Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

ABS Light on - Service ESC, Service Traction

12K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  DaveOC 
#1 ·
So I just got these lights on a couple days back after some spirited driving and it went on the moment I switched lanes. Additionally, it should be known I have DDMWorks Stage 3 installed and auto transmission. I have not yet taken my vehicle to have the ABS codes read but what immediately comes to mind? Anything I should take a look at before taking it in to be looked at? :(

#2 · (Edited)
I'm thinking a wheel speed sensor but you'll have to get the codes read to see which one, if any one, is bad.

#3 ·
I have seen this on a couple of occasions on the Dragon. I shut the car off and restarted it and it cleared both times. Check the level of the fluid in the reservoir. If it get down a bit when you apply high G forces it can read low which will give the same result.

#4 ·
Check the 3 hub bolts at each wheel and make certain they are torqued to 110? IMSMC (someone else chime in if I'm wrong on the torque numbers for those bolts please!!!). Also, did you get low brake fluid too? If so, look on the inside of every rim and make certain you aren't leaking brake fluid. I had this same issue and had a line let loose on the right rear. I had brake fluid all over the inside of the rim.

#5 ·
I'll have to take a look Tuesday night. To be honest, I'm actually still driving the car, and the breaking still feels fine all around. I'm feeling so lazy to do this since I just settled all the issues I was having with my exhaust leaking, I'm contemplating just having the codes read and determining what the root cause is so I can fix it.

#6 ·
I have the same issue...had my mechanic hook it up to a code reader and it says the EBCM (electronic brake control module) is not functioning...of course it recommends replacement...UGH....I am still driving it too because the only threat is that the ABS won't function correctly, not too worried about that. I am going to buy the part from Rock Auto, but my mechanic is not 100% sure he can program it....so, any suggestions out there??

Thanks,

Kristin

#7 ·
kkerry....did you make sure all 3 hub bolts were tight on each wheel? IMSMC there was an ABS/brake issue that had been linked to the hub bolts being loose or missing. It's the cheapest, safest solution first!!! Especially since many cars are now over the 50k mark here....and especially if you are a "spirited" driver. Not saying it will cure your issue, but I think I remember someone here had a missing hub bolt that was causing a brake warning issue.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/how-know-when-hub-bolts-loose-76994/

#8 ·
Before you start throwing parts at the problem have you checked that the brake module is connected correctly? No issues with corrosion or bad connections? The applicable fuses and relays are good and well connected? I have not seen very many of these modules reported as failing so I would make sure everything else is good before spending a lot of money on replacing it.

#9 ·
Alright everyone here's an update.. so both my front pads were very low which might explain the grinding noise and quite possibly the ABS light (A lot of recent, very spirited driving.) I would have had an update sooner but accidentally snapped a wheel stud which I just recently fixed. What I'd like to know is this - I understand for the hub bolts, torque specification calls for 85 ft-lbs but my torque wrench only goes to 85 ft-lbs. Is it safe to torque at 80 ft-lbs with blue loctite and call it a night? My other torque wrench that goes 85+ is too large to fit in the space.. Blah.

#18 ·
Is the torque 85 ft-lbs of 110 as stated in an earlier post?

#11 ·
So I figured while I needed to replace the front pads, I may as well do the brake lines. So I installed the stainless steel brake lines and changed the front pads. Everything went well with the install. However, I am still hearing a strange sound, mostly on turns. My hub bolts all look okay on both sides, and the connections to the wheel sensors seem OK also. A friend of mine rode with me and heard the sound and believes it may be the exhaust rubbing up against the frame and making noise? Not sure but all this is strange and I still have my Service ESC, Service Traction, and ABS lights on. I have serious trust issues with mechanics so I am doing my best to resolve this on my own. (Mechanics in S. Fla just seem so shady to me lol)

#12 ·
It is possible that the exhaust pipe is hitting the bottom of the car. It generally sounds like a metallic rattle coming from below the cockpit. There is a mechanical joint there which can go out of alignment.

#13 ·
My 2006 that ive had 2 years is with so few options that it dont have ABS,,,,,, am i correct that you could buy a 2006 solstice w/o abs ? it also doesnt have the DIC that you cant even have a trip odometer, im pretty sure my 2006 is very stripped,, ABS is good untill u have to pay for repairs,,,,,,, i feel for the fella w his ABS lights coming on,,, JK

#15 ·
Hey General....

First, are you sure your battery is good? Everything I have found on the codes you provided all have to do with voltage issues at the ECM and BCM and also the voltages in between them. Here is a quick check for the U3000.....https://www.obd-codes.com/u3000

Reactions: SCGXP
#17 ·
Hi everyone,I'm new here,and this is my first post,I subscribe here because I have the same issue in my pontiac gxp 2017 manual transmission (abs,traction light on and service esc) but with codes c0110 (pump motor circuit) and c0161 ( antilock braking system brake switch circuit), the lights come on ann off ocassionally ,i read so many comments but it's like a mystery all of this because my solstice I buy it a year ago and in that day only have 3,900 miles,now have 6000 (practically new) and the first day that I drive home, abs and traction lights came out,I start with take battery off,next am gonna do is take the ebcm out and clean it according to posts but the piece it's like new,I don't know if gonna work........ the point is that i'm looking for a fast answer that help me resolve the problem before check the entire car.please help,thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.