Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Solstice starts itself

5K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  rob the elder 
#1 ·
I was perplexed when one day I shut off the ignition only to have the car (08 standard Solstice with no power locks, alarms, etc) start itself. I could shut it off but in a few seconds it would again start! This even happened when I removed the key. I even tried to shift the automatic transmission and put it back in park. This did not help, as the engine still started with or without the key. After awhile all warning lights on the dash went out (I now had the key out of ignition), and the car did not self-start.
Nobody seems to tell me what is happening. Will the car start itself unattended? Does the key with electronic chip have to be present again before the engine will fire?
I've never heard of this before. I hope someone reading this can give me some insight to the mysterious problem and ease my worries that it will start unattended. At least it did not drive itself away--perhaps that is next.:willy:

#3 ·
Sounds like an electrical short to me. Unless you know a lot about chasing electrical gremlins, this is an issue for a dealer to fix. And it will probably not be cheap or easy.

#4 ·
I agree with the Treeman. Maybe more electronic than electrical. I had a remote (aftermarket) on a pick up that started doing this. Given that the starting process is computer controlled on the Solstice I could see a chip/board malfunction causing this.

#5 ·
First thing I recommend when there are electrical anomolies is the battery condition. The car will react randomly if the voltage drops to the minimum level requried to run the car. I have seen a plethora of seemingly disconnect and random electrical events happen due to a low battery.

The car security system should lock out the ignition start sequence if the key is not present. Check to see if the green padlock light is lit when this happens. It is remotely possible that something is wrong with the ignition inhibit system that is actually sending a false start signal.

Since this security system should preclude starting without the right key chip in the ignition, I would seriously look there in any case. If something else is causing this behavior, the security system should not allow the car to start in any case.

#7 ·
the owners' manual refers to how the car will continue to spin the starter even if you release the key quickly. And it will. This system is probably being engaged by some gremlin, as stated above. Now, as for starting w/o the key, I don't think so since the key is not present.

#8 ·
This exact problem came up on NPR/Car Talk a couple of weeks ago. Click and Clack's only suggestion was exactly what glake said above, maybe a P.O. has installed a remote start device that got triggered somehow.

#9 ·
That is a strange issue to be having. Keep us posted and let us know if you take it to a dealership. Feel free to contact us privately but please include your VIN#, name, situation, contact information, dealer, and mileage. I hope this is resolved quickly. Regards.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

#10 ·
Thanks everyone for the ideas.
First, no, there is no remote with this vehicle. No door locks, no alarm, nothing like that.
I have had the car several years, and never haf the problem before. It not only cranked the engine but quickly started. The key was not in start or crank position, so it could be freely removed. I moved the key back to start position while the engine was running, then back to stop. It stopped momentarily, turned over and started again. It did the same thing when I removed the key. Finally in stop position after about five tries, the lights on the dash went out, I gingerly removed the key, and it did not start again.
I left the car for about three hours, and it did not start itself.
I then removed the negative battery cable which I have not yet connected again (out of town for a few days, so I did not want "Christine" leaving me-- I still love her).
I am hoping this may reset the electronic start functions. The cat is not driven often, so I will take the advice of one of you and fully chargd the battery (though I do not think it was low).
I am in Puerto Rico in a remote mountain area, so access to a GM dealer is not easy.
To-morrow I will reconnect and charge the battery, and make some starting on and off attempts to see what happens. I will report what happens.
I see some of you say the key with the chip when not present will not allow the engine to run. How then did the engine continue to run with the key withdrawn from ignition?
Thanks everyone, and I hope the GM man will stay with me to help resolve the problem!

#13 ·
Go to the message #9 and click on the GMCustomerSvc link on the far left. A box should drop down and one of the options is "Send a private message . . . "
Click on that link and the software should put you into the private message area where you can sent Matt the information he is requesting.

Good luck.

Edit: . . . or click on TomatoSoup's link in the previous message, it'll take you to the same place. :thumbs:

#15 ·
OK, that's a good one. Software meets hardware and suddenly there's a soul in la machina. Are you close to the Aricibo antenna? Maybe you're getting a big dose of RF?

#16 ·
The latest:
I gave the battery a charge as was suggested.
I reconnected the negative terminal.
For the last two days the engine has not self-started with or without the key.
I do not know if what happened was an anomoly or a problem that may reoccur.
I take heart with one comment that said the car will not run with the key absent.
I hope that means I can safely park it without returning to a running engine or, worse yet, somrone driving off.
Thanks for all the great help and suggestions.

#17 ·
If it happens again you should try replacing the battery.

#18 ·
I started having problems again with the ignition switch after a long period of normal behaviour. Sometimes it would turn over and start, then sometimes not.
I recently changed the battery with a Bosch. It seemed to stop the lack of turn over, but the ignition still plays tricks by cranking engine briefly or sounding chimes with key removed even leaving automatic lights on (these can be turned off by the light switch).
I do not have easy access to any GM dealer--they are scarce in Puerto Rico and do not carry many parts. My next try is to let PepBoys change the electronic part of the ignition switch (strangely unavailable from a GM dealer but in stock at PepBoys.
The Solstice remains grounded for many many months as I try to figure this one out. Like I said I cannot depend on a far away GM dealer without parts. By the way the GM desler wanted $100 for the ignition part (they would order) which costs $28 at PepBoys. Then they want to keep the car requiring me to rent a car to get home!
You can see why I am forced to figure this thing out myself.
Disgusting since the car has only 22,000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.