2008 gxp - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

2008 gxp

XM radio and OnStar went out together, however, the radio still works on AM and FM. Been looking at fuses. Can anyone suggest a direction I should go? Thanks.

mdg
Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:36 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Welcome to the forum.

Calling TS!

Did you check the fuses at the BCM under the passenger carpet and under the hood on the right side?

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 48 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Yes. Are their particular fuses that I should take a look at? Already pulled the RDO fuse and it was good.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Moderator - Don't know if my previous reply went out. It made me sign in before it sent. If it did, just delete this one. Thanks.

After reading deep into this forum found someone with the same problem...it was the S-Band fuse #56. Pulled the 10 amp fuse. Replaced with another 10 amp which immediately blew. Made a mistake. Had no more 10s. Thought I would try a 15 and it held. OnStar and XM came back. Then I smelled something getting hot and heard a small crackling sound. Pulled the 15 quickly. I don't really want to trouble-shoot a wiring issue. Even with ramps the car is hard to get under and have enough room to work. XM has offered me an Onyx, but really wanted to keep everything original. Good repair shop near me, but you know how that goes. Hoping my Solstice doesn't combust. Thank you guys for the help.

mdg
Texas
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:22 PM

This one is interesting to me. We just purchased this spring an'08 Solstice with an aftermarket radio w/satellite and backup camera. There is a wiring glitch somewhere - the#56 10AMP is 20AMP. Radio doesn't work (never did) but backup camera does. The turn signals flash fast and looks more like emergency lights than turn signals. Any help appreciated as I'm not a fan at all of electrical gremlins!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:41 PM

The aftermarket electronics may legitimately require more than 10 A, but running the stock wiring at a higher than designed for current is asking for potential problems. Given that it is a non-stock installation you are going to have to get into it to see exactly how things were done before you will have a clue about what is wrong or how to fix it.

Do all of the lights illuminate when the turn signals flash? Fast flashing is a sign of a burned-out bulb, but if all of them are working it is possible that the incandescent bulbs have been replaced with LEDs. LEDs us so little power that the BCM thinks they are not working. If that is the case you can either replace them with incandescent bulbs or add loading resistors.

In what part of the country are you located? There may be someone nearby who can help.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky VIN 00252 Manual Midnight Blue
Sky Redline 2008 Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Groveton View Post
......... Even with ramps the car is hard to get under and have enough room to work. .........
As far as I know there are no wires under the car. There is a bundle that runs down the top of the transmission tunnel, and a one that runs under the passenger door sill and there have been instances of short circuits to ground in that area. I believe, but can't immediately confirm, that the circuit you are having trouble with runs under the door sill.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky VIN 00252 Manual Midnight Blue
Sky Redline 2008 Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:10 AM

HI John - thanks I appreciate the note back and direction. I'm in the metro Detroit area. Next step is to investigate the radio. Great lead on the wiring. All of the lights are working, and yes, all of them flash when the turn signal is turned on. I'll start checking bulbs and will report back. Thanks again.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
As far as I know there are no wires under the car. There is a bundle that runs down the top of the transmission tunnel, and a one that runs under the passenger door sill and there have been instances of short circuits to ground in that area. I believe, but can't immediately confirm, that the circuit you are having trouble with runs under the door sill.
As someone who has spent a lot of time underneath the car I can confirm that there are no wires running underneath it .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode