Anyone use ATF in their manual transmission? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 49
Anyone use ATF in their manual transmission?

I'm getting a grind in 3rd gear when shifting quick. I was wondering if anyone has used ATF in a manual. I know that it comes with a heavier gear oil designed for use in a truck. I was hoping a lighter fluid might cure the grind.
jonnyGXP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 PM
pep
Member
 
pep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Westbury, NY
Posts: 1,811
Send a message via AIM to pep
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGXP View Post
I'm getting a grind in 3rd gear when shifting quick. I was wondering if anyone has used ATF in a manual. I know that it comes with a heavier gear oil designed for use in a truck. I was hoping a lighter fluid might cure the grind.
No do not use the ATF in a manual gearbox, ATF was designed for automatics won't be sufficient lubrication for a manual. You can try to find a lighter gear oil or additive like lucas oils or royal purple and replace the factory gear oil.

2008 MEAN GXP..... Mods... 3" Magnaflow dual exhaust,5 matching yellow engine caps,fuse cover stainless.
pep is offline  
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Member
 
Frank I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Georgia Mountains
Posts: 377
Jonny GXP:

Would not recommend using ATF. The gear oil in the tranny is not truck tranny fluid. You may want to consider synthetic, Royal Purple, Redline, Lucas, etc. I have Redline in mine and it shifts smother. However, if you are getting a grind going into third gear, a change of fluid to synthetic may not do the trick.

Frank I




Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGXP View Post
I'm getting a grind in 3rd gear when shifting quick. I was wondering if anyone has used ATF in a manual. I know that it comes with a heavier gear oil designed for use in a truck. I was hoping a lighter fluid might cure the grind.

07 Black GXP, 5 speed
Frank I is offline  
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Member
 
silversolstice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Posts: 915
I've switched to Mobil 1 75w-90 after 2k miles. 2-3 has improved, but it still a little clunky from 1-2. What do you expect from a Japanese made transmission?

2007 "Cool" N/A 5 spd Bought Dec 1, 2007
145 cubic inches of fury... Ya I am bringing cubes back

Mileage as of July 25 100025 miles
silversolstice is offline  
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by pep View Post
No do not use the ATF in a manual gearbox, ATF was designed for automatics won't be sufficient lubrication for a manual. You can try to find a lighter gear oil or additive like lucas oils or royal purple and replace the factory gear oil.
There are plenty of manual transmissions that call for ATF and I have used it many times in previous cars.
jonnyGXP is offline  
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank I View Post
Jonny GXP:

Would not recommend using ATF. The gear oil in the tranny is not truck tranny fluid. You may want to consider synthetic, Royal Purple, Redline, Lucas, etc. I have Redline in mine and it shifts smother. However, if you are getting a grind going into third gear, a change of fluid to synthetic may not do the trick.

Frank I
The gear oil for our transmission is 75w- 90, the same that is recommended for the Colorado
jonnyGXP is offline  
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 11:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,513
Quote:
jonnyGXP : There are plenty of manual transmissions that call for ATF and I have used it many times in previous cars.
Quote:
jonnyGXP : The gear oil for our transmission is 75w- 90, the same that is recommended for the Colorado
A gearbox dsigned for use with ATF will be damaged by using gear oil in it. A gearbox designed for gear oil will be damaged by using ATF in it. Putting in the wrong type of lube will probably cause irreparable damage and will certainly void any future warranty claims you may have.

If 2-3 is the only gear change you are having trouble with, the most likely culprit is your shifting technique. The 2-3 shift is a long throw, and if you hurry it you will cause a grind.

John - Formerly known as JRinKY
Lexington, KY
Sky VIN 00252 Manual Midnight Blue
Sky Redline 2008 Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
JohnWR is offline  
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Mod Emeritus
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
A gearbox dsigned for use with ATF will be damaged by using gear oil in it. A gearbox designed for gear oil will be damaged by using ATF in it. Putting in the wrong type of lube will probably cause irreparable damage and will certainly void any future warranty claims you may have.

If 2-3 is the only gear change you are having trouble with, the most likely culprit is your shifting technique. The 2-3 shift is a long throw, and if you hurry it you will cause a grind.
Gear oil and ATF oil are different. I know some folks other folks who put ATF in a gearbox calling for gear oil in some older cars, and found that the different chemcials in the ATF ate out the seals in the gearbox.

If you want a lighter fluid, go to the lightest recommended gear oil for the gearbox, in synthetic. Don't put in something it wasn't designed for, as it might cost you big money in the long run.

Solstice and Sky Fan

Retired Solstice Forum Super Moderator (Apr 2005-July 2009)
Fformula88 is offline  
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Member
 
typhoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: S.E. WI
Posts: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
bla bla bla...
The 2-3 shift is a long throw, and if you hurry it you will cause a grind.
I have shifted from 2 to 3 so fast it was in gear 50 feet behind me. No grind at all

2008 GXP 5 speed manual Brazen GMPP upgrade

2008 Malibu LTZ 3.6 6 speed
2008 Cadillac SRX AWD N*
2002 GMC Denali Quadrasteer
2010 Cadillac CTS4 3.6DI Wagon-Premium
2003 Honda ST1300
1965 Bolens tractor. w/new 13hp crate motor
2000 pair of roller blades
2008 Limer backpacking shoes
typhoon is offline  
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 1,156
errr...if you have a grinding noise in a manual gearbox and you're using he correct lube to begin with, there is no oil that's going to fix it. Whether you have the correct manual gear lube, ATF, motor oil, mineral oil or cooking oil in that manual gear box, it cannot fix the mechanical cause of the grind. Nothing in a bottle will cure the problem. It needs to be mechanically corrected

Think about it- if there's something so abnormal that you wonder about using the wrong grade lubrication in a mechanical system, shouldn't that be a warning sign that there's something actually physically wrong that needs repair?
ChrisBlair is offline  
post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: N E Pa.
Posts: 145
I tried the royal purpel lube in my civic, after having mobil1 75-90 in it, I then experienced a slight grind going in to 3rd, I changed back to mobil1 problem corrected.

I think the RP is too thin for daily driver use, and on a side note the T 56 in my Z does have ATF in it from GM.
bee guz is offline  
post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,513
Quote:
typhoon : I have shifted from 2 to 3 so fast it was in gear 50 feet behind me. No grind at all
Shifting fast is not the same as hurrying a shift.

John - Formerly known as JRinKY
Lexington, KY
Sky VIN 00252 Manual Midnight Blue
Sky Redline 2008 Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
JohnWR is offline  
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 05:25 PM
pep
Member
 
pep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Westbury, NY
Posts: 1,811
Send a message via AIM to pep
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee guz View Post
I tried the royal purpel lube in my civic, after having mobil1 75-90 in it, I then experienced a slight grind going in to 3rd, I changed back to mobil1 problem corrected.

I think the RP is too thin for daily driver use, and on a side note the T 56 in my Z does have ATF in it from GM.
If the car came with ATF in the tranny than that's what should be used, If the solstice gearbox came with gear oil than that's what should be used, experimenting could cost you big!!!!You can play with different grades of gear oil,but using something totally not good for it, will destroy it, it's your call, my 2 cents...

2008 MEAN GXP..... Mods... 3" Magnaflow dual exhaust,5 matching yellow engine caps,fuse cover stainless.
pep is offline  
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 05:34 PM
pep
Member
 
pep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Westbury, NY
Posts: 1,811
Send a message via AIM to pep
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyGXP View Post
There are plenty of manual transmissions that call for ATF and I have used it many times in previous cars.
True..... But not this one, and trust me I've seen manual gearboxes that had the wrong oil in it, they looked like a pile of metal sweeped into a shoebox....

2008 MEAN GXP..... Mods... 3" Magnaflow dual exhaust,5 matching yellow engine caps,fuse cover stainless.
pep is offline  
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: saxonburg,pa
Posts: 25
Gm's t-5 uses atf the new venture uses gm's synchromesh fluids
1stragtop is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome