Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Shock replacement options?

11K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  AeroDave2 
#1 ·
Hi all, just wonder what the options are now for replacing the stock shocks on my '06. Two of the original ones are now leaking. I have found that I can order from GM the original base type, or the GXP "sport suspension" type. I wonder, are these still made by Bilstein, or somebody else? Are there other preferred brands available somewhere, or should I just go with whatever GM is selling?

I don't want to go with coil overs, or any adjustable shocks. The stock ones have served me just fine for 10 and a 1/2 years. I don't race, it's just a daily driver. What, if any difference is there between the base shocks and the GXP/performance shocks in terms of ride quality? I may go GXP if it's an improvement. Also, is there a recommended way to get the ball joints apart with a pickle fork that doesn't tear the rubber boot?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

#2 ·
I don't remember seeing this type of question asked frequently. But since you're happy w/the OEMs, I'd probably stick w/those and check out the usual suspects for prices. Only thing I could find on Craigslist is this ad for parting out a base 2008: https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/5981911919.html

As far as what are the difference between the base and GXP shocks, I'll let someone else offer their opinion on that.

#3 ·
Do not try to use a pickle fork. The major auto parts stores ( I used Advanced Auto Parts) will gladly rent you a tie rod separator kit for free. You pay for the kit and get a full refund when you return it. Search YouTube for video instructions on separating tie rod ends. Disregard the "trick" ways to do the job, they did not work for me on my 07 GXP. The tool works well and is easy to use. I used stock shocks purchased on the internet: FE3s on the rear and FE2s on the front. About $400 for all four. I used the softer FE2s on the front to hopefully soften the impact of the numerous recessed man hole covers in my area. A little help, but not much. Read and follow the maintenance manual. Good luck.

#4 ·
I already have the struts out now. I did check out some rental tools and tools for sale, but not much was of use. Nothing fit. The only tool that really fits I guess is the one recommended by GM and I couldn't find anywhere to rent that and to buy it is $200 and up. I did not use my pickle forks.

I didn't really follow the manual because they have you taking more of the car apart than you really need to. In the rear I had to separate the stabilizer link ball joint and was easily able to do that like others here by hitting it with a hammer. It didn't take much. In the front I had to take the upper knuckle ball joint off and it was easy using a small Pitman Arm puller I had. It's the only ball joint on the car it does fit. Came apart easy.

On your stock shocks you bought, do you know who made them? Do they say? I don't think Bilstein supplies them for GM anymore.

#6 ·
Interesting resource. Good to know about and thanks for sharing. It looks like they sell the complete strut assembly complete with spring. They don't seem to have an rear struts though, only front.

I've often wondered if anybody has started a Kappa specific wrecking yard yet or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.