all this has to happen for people in the right to be found innocent and returned close to original.

#48 ·
:party:
Great news. A great ending to this story would be that the driver of the truck that hit you got his come-uppins.

#50 ·
I did not want to file a claim with my insurance because I was afraid my rates may go up. So I went through theirs since they were at fault anyway. They were fighting with me, not wanting to pay at first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.