Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

My GM CAI System... Just in my Sol! Picture.

8K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  toddwcpa 
#1 · (Edited)
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=1/1615312331.jpg&s=x12

Here is what the GM CAI looks like installed. Love the sound. I don't know how to explain it, but the car feels more like a sports car now. Didn't have to wait, my GM Parts guy found one in a warehouse in Austin. Same deal with my splash guards. Someone here is stocking up on Solstice parts. Dealer charged me 1/2 hour labor. So much stuff came out of the engine compartment that I could barely find enough space in the Sol to get it all home. Notice the orange pre-filter filter bag with the GM Performance parts logo. Nice.

Chest Rockwell

#2 ·
Can you tell how much you paid with installation?

Notice any HP difference?

Are you thinking of getting GM exhaust as well?

Appreciate your answers. Thinking of doing the same with my Sol. Just wanted to get some figure$$.

#3 · (Edited)
CAI info

A little over $400 incl. installation. Took 30 minutes. They sold me the part for right around what GM Parts Direct charges after they knew I was hip to the GMPD site. I don't know about HP. It feels peppier. Maybe the growl creates the illusion. It's still more fun! Look forward to getting the exhaust someday as well. Little Chromies on the way. I just can't resolve the bra issue: cheap GM or pricey clear 3M. Or none at all! I have tiny chips on the front and back bumpers now. Kept it showroom for two whole months. I guess "the frost is off the pumpkin" now! Time, to start driving the %$@# out of it! The CAI is the first performance part I've ever put on one of my vehicles. I can't wait to get out and drive again.

Went with GM because the part was readily available and obvious warranty and installation benefits.

Chest

#4 ·
Could you give me the part number or name on the GMPD. Want to have some bargaining chips when I order mine.

My GM parts manager quoted me $420 for the GM CAI and $60 for installation.

Thanks a bunch.

#7 ·
Chest.- Looks great! Talk about driving it - come on up on Saturday if you can.

I put a bra on mine (after the first rock ding) and will install splash guards.

Thinking about CAI & exhaust, but have not ordered as yet.

#8 ·
Thinking about riding up to Dallas with Lagonia (who I haven't met yet). I'm trying to clear my schedule. Another consideration... IH-35 can be hell on cars!

We'll see.

#10 ·
Kid-Colt said:
Do you hear any whooshing/vacuum sound, like an air leak coming from the hood now?... on my acura after installing a cai, the sound of the air being sucked in was embarrassing at red lights!

Kid-Colt, I have the GM System also. At idle your engine sounds stock, but hit the throttle and you hear a NICE Growl!!:yesnod:

Here's a vid I shot recently: (56K Warning!! 16MB File)

GM Intake

It's a good audio representation!

#11 ·
carlintexas said:
Chest.- Looks great! Talk about driving it - come on up on Saturday if you can.

I put a bra on mine (after the first rock ding) and will install splash guards.

Thinking about CAI & exhaust, but have not ordered as yet.
Put the clear bra on. Today's paints (from 1998 on) have low VOC and chip very easily. It cuts across all manufacturers. My 1991 Toyota and 1990 Honda had much more durable paint than my 2000 Lexus.

You'll protect your investment and resale value.

#13 ·
Here is the GM accessories price and info:

GM PART # 17800764
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1 CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $420.00
OUR PRICE: $352.80
DESCRIPTION: AIR BOX

#14 ·
KappaSphere is only $300 and is much more cleaner smooth look.:yesnod:

#16 ·
SolsticeWolf said:
Kid-Colt, I have the GM System also. At idle your engine sounds stock, but hit the throttle and you hear a NICE Growl!!:yesnod:

GM Intake

Can you say the same for the kappasphere version?

#18 ·
Archerly said:
Maybe I'm just the dumb one here, but what is a CAI system?
There is never a dumb question! It is a cold air induction.:yesnod:

#21 ·
SolsticeWolf said:

GM Intake

ChestRockwell said:
Colt,

My Sol doesn't "suck."

Thanks for the reassurance guys..i love the sound and i will be getting one...once my car arrives! ;)

#22 ·
Kid-Colt, I have the GM System also. At idle your engine sounds stock, but hit the throttle and you hear a NICE Growl!!

GM Intake

That does sound pretty good! I'm also assuming thats a stock exhaust, good vid. Too bad that road isn't a little smoother, looks like a nice place where you could let it hang out!:thumbs:

#23 ·
02eco said:
That does sound pretty good! I'm also assuming thats a stock exhaust, good vid. Too bad that road isn't a little smoother, looks like a nice place where you could let it hang out!:thumbs:
Actually I also have the GM CatBack(installed on arrival). The road is a path thru Talladega National Forest to the base of Mt. Cheaha, here in Eastern Alabama. Very fun road.:thumbs:

#25 ·
You can hear the KappaSphere at their Web site.

#26 ·
LatinVenom said:
You can hear the KappaSphere at their Web site.
My Solstice will not be arriving until April, but I called my dealer today about the CAI. I think that I am going to order it and have it installed before I pick up the car. The one pic i saw looked great. Anyone have any more pictures? I have also been taking to B&B Exhaust and RK Sport about the duel exhaust. The single pipe has to go, but I am in Canada and wonder what it will actually cost me to order it and have it delivered. Anyone in Canada have one and do you like it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.