3 month garage storage - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

3 month garage storage

Hello all, I'm preparing for a short term trip to NC and the Solstice will be in the garage for a period of about 2 1/2 months. I just recently did an oil change but also had new tires installed. Any words of wisdom for me? I can't say I've ever left FL for longer than a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:40 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Put it on a battery tender. Give it a fuel treatment to prevent problems.
tallcraig, Sting Ya and Steelmesh like this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 48 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 07:47 AM

Some things to add to Rob's comment make sure you get a battery tender not a trickle charger a tender has a circuit built into it to prevent the battery from overcharging and ruining your battery Deltron makes a good one and they are around 35 bucks . You should either raise the car on jack stands or inflate the tires to 50 lbs this will prevent flat spotting .Don't know where the car will be stored garage,carport ,outside but get some moth balls and place them underneath the car one packet at each wheel and one under the center this will keep the critters out I also throw in some sheets of Bounce fabric softener in the trunk ,interior ,and underhood this also keeps the critters from using your car as a bed and breakfast .A good clean up a cover and you should be good to go

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:14 AM

Garage
Storage

My Solstice is garaged in AZ for 8 months. Fresh oil, 3/4 full tank, battery tender. I use mint animal repellent packages in my workshop here in OH but did not think of that is AZ. I'll let you know how it goes in January.

SteveBot39
'09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; KN Intake, MagnaFlow catback exhaust, Trifecta tune; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes, stainless lines, DOT 4 fluid; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer AVIC-5200NEX NAV radio. Pretty much stock.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:46 AM

If you're cheap, your local Walmart should have a $30 DieHard 2amp Battery Charger/Maintainer in stock. Not sure if it was just being an early generation design, but that Harbor Freight battery maintainer killed several batteries before realizing it was killing batteries.

317whp/329wtrq 2006 Solstice #1458 AR5 LE5 Werks Turbo Kit Meth 16.5 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose, Kappadapt flywheel bolts, Kappadapt trans mount
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebot39 View Post
My Solstice is garaged in AZ for 8 months. Fresh oil, 3/4 full tank, battery tender. I use mint animal repellent packages in my workshop here in OH but did not think of that is AZ. I'll let you know how it goes in January.
Just curious...why only a 3/4 full tank??? That leaves 1/4 of the tank available for moisture laden air, just what you are trying to avoid. (or as much moisture that there is in Arizona air ) As far as I know, the recommendation has always been to top off the tank and put in STA-BIL (tm) chemical treatment.
Sting Ya likes this.

Last edited by Radio Doc; 05-16-2017 at 10:52 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Doc View Post
Just curious...why only a 3/4 full tank??? That leaves 1/4 of the tank available for moisture laden air (or as much moisture that there is in Arizona air ) As far as I know, the recommendation has been to top off the tank and put in STA-BIL (tm) chemical treatment.
True Doc, But I think some believe in leaving room for expansion as well as leaving room to add some fresh gas in before going too far on the first trip. You can combat any possible moisture with dry gas or similar additive.

But I personally subscribe to the fill the tank camp.

Dodo, the battery tender is best, but you can also disconnect terminals too, you just will clear any stored codes and your sensors will not be ready for inspection should your state have inspections.

2007 GXP Mysterious

Rear Spoiler
Painted calipers
Cup holder console DDM

2008 SHELBY GT500 Black
rear window louvers
side window louvers
power stow lic plate
duo pod pillar gauge
billet dash plaque
billet engine caps

Last edited by Amigo; 05-16-2017 at 10:56 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:28 PM

For what it's worth, my wife's 07 has sat for months at a time during the winter without disconnecting the battery or using a battery tender. We finally replaced her 9 year old battery last fall. The battery had never failed to start the car until a really cold day last fall.

2007 Solstice (hers) 2008 GXP (mine)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons View Post
For what it's worth, my wife's 07 has sat for months at a time during the winter without disconnecting the battery or using a battery tender. We finally replaced her 9 year old battery last fall. The battery had never failed to start the car until a really cold day last fall.
For 35 bucks better to be safe than sorry and it's something that can be used for anything that has a battery .
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting Ya View Post
For 35 bucks better to be safe than sorry and it's something that can be used for anything that has a battery .
If using a battery tender makes you feel better, do it. I am just sharing real world experience.

2007 Solstice (hers) 2008 GXP (mine)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:20 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
I'd just disconnect the battery and make sure your tires and tank are full. It also makes the car slightly more difficult to steal. :/

Or, ship it to Werks or DDM and have them stuff in an LS while you're out. (DDM is in SC, so you could just drop it off on your way to NC!)
Sting Ya likes this.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, GMPP cat-back, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted and drilled rotors, DDM braces, BR Racing coilovers, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, DDM oil catch can, Autometer boost, water and AFR gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-R HID headlights, GReddy Profec @ 13PSI, custom A-pillar gauge pod. Norm's 430 bumper, vented fenders

Currently on engine #4!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:38 PM

Like Essayons, I have let one or the other of mine sit for 3-4 months without preparation and without ill effect.

I normally connect the battery tender just because its easy to do and I think it may be better for the battery, but I'm not convinced that it really matters.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky VIN 00252 Manual Midnight Blue
Sky Redline 2008 Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 10:09 AM

Garage
[QUOTE=Radio Doc;1991065]Just curious...why only a 3/4 full tank??? /QUOTE]

Gasoline comes out of the ground about 20 deg colder than ambient, and temp in my garage will go up another 40 deg by mid summer. I figured I needed room for expansion. It is probably closer to 7/8.

SteveBot39
'09 NA Automatic Cool Silver Coupe; KN Intake, MagnaFlow catback exhaust, Trifecta tune; GXP sway bars, DDM chassis kit; Stoptech brakes, stainless lines, DOT 4 fluid; Michelin PSS tires; Pioneer AVIC-5200NEX NAV radio. Pretty much stock.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:35 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
On another note: Mine sat for 3 months at DFW airport (my boss was not happy about the parking fees on my expense report, but he also dragged me out of the country for 3 months, so he can go to hell) and:

The LH mirror was scratched.
The battery - which I disconnected - was just fine.
Rear RH tire was at about 15psi.

Started up just fine. :shrug:

(But they also flew my wife over to London for a few weeks in the middle of that, so I should probably be nicer.)

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, GMPP cat-back, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted and drilled rotors, DDM braces, BR Racing coilovers, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, DDM oil catch can, Autometer boost, water and AFR gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-R HID headlights, GReddy Profec @ 13PSI, custom A-pillar gauge pod. Norm's 430 bumper, vented fenders

Currently on engine #4!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Hey all, thank you for all the suggestions. Thankfully I have a garage to keep the car in and have done the oil change recently, I'll remember to fill up the tank before I go. I have a family member that can start it and move it around a bit every couple weeks. I think the one thing I was most concerned with was the possibility of flat spots, given that the tires are new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode