Anyone use ATF in their manual transmission? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Anyone use ATF in their manual transmission?

I'm getting a grind in 3rd gear when shifting quick. I was wondering if anyone has used ATF in a manual. I know that it comes with a heavier gear oil designed for use in a truck. I was hoping a lighter fluid might cure the grind.
jonnyGXP is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2008, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
pep

Send a message via AIM to pep
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGXP View Post
I'm getting a grind in 3rd gear when shifting quick. I was wondering if anyone has used ATF in a manual. I know that it comes with a heavier gear oil designed for use in a truck. I was hoping a lighter fluid might cure the grind.
No do not use the ATF in a manual gearbox, ATF was designed for automatics won't be sufficient lubrication for a manual. You can try to find a lighter gear oil or additive like lucas oils or royal purple and replace the factory gear oil.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Jonny GXP:

Would not recommend using ATF. The gear oil in the tranny is not truck tranny fluid. You may want to consider synthetic, Royal Purple, Redline, Lucas, etc. I have Redline in mine and it shifts smother. However, if you are getting a grind going into third gear, a change of fluid to synthetic may not do the trick.

Frank I

Quote:
Old 12-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've switched to Mobil 1 75w-90 after 2k miles. 2-3 has improved, but it still a little clunky from 1-2. What do you expect from a Japanese made transmission?

Mileage as of Feb 1 89000 miles
silversolstice is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pep View Post
No do not use the ATF in a manual gearbox, ATF was designed for automatics won't be sufficient lubrication for a manual. You can try to find a lighter gear oil or additive like lucas oils or royal purple and replace the factory gear oil.
There are plenty of manual transmissions that call for ATF and I have used it many times in previous cars.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post
Jonny GXP:

Would not recommend using ATF. The gear oil in the tranny is not truck tranny fluid. You may want to consider synthetic, Royal Purple, Redline, Lucas, etc. I have Redline in mine and it shifts smother. However, if you are getting a grind going into third gear, a change of fluid to synthetic may not do the trick.

Frank I
The gear oil for our transmission is 75w- 90, the same that is recommended for the Colorado
Old 12-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
jonnyGXP : There are plenty of manual transmissions that call for ATF and I have used it many times in previous cars.
Quote:
jonnyGXP : The gear oil for our transmission is 75w- 90, the same that is recommended for the Colorado
A gearbox dsigned for use with ATF will be damaged by using gear oil in it. A gearbox designed for gear oil will be damaged by using ATF in it. Putting in the wrong type of lube will probably cause irreparable damage and will certainly void any future warranty claims you may have.

If 2-3 is the only gear change you are having trouble with, the most likely culprit is your shifting technique. The 2-3 shift is a long throw, and if you hurry it you will cause a grind.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
A gearbox dsigned for use with ATF will be damaged by using gear oil in it. A gearbox designed for gear oil will be damaged by using ATF in it. Putting in the wrong type of lube will probably cause irreparable damage and will certainly void any future warranty claims you may have.

If 2-3 is the only gear change you are having trouble with, the most likely culprit is your shifting technique. The 2-3 shift is a long throw, and if you hurry it you will cause a grind.
Gear oil and ATF oil are different. I know some folks other folks who put ATF in a gearbox calling for gear oil in some older cars, and found that the different chemcials in the ATF ate out the seals in the gearbox.

If you want a lighter fluid, go to the lightest recommended gear oil for the gearbox, in synthetic. Don't put in something it wasn't designed for, as it might cost you big money in the long run.

Retired Solstice Forum Super Moderator (Apr 2005-July 2009)
Fformula88 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
bla bla bla...
The 2-3 shift is a long throw, and if you hurry it you will cause a grind.
I have shifted from 2 to 3 so fast it was in gear 50 feet behind me. No grind at all

2008 Malibu LTZ 3.6 6 speed
2008 Cadillac SRX AWD N*
2002 GMC Denali Quadrasteer
2006 Audi A6 Quattro
2012 Suzuki Burgman Executive
1965 Bolens tractor. w/new 13hp crate motor
2000 pair of roller blades
2008 Limer backpacking shoes
typhoon is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 04:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

errr...if you have a grinding noise in a manual gearbox and you're using he correct lube to begin with, there is no oil that's going to fix it. Whether you have the correct manual gear lube, ATF, motor oil, mineral oil or cooking oil in that manual gear box, it cannot fix the mechanical cause of the grind. Nothing in a bottle will cure the problem. It needs to be mechanically corrected

Think about it- if there's something so abnormal that you wonder about using the wrong grade lubrication in a mechanical system, shouldn't that be a warning sign that there's something actually physically wrong that needs repair?
ChrisBlair is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

I tried the royal purpel lube in my civic, after having mobil1 75-90 in it, I then experienced a slight grind going in to 3rd, I changed back to mobil1 problem corrected.

I think the RP is too thin for daily driver use, and on a side note the T 56 in my Z does have ATF in it from GM.
bee guz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
typhoon : I have shifted from 2 to 3 so fast it was in gear 50 feet behind me. No grind at all
Shifting fast is not the same as hurrying a shift.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
pep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee guz View Post
I tried the royal purpel lube in my civic, after having mobil1 75-90 in it, I then experienced a slight grind going in to 3rd, I changed back to mobil1 problem corrected.

I think the RP is too thin for daily driver use, and on a side note the T 56 in my Z does have ATF in it from GM.
If the car came with ATF in the tranny than that's what should be used, If the solstice gearbox came with gear oil than that's what should be used, experimenting could cost you big!!!!You can play with different grades of gear oil,but using something totally not good for it, will destroy it, it's your call, my 2 cents...
Old 12-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
pep

Quote:
There are plenty of manual transmissions that call for ATF and I have used it many times in previous cars.
True..... But not this one, and trust me I've seen manual gearboxes that had the wrong oil in it, they looked like a pile of metal sweeped into a shoebox....
Old 12-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Gm's t-5 uses atf the new venture uses gm's synchromesh fluids
1stragtop is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.