Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Positive and negative color wires for door speakers???

22K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  SCsolSTINGER 
#1 ·
I'm going to replace my door speakers and tweeters for a pair of 6.5" MQ quarts components. I will run these off the stock radio (I'm looking for quality more than anything) and I can't find in the forum for the wiring color codes for the positive and negative for the door speakers and the tweeters for the base audio (non-monsoon).

Could anyone help me out with this?

thanks!

#4 ·
You could always use my foolproof method, trial and error. There's only 2 possible ways :D Good luck!

#5 ·
Since speakers run on AC, you won't damage the speakers or the stereo if you wire them backwards. They'll just be wired "out of phase" and it might not sound right (sound will seem diffuse instead of focused).

But here's a way to find out: Cut the wires to the speaker and strip some of the shield off the ends (of the wire halves that still lead to the speaker). Get a 9V battery and touch those wire ends to the battery terminals. Watch the speaker cone. It will either push out or suck in. If it pushes out, you have the positive lead contacting the positive battery terminal and negative to negative.

I've never seen this damage a speaker, but just in case, use the factory speakers that you're replacing anyway for the testing.

#12 ·
I have also seen a AA used for this. Speaker pops when connected correctly + to + and - to -.

#6 ·
Yeah exactly, trial and error wont damage the speaker.

#7 · (Edited)
Disclaimer: This is how most cars are wired from the factory, not nesc. the way the Solstice is wired.

Each pair of wires should be the same color for each door, the only difference being that one of the wires will have a black line (or writing on it). Pick either one, call it negative and wire all the speakers in the same manor.

Example: If you are going to call the one with the line on it "Negative", then wire all the negative terminals to the wires with the black line on it.

All of the door speakers will be in phase with each other and there is a 50/50 chance that the Subwoofer will be in phase also. But it doesn't really matter. Read below.

A Note about "Being in Phase": Being in of phase is only important in an enclosed environment (of which our Solstice Convertables will never be considered). Also, its more important when it comes to speakers sharing the same enclosure such as 2 subwoofers mounted in a single box. Here's why...

A speaker cone has 3 positions, Nutral, In, and Out. For this discussion, we'll say a negative pulse moves it In and positive pulse moves it out.

If you have 2 subwoofers mounted in the same enclosure, and give them both a positive charge (think hard bass-drum hit), they both move outward causing and increase in cabin pressure which sounds like a dull thud to your ears.

Now, wire one of the subs backwards and you get an opposite, inward movement on it. At the same time, you get an equal outward movement on the other sub. Since there is no rise in cabin pressure, you don't hear anything (o.k. maybe a little since we're not talking about a perfect world here.) This is considered being Out of Phase.

The effect is similar, although slightly reduced, in an enclosed cabin (solid-roofed car) even you have seperate enclosures for the subs. The effect is even less in a convertable, but it would still be noticible.

All that being said, it is less and less noticible the farther the speakers are apart and the smaller the speakers are (think less displacement of air). It's even less noticible (if even at all) with different sized speakers such as a mid-ranged woofer being out of phase with a low-range subwoofer. Trust me, I have a stereo in my Explorer that you can change the polarity of the sub with the push of a button. It makes no audible difference.

The only time that you'd really want to mind your phase between Highs, Mids, and Lows is in an enclosed competition stereo vehicle where they have delicate instruments there to measure pressure, not quality of sound.

#8 ·
COMPLETE! Replaced the 6.5"s up front with MB quarts and the tweeters. MAN what a difference and its running off the stock headunit. the quality is soooo much better.

yes I got out my volt meter. Cut some of the insulation of the speaker wiring. Put the volt meter and checked out which orientation gave me a positive reading and not a negative. Everything worked out great... now time to replace the 4" and add a sub!!!

#9 ·
yes I got out my volt meter. Cut some of the insulation of the speaker wiring. Put the volt meter and checked out which orientation gave me a positive reading and not a negative.
:huh:

Cool man. Congrats on the install. It's nice to know that MB Quart still makes good speakers.

#10 · (Edited)
Sorry for the delay, but here is the answer for reference. According to the service manual:

BASE Radio:

Left Front
Gray (Negative)
Tan (Positive)

Right Front
Dark Green (Negative)
Light Green (Positive)

Left rear
Yellow (Negative)
Brown (Positive)

Right Rear
Light Blue (Negative)
Dark Blue (Positive)

Search:: Wire Color Speaker Hookup Replace Polarity

#13 ·
i guess your deciding to use the stock head unit as well then?? and even still... i just finished installing my own one of a kind stereo system and running wires in this car was so simple. everything sounds great but if you have an questions what so ever let me know. i've installed about 5 custom car stereos now

Cheers Bro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.