200,000 miles! - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

200,000 miles!

Hope everyone is doing well...its been a long time since I posted...had job changes, life changes, etc.

But, I'm back, to report, that the GXP has 201,365 miles on the clock now! Had 8 miles when I picked her up 10 years ago (almost to the day).

Time flies!
sirwm, njtex, HotScott and 8 others like this.

2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2007 Jeep Commander
1981 AMC Jeep Wagoneer
1973 AMC Javelin AMX

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Plato
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 01:53 PM

That's awesome. Congrats. Hoping You get many many more happy miles
WWI Flying Ace likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 03:51 PM

Garage
Very cool!

Chris
"Sunny" - '08 Brazen Orange 2.4 Auto... 7660 feet up in the mountains

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 04:49 PM

very nice !

do you have any stories to share regarding parts
and services that had to replaced/performed during this time ?

wr

Mean 2008 GXP
Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !

Deep 2009 NA Coupe
Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:33 AM

Congratulations! A testament that these cars can be very reliable (I think - unless you have had a lot of issues? lol)

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:53 AM

WOW - I bought my 2006 - 2 years ago from the original owner and it had only 22,000 miles. I now have 26,000 on it. I put it away for the winter and cover it and withdraw it from insurance until I put it back on the road in the spring
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 10:32 AM

Garage
Just got a 2006 NA, with just 66,000 km, or 40,000 miles on her in 11 years.
Thanks for letting us know that we can go another 160,000 miles = 44 more years of driving fun!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 02:02 PM

It's wonderful that so many of our kappas are surviving with such high miles. This proves if you do proper maintenance you can achieve great miles. It would be interesting to hear what you've had to replace during this time. Especially since some believe the gxp is not as reliable as the 2.4. Many more miles of smiles. It will take me twenty years or more to catch up to your miles. Congratulations!!!

07 Aggressive NA, 11-06 SOLD 9-17-08
09 WickedGXP9-25-08 Auto, Red calps,shorty antenna,windscreen,dibit & bkup light covers, leather armrests/console & door pockets,de-badged, pulsing 3rd light,GMPP CAI&tune, DDM susp set,Clear bra,garage opener in header, JPM lumbar,SOLO Mach Shty cat bk
09 Aggressive GXP Coupe 4-16-14, #577, Auto,soft top,Red calps,GM tune,GM acc whls,Conti Xtreme contact tires,pulsing 3rd light,red eng cover, DDM susp set,SOLO center Exh, Norm Valance
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Just looked in the files...

Here is a list of the "big fixes", beyond the normal brakes, tires, oil changes, etc.

Pinion seal recall (warranty).
Direct injectors and fuel rails replaced (warranty) (Intermittent power loss till fixed).
ECM (warranty) (Cruise control would not stay on and brake lights kept going on and off till fixed).
ďNo heat / overheatĒ issue (air bubble in coolant). (Would spike engine temp to about 250 degrees but heater blew cold, but intermittently, until the fix).
Carbonated valves (horrible, but intermittent, misfires and power loss till fixed with AC Delco top engine cleaner . TSB document ID 2863222. Common issue on direct injection engines).
Turbo waste-gate actuator solenoid (turbo would only spool to about half normal PSI till fix code P0243).
Water pump (very difficult repair on these cars).
Ignition switch replacement (recall/warranty).
Blower motor resistor and HVAC harness (common issue on these cars).

I am most proud of the "no heat/overheat" fix, as I was one of the vocal people here on this forum, that got GM to look at the issue seriously and find the fix.
For the carbonated valves, that took several trips to the mechanic before a great speed shop properly diagnosed it and fixed it. Ensure you use Top Tier gas all the time, and be sure you use fuel injector cleaner every couple thousand miles. I've done that and had no repeat of that issue.

Hope this helps!
sirwm likes this.

2007 Jeep Commander
1981 AMC Jeep Wagoneer
1973 AMC Javelin AMX

-Plato
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:23 PM

My 2007 GXP just turned 175,000. Iím the original owner and have done most of the work myself. Hereís the list of whatís gone wrong with the car and the approximate mileage when it happened:

Almost new Ė Pinion seal leaked long before the recall came out.

62,000 - Radiator fan died. It happened again at 122,000. Itís not a hard fix, but expensive just to replace a fan motor.

68,000 Ė Blower motor resistor

70,000 Ė Left wheel hub bolts came loose. The car sure gets squirrely when the front wheels start going in different directions. I nursed it home not knowing what was wrong with it. By the time I got it home, one bolt was gone and the other two were loose. If you havenít thread-locked and torqued these bolts yet, I highly recommend doing so. Iím assuming this is only with earlier cars since the replacements bolts I got from the dealer were coated in thread-lock. My originals were not.

72,000 Ė Passenger door handle broke.

78,000 Ė Two of the 3 HVAC lights burned out. The bulbs available on Ebay are a great and cheap fix.

126,000 Ė Broken clutch pedal. I pushed in the pedal and it went bang, hit the floor and didnít come back up. Rev-matched the car home and took it to the dealer the next day. They diagnosed the problem as a bad slave cylinder so I had them replace that with the clutch and flywheel. After almost a month, and two slave cylinders, they finally realized the fix was to replace the broken clutch lever assembly under the dash. I donít know how long the original clutch would have lasted.

Iím starting to get a cold start misfire that Iím guessing is due to carbon on the intake valves. Iíll be digging in to that soon. Iíve gotten a misfire fault code a few times and itís always in the morning within 20 seconds of starting the car.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:32 AM

BTW - You couldn't possibly be a WW-I Flying Ace. Do you mean WW-2 ?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Nope...I'm not really a WWI Flying Ace. It's just my handle on the forum. Snoopy and the Red Baron was an early love of mine. Hence the name.

2007 Jeep Commander
1981 AMC Jeep Wagoneer
1973 AMC Javelin AMX

-Plato
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:32 AM

Wow, 200K is awesome.

My 2007 GXP just turned 175,000 and itís been very reliable. At this point I canít really complain if anything does go wrong. Iím the original owner and have done most of the work myself.
Hereís the list of whatís gone wrong with the car and the approximate mileage when it happened:

Almost new Ė Pinion seal leaked long before the recall came out.

62,000 - Radiator fan died. It happened again at 122,000. Itís not a hard fix, but expensive just to replace a fan motor.

68,000 Ė Blower motor resistor

70,000 Ė Left wheel hub bolts came loose. The car sure gets squirrely when the front wheels start going in different directions. I nursed it home not knowing what was wrong with it. By the time I got it home, one bolt was gone and the other two were loose. If you havenít thread-locked and torqued these bolts yet, I highly recommend doing so. Iím assuming this is only with earlier cars since the replacements bolts I got from the dealer were coated in thread-lock. My originals were not.

72,000 Ė Passenger door handle broke.

78,000 Ė Two of the 3 HVAC lights burned out. The bulbs available on Ebay are a great and cheap fix.

126,000 Ė Broken clutch pedal. I pushed in the pedal and it went bang, hit the floor and didnít come back up. Rev-matched the car home and took it to the dealer the next day. They diagnosed the problem as a bad slave cylinder so I had them replace that with the clutch and flywheel. After almost a month, and two slave cylinders, they finally realized the fix was to replace the broken clutch lever assembly under the dash. I donít know how long the original clutch would have lasted.

Iím starting to get a cold start misfire that Iím guessing is due to carbon on the intake valves. Iíll be digging in to that soon. Iíve gotten a misfire fault code a few times and itís always in the morning within 20 seconds of starting the car.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 06:36 AM

Just posted this on another thread, but it looks like it may be time to start thinking about having some official Kappa high mileage badges designed and offered for sale.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 07:07 AM

CT,

I really want some of the 100K art as stickers.

My daily driver 1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited wagon has almost 300K and is a blessed GM real car. Came stock with a 260 HP LT1. Sound familiar? I parked the 1989 Ram Charger tow vehicle years ago for front suspension work (which I never completed) with almost 200K. I won't get rid of her until she officially hits 200K. At my age I may not see the GXP hit even 100K, but you never know. I saved the art...let's do it!

Richard Snipes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode