2007 GXP CEL/limp mode/ engine cutting out - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

2007 GXP CEL/limp mode/ engine cutting out

Last weekend I had been driving for about 10 minutes when the engine started cutting out -slowing down and then regaining revs on an intermittent basis; no CEL. I pulled over, turned off engine, restarted and the car ran fine. I put about 100 miles on it to check it out with no issues. The car hadn't been driven for a couple of weeks so I thought that might have caused the glitch.

Yesterday I had been driving for about 100 miles; stopped the car to go into a store and when I came out and restarted CEL came on. Car seemed to run ok for a while, then went into intermittent cutting out and limp/no boost mode. I stopped and restarted a couple of times with no change. Finally car regained boost and ran ok for the 25 miles home, but CEL stayed on.

I don't have a code reader so I don't know the code(s) thrown. Took it into the dealer today. I'm concerned that the car is a year out of warranty; however I covered the previous history ofproblems while under warranty with the advisor:

CEL/limp mode - diagnosed as faulty connectors on GMPP sensors - supposedly resolved by soldering connections.

CEL/limp mode - (twice) diagnosed as loose connections on GMPP CAI tubes
installed by dealer

Had a similar occurence early this year; dealer kept the car several days but could not get the car to repeat the problem.

Just thought I'd share this and see if anyone had any thoughts, given that I don't know the specific codes involved this time. Hoping that the dealer will recognize the history under warranty and treat this accordingly.
DDM backbone, probeam
zok rear sway bar
Solo shorty mach catback
Texas Maddogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Please share the code(s) when the dealer reads them. The GMMP also had some issues with the rubber O-Rings on the map sensors along with the non-soldering issue/
Solo HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Probeam, Backbone and Eibach Pro
Dunlop Dirreza *Spec

1987 Buick Grand National
1978 Trans Am

Trifecta authorized Dealer
www.amesperformancetuning.com
BrentnKC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Founding Member

Check your hose clamps to make sure there is no leaks.
Double check the solder connection to make sure it is still good.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Dealer reported codes P0101 & P0106; said they both pointed to MAF sensor fault, and replaced MAF sensor. Drove ok on way home; we'll see- he gave me a case# since he had consulted with GM tech support. Seems like I've had a lot of problems since they installed the GM CAI.
DDM backbone, probeam
zok rear sway bar
Solo shorty mach catback
Old 11-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
If I had it to do over, I would not have installed the CAI. It provides no performance improvement, even with the GMPP tune's higher learn down thresholds, adds a lot of unattractive sound and increases the potential for MAF problems.

Did they give you the old MAF? It would be useful to inspect it, clean it and then test to see if it was contamination vrs an internal failure.

Hope this fixes your issues.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

I didn't get the old MAF; meant to ask for it and forgot.
DDM backbone, probeam
zok rear sway bar
Solo shorty mach catback
Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

I see you have the GMPP upgrade. Could be that you need to solder the connections. When mine was running bad the dealer changed the MAF and it ran OK for a short while and then started acting up again. Soldering connections corrected my problem. There are threads on this, check them out. Good luck!
09 WickedGXP9-25-08 Auto, Red calps,shorty antenna,windscreen,side grill & bkup light covers, leather armrests/console & door pockets,de-badged, pulsing 3rd light,red eng cover,GMPP CAI&tune, Probeam/Backbone,Clear bra,garage opener in header, JPM lumbar inserts,SOLO Mach Shty cat bk
09 Aggressive GXP Coupe 4-16-14, #577, Auto,soft top,Red calps,GM tune,GM acc whls,Conti Xtreme contact tires,pulsing 3rd light,red eng cover, probeam & backbone
WickedMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

How difficult is it to visually inspect the soldered connections on the sensors? I don't want to go fumbling around and accidentally mess something up.
DDM backbone, probeam
zok rear sway bar
Solo shorty mach catback
Old 11-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you keeping us posted on these issues. Please let us know the outcome of the dealer appointment. I hope you have a good week despite the car issues.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GMCustomerSvc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Maddogg View Post
Dealer reported codes P0101 & P0106; said they both pointed to MAF sensor fault, and replaced MAF sensor. Drove ok on way home; we'll see- he gave me a case# since he had consulted with GM tech support. Seems like I've had a lot of problems since they installed the GM CAI.
If I had a dollar for every time I have seen this diagnosis by a GM service department for this code on our cars, I would be a rich man by now.

Odds are, it WAS NOT a faulty sensor. It may have been, but it really is a low probability that was the real cause of your issues. This is just the automatic diagnosis that the typical GM Service department will give, to get you out of their building, because they do not really understand our cars.

Most likely causes of P0101 on a Kappa with the GMPP tune:

1. Improperly spliced wiring harnesses to the GMPP 3 Bar sensors.
2. Failed Throttle Body clamp on air charge/intake system, or possibly failed clamp at another location of air charge/intake system-just not as likely.
3. Failed Intercooler, if still running the OEM IC. May have a split end tank seam on the passenger side, or may suffer from "ballooning, a.k.a mushrooming" in the middle of the IC.

There are several other potential failure points as well. But they are all within the same level of unlikely occurrence rates as a "failed MAF, MAP, or TMAP". Feel free to knock yourself reading about pretty much every other possible failure point here:
GMPP Tune and P0101 code.
(Disclaimer: Warning: My car was possessed by Satan and ultimately required a Professional Exorcism to cure all of the issues. So please do not be concerned that this is a typical Kappa.)
Old 11-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hi, Matt; thanks for following up. The dealer, Canvender GM in San Antonio, read codes P0101 and P0106 and replaced the MAF sensor. I am concerned that this may or may not be the root problem (see other posts on this thread) as I have had 4 similar occurences before (handled under warranty) with all different diagnoses ( one MAP/TMAP sensor connections - reportedly soldered; two GM CAI clamp issues, and one undiagnosed). I guess all I can do is drive it and see if it happens again.
DDM backbone, probeam
zok rear sway bar
Solo shorty mach catback
Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Founding Member

There should not be any cracking in the solder surface.
If you do not feel comfortable inspecting them then have the dealer or someone else take a look at them.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.