Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Replace TPS?

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  chickenwire 
#1 ·
I am getting some new tires. I don't trust anyone to jack up the car. I am taking the wheels off myself, loading them along with the new tires in the back of my pickup, and heading to a garage to have them mounted. Do I have to buy / replace the TPS on each tire when I buy new tires? My current TPS works fine and I know about reprogramming.

#5 ·
If you don't put each wheel back onto the same corner from which it was removed, you will have to reprogram your TPMS. It's not difficult, but I'd check to see if the tire shop is competent to do it and let them do it for you. Fore me it's just easier to let them do it, especially when they throw it in for the price of the product and service I'm already buying from them.

#9 ·
Just something to keep in mind... There's a battery inside each TPM. They last around 7-10 years, so if you've got 5-6 years on them already, and you're changing tires, you might want to consider installing new ones NOW rather than having to unmount and install in say two years. Could last longer though.

#10 ·
Thanks Dave and Sky guy The car is a 2006 with 3400 miles on it. I bought it last fall with 2800 miles, drove it about three weeks then put it away for the winter. My man cave is heated so I've managed to do mud guards, Curt receiver,Solo NA axle back, Fiamm horn, Venom brace, Probeam and DDM backbone, DDM cam cover in stainless, and the brushed stainless "Solstice" logo under the bonnet,stubby antenna, and the G2 red caliper paint. I will flogg the RSA's in spring for a set of Hankook ventus .
Yes, I have an owner'sanual and have bought a lot of Solstice dealer literature off ebay.
Can I just eliminate the tps in the wheels?
When I put winter tires and wheels on the winter car, I did not put the sensors in the wheels. JUst got a dash light which I covered with a piece of tape until spring. Can I do this with the Solstice or is the system more complicated? I mean just eliminate the tps entirely, as the car goes to bed in October.
If not, thanks for the heads up on the tps battery. Too much technology..guess that's why I love my 57 MGA!
Thanks in advance!
You guys(gals) are the best!
John

#14 ·
So in summary, if you do not have TPMS sensors, you don't need to replace them.

IMPORTANT NOTE. If your tire shop recommends you replace the non-existent TPMS sensors, under NO circumstances should you agree to do it. It could result in an unnecessary lightening of the wallet.

That is all.

;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.