Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Fan shroud cutting into rad hose 2.0L

22K views 132 replies 29 participants last post by  llllfly 
#1 · (Edited)
You can not see this cut.
Run your hand under top hose on the botton
of hose. Mine was cut into by the fan shroud
fin. This cut is so deep it needs replace.
LLLFLY

received PM today from GM asking for my
VIN# and dealer info.
Stay turn on last pg.

#80 ·
That's a short term solution. I think that will also cut into the hose.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App

#84 ·
That's a short term solution. I think that will also cut into the hose.
Nope. The zip tie holds it close and so it can't bang and thus cut, but not tight enough to dig in. However, I am going to change from one zip to two looped together - kinda figure-8 like. Thus one goes over the clip and the other around the hose.

I went to a pet store and picked up a small dog collar
1/2" wide. Placed the metal ring over the filter box clip.
Hooked up the collar.
Done.
Buy in black never see it.
LLLFLY
Great idea!

#81 ·
I went to a pet store and picked up a small dog collar .
1/2" wide. Placed the metal ring over the filter box clip.
Hooked up the collar.
Done.
Buy in black never see it.
LLLFLY

#85 ·
Nice!

#82 ·
my '08 gxp has the issue. Very small, but it is there.
:(

#86 ·
I have never laughed harder about how many posts can be created from one simple small problem and the obvious solutions in my entire life! All of y'alls fixes are just as effective as the rest of them, you do understand that don't you? :) Thanks, and I so appreciate threads like this for making me know I chose the right vehicle for me (seriously - no sarcasm in my comment!)... with all the serious and major problems I read about with the Audi TT, VW Beetle, BMW Z3, Z4, Ford Miata... I mean Mazda Miata.... I am so happy that this is among one of the most talked about "failures" the Solstice/Sky can have :)
Incidentally, my '97 Dodge Ram has the exact same woven nylon sheath on the upper radiator hose where it rests against the fan shroud as GM put on the later Kappas. It's served me well since I bought the truck new, and it's still going strong.
Thanks for putting a smile on my face, everyone :)

#87 ·
Yeah, talk about automotive OCD! :)

I guess it means they all care about their cars. God help us if we ever tackle a really contentious issue, it will go on forever! ;)

#88 ·
I guess it means they all care about their cars. God help us if we ever tackle a really contentious issue, it will go on forever! ;)
Like I said a few pages back in this thread... the passenger airbag sensor failure issue is far more 'contentious' (important and expensive to fix) IMO... yet few seem concerned - except those that have the issue :)

#89 ·
No one forces anyone to read this. If you don't care about it, move on.

#91 ·
Clearly you missed the winking smileys.

No one was criticizing anyone else, just noting the extent to which we all obsess over our cars. :)

#96 ·
Now I wish I didn't decide to read this thread! I have passed over reading it many times, but gave in when I saw the 7 pages. I just spent over 30 min in the garage messing with the zipties to get the placement perfect and lining the area with the slit with velcro to pad where the zip tie rests. We are obsessed, but I look for any excuse to work with something on my car.

I'm going to check if this is covered under my certified warranty because I'd rather have it replaced with the revised part if possible.

#97 ·
Hose just cost me 187.00 to replace. Service tec when replacing it twisted the hose befor he clamped it, which lifted it around 2" off of the shroud.
Now the new hose from GM came with a protected shief around the general area where it would sit if it were on the shroud.
Did not need any type of ties to keep it off.

#99 ·
I checked the hose on my 2008 GXP that has 27000 miles on it and found what I consider to be an unacceptable cut in it. I would not feel comfortable starting off on a long trip knowing that a radiator hose is in this poor of shape.

While I agree that the passenger side airbag problem is a more important issue I see this hose problem as a design fault and should be corrected by GM at their expense.

I have an extended warranty and will be taking my car to the dealer today. I will post the results when it is fixed.

Attachments

#101 ·
If the hose blows or leaks.
You might need your air bag.
Do not put one above the other.
LLLFLY

#102 ·
Boy am I glad I read this 'cause mine is going in next week for a non responding rad fan so I'll go to my storage where the car is and check my rad hose and if it has an issue like these on here then they can fix it at the same time. A blown rad hose can smoke an engine quick if the wrong person is behind the wheel.

#103 ·
OK, I'll say it again. A lot of folks (myself included) have this issue. Yet I've not see a SINGLE report of ANYONE having had a blown rad hose on these cars - and that includes folks with nearly 200k miles on theirs.

By all means do some simple mod(s) to avoid exacerbating the problem, but you shouldn't need to worry about replacing the hose - unless, perhaps, yours happens to be deeply cut... to the depth of the nylon reinforcements.

This is a storm in a teacup and nothing to get so worked up about.

#105 ·
I do. Mine is cut to the danger point. While Soup is right that no one has posted about having one burst, the numbers are increasing of those which are severely cut. I don't know why this is coming out just now but it is. I will say it again - this sits right above the front wheels whicb means a catastrophic failure could not only strand you, it could wreck you. Especially in cars that are designed to be driven hard on winding roads. I think it a safety issue. I think it is also sad that GM is not standing behind their product. The fix, while not budget busting, is not cheap either. To me, the fix requires replacing the unseemingly expensive hose. Zip ties and other patches, including mine, are temporary. The hose is cut near through and must be replaced. And a zip tie just replaces one thin pressure point on hot, soft rubber with another.

People, especially one person, have complained about the length of this thread. Interesting since about half the thread is their rants about the length of the thread. I cannot recall a thread where people would spend so much effort to say that the problem some are obviously concerned about is not a problem. Especially one person who seems to think he is in charge. That we should focus on their problem instead. Well, there is a thread for the airbag issue. This is not it. No one is belittling the airbag issue. If you cant add something constructive to this thread, stay out so those of us that care can discuss it. Again, you one is making anyone read this post.

Rant completed, back to the question. While I do think it is a major issue, GM is not standing behind it and no recall will happen until they start bursting. Hopefully, that does not involve people getting into serious wrecks.

#106 ·
People, especially one person, have complained about the length of this thread. Interesting since about half the thread is their rants about the length of the thread. I cannot recall a thread where people would spend so much effort to say that the problem some are obviously concerned about is not a problem. Especially one person who seems to think he is in charge. That we should focus on their problem instead. Well, there is a thread for the airbag issue. This is not it. No one is belittling the airbag issue. If you cant add something constructive to this thread, stay out so those of us that care can discuss it. Again, you one is making anyone read this post.
If that is directed at me, you have your facts wrong. I do NOT have the airbag issue. I DO have the hose issue. I still think the hose issue is overblown and am trying to get folks not to panic (I'm not complaining about the length of this thread, why would I?). Why would you think that I think I'm in charge? 'Cos I disagree with you about the relative importance of this? In any case, I'm not attacking you personally, far from it. Just trying to get folks not to spend money (IMO) unnecessarily.

#108 ·
Given my personal experience; I would be less than optimistic that GM would give a rats ass about the radiator hose. :lol: Like I have stated before, obviously they are aware of the issue, because they went with the sleeved version for the 09s.

For a large corporation, it is always about the numbers first. They weigh the cost of a mass recall, vs the cost of a few targeted lawsuits.

In the grand scheme of things, I would have gladly exchanged a bad hose for the crap I went through. :lol: My sincere advice is to deal with the defect and move on. Save the big guns for more serious issues. :thumbs:

#110 ·
I took my car in on Friday for the cut hose problem. Service Manager feels that it is not a good idea to drive the car in this condition for very long. He had to order a replacement part and it won't be here until Thursday.

Parts Department only showes one part number for the hose and they don't think it has any protective shroud on it.

The Service Manager agrees that a new hose will develop the same problem but told me that they could not do any changes when installing the new hose that is not approved by GM. Any modification would have to be done by me. He was very helpful and is attempting to get GM to help with the cost of the repair.

For a temporary fix I went to Home Depot and bought a piece of foam insulation for a water pipe for $1.25. Cut off a four inch section, slit it length wise, and installed it around the radiator hose. Took the car out for a drive and checked it every fifteen minutes to make sure the foam was not melting. Seems to be working fine.

When the new hose is installed I will try one of the other more permanent fixes suggested in this thread.

Attachments

#115 ·
#111 ·
Checked our 2 and both being '09's have the nylon sleeve over the hose. But I like the look with the foam wrap that Jack19 is trying. Seems like that would cushion the vibration better. That or use another piece of rubber hose wrapped around the main hose. Letting that wear through to the main one would probably take a while!

#112 ·
If it's foam, it won't last, the rib will dig a spot right down to the hose and it starts over again. The post several pages back showing the '09 part number is the way to go for a stock fix, shoulda had the dealer order that part and be done.

#113 ·
I agree that is why this is only a temporary fix. I will be watching it carefully until Thursday.

Maybe I am being optimistic but I am hoping that GM would not fix a problem on a model car for one year and not fix it for the same model for all the other years.

#116 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.