WERKS Built Solstice Issues Need some help - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

WERKS Built Solstice Issues Need some help

Hello,

I'm hoping I can get some help here. I'm the owner of the Solstice that you guys built back in 06 to build your turbo kits for these cars. I know its been in a couple different hands however I'm hoping I can get a couple issues fixed on how she runs.

Runs good tell I get into boost and at about 4,000 RPM's it will studder and cut out really bad. I have checked all my clamps on the turbo, intercooler etc and everything is tight. My AFR goes crazy rich when this happens and I can only hit 5-7 psi.

As far as I know, the tuning has been messed with however I'm not sure what all was changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian85 View Post
Hello,

I'm hoping I can get some help here. I'm the owner of the Solstice that you guys built back in 06 to build your turbo kits for these cars. I know its been in a couple different hands however I'm hoping I can get a couple issues fixed on how she runs.

Runs good tell I get into boost and at about 4,000 RPM's it will studder and cut out really bad. I have checked all my clamps on the turbo, intercooler etc and everything is tight. My AFR goes crazy rich when this happens and I can only hit 5-7 psi.

As far as I know, the tuning has been messed with however I'm not sure what all was changed.
My 06 Werks Solstice story starts off just like yours almost. I bought it used from a novice car enthusiast (he was in over his head with this car), so the history is unknown.

Under WOT near 3,500 it would mis-fire like crazy, studdering and no power. A WBO2 I added showed AFR drop to near 9:1

When I opened the PE Enrich table RPM vs. AFR command, it looked like this mountain.

The recalibrated the VE table and MAF airflows and flat-lined the PE Enrich to look like this.

317whp/329wtrq 2006 Solstice #1458 AR5 LE5 Werks Turbo Kit Meth 16.5 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose, Kappadapt flywheel bolts, Kappadapt trans mount
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Did you ever get yours running right? What are you using to data log?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Did you ever get yours running right? What are you using to data log?
Heck yeah, runs pretty good. HP Tuners. There was an existing tune with unlocked torque management, it really just needed airflows calibrated after adjusting the PE table to one EQ ratio command across the table. VE calibration on the E67 was done using HPT V2 and some magicbox program (Bluecat?) to convert all the tables into the familiar 3D maps.

I have yet to understand HPT Virtual VE as there is no information on how to use it as of last year.

317whp/329wtrq 2006 Solstice #1458 AR5 LE5 Werks Turbo Kit Meth 16.5 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose, Kappadapt flywheel bolts, Kappadapt trans mount
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 01:26 PM

Garage
You guys should contact Lyndon Wester at Westers tuning in Canada. He works with HP tuners and has his own tunes as well. He's capable of anything you can throw at him. I gave him my ECM for a week and he unlocked the LS2 Edit programme and retuned my LS3 Sols, and it runs far better.

Check out Western Canada Kappa Club on Facebook !

My Garage http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/g...ehicle_id=1132
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 08:10 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to werks
Quote:
Hello,

Is this the car that has the ebay turbo on it now? Need to get that replaced with a good turbo firstly but I can certainly help try and diagnose what is going on. I need to see some data using hptuners, do you have an HPtuners interface that you can datalog the car with?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Yes it is. I need to replace the turbo. I have a obd2 computer cable but not one from hptuners.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

2006 Solstice - WERKS Turbo Kit -
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Yes it is. I need to replace the turbo. I have a obd2 computer cable but not one from hptuners.

Ok, you will want to pick up an HPtuners interface - Performance Autowerks or see if you can have someone local to you datalog it with HPTuners and then we can try and get a better idea of what is going on.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

I run a auto repair shop and I have a snap on modis ultra that I can data log with. I understand it won't log wideband but I do have the gauge. Spending $500 is kinda steep for me.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I run a auto repair shop and I have a snap on modis ultra that I can data log with. I understand it won't log wideband but I do have the gauge. Spending $500 is kinda steep for me.

You can try and send me some data to look at using that tool. Where are you located?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Idaho. By coeur d alene

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Well I just blew a head gasket. I had a boost spike to 30 psi and before I could back out white smoke. So I'm going to be needing some new parts lol

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 05:29 AM

You can't do any boosting without the proper tune. DO NOT EVER push your car if you have replaced the turbo and not changed your tune. Guess you found out the hard way....sorry.
Steelmesh likes this.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 07:26 AM

Note To Self: 2.4 head gasket blows at 30 psi

Sucks Brian had to be the one to find this out
Dj_Gorash likes this.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:00 AM

Sorry to hear man, that car should have only been running at 13-14psi max. If you need anything just let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: