Base vs GXP upgrade purchase - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Base vs GXP upgrade purchase

The lease on my current rental, a 2014 Nissan juke, is and was coming up on June 1, I wanted to start living life more, and I felt my car was a part of that.So a few months ago I began searching through use cars to purchase instead of leasing, which I no longer want to do, i.e. leasing. I came upon the Pontiac Solstice very recently; it was love at first sight; I just knew it was the right car for me. There are not many in New York where I live, on Long Island, in fact I found only one near me, it was a 2008 base version. At that time which is now two weeks ago or so, I did not know there was a GXP version with a more powerful engine and other amenities. I immediately had a buyer's remorse after learning there was a more powerful model of this car insofar that somehow I missed that there were two versions of this car, though I was moving very fast and have been moved very fast, so don't want to lay too much guilt upon myself. The main reason I bought this car was for fun, and I like power and speed. I paid $6500, it has 45,000 miles on it, other than some minor cosmetic imperfections, it seems to be in perfect condition. I very much like the car, it just a thorn in my side knowing now that there is a more powerful version, and whether right or wrong it's really eating at me. So I started thinking about quickly making a swap before I settle in, and moving toward a GXP.

If you good people be so kind as to graciously give me some feedback on my decision to possibly sell my currently newly acquired to upgrade to a GXP, which is going to cost a few thousand to make happen, from what I can tell so far.

While we're at it, as I started researching, I saw that there are some companies that do an eight cylinder conversions on this car, which is intriguing. To anybody's knowledge please are any such company still in business? Links to any please? Approximate prices on how much it is to do an eight cylinder upgrade? Approximately how long does it take to get done please?

Any help or assistance and such would be most authentically appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 05:59 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Welcome to the forum

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 48 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:21 AM

Welcome to the group. Hope you have many miles of smiles. If you are longing for more power then going to the gxp is the way to go, imo. Gxps were not available until 2007 and are holding a higher resale value. You could add a turbo or supercharger to your NA, but you won't have the gxp upgrades and will spend $5000+. The v8 conversion will cost around $25,000, you may be able to find a completed car at that price. You have many decisions to make! Enjoy your new ride.

07 Aggressive NA, 11-06 SOLD 9-17-08
09 WickedGXP9-25-08 Auto, Red calps,shorty antenna,windscreen,dibit & bkup light covers, leather armrests/console & door pockets,de-badged, pulsing 3rd light,GMPP CAI&tune, DDM susp set,Clear bra,garage opener in header, JPM lumbar,SOLO Mach Shty cat bk
09 Aggressive GXP Coupe 4-16-14, #577, Auto,soft top,Red calps,GM tune,GM acc whls,Conti Xtreme contact tires,pulsing 3rd light,red eng cover, DDM susp set,SOLO center Exh, Norm Valance

Last edited by WickedMike; 05-14-2017 at 07:25 AM.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 02:08 PM

I live in NY and had specific wants for the GXP I wanted (color, auto, etc). I ended up buying the one I have in Florida.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 02:19 PM
Founding Member

If you need a V8 the best thing to do is buy one that's already done. I have a friend here in Florida an also a forum member that has one for sale.
The price is in the low 30's but the car besides the V8 conversion has a lot of upgrades to the interior and suspension.
You may want to send a PM to yamatr3 here on the forum if you are interested.
The car has been feature in this forum a few times and is one of the favorites of Norm fiber glass extraordinaire here in the forum.
Welcome to the forum.
Also the price you paid was good for the mileage so a trade into a GXp or even out right selling it should not cost you to much.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 05:27 PM

Both the NA and the GXP are beautiful cars, and each offers a different level of performance and driving experience. And, there are LOTS of upgrades available for each. I know a lot of Colorado drivers who love their NAs, and I salute them. I also know many satisfied GXP owners (including me). You have a nice car. Even if you invest $$$$$ in it, it won't be a GXP. GM put a great deal of engineering into the GXP, and it shows. If power and high performance are important to you, sell the NA, and spend some time finding the right GXP. There are lots of such cars featured in this forum. Remember, the idea is to have FUN, not be miserable regretting your initial choice. Good luck.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Young View Post
Both the NA and the GXP are beautiful cars, and each offers a different level of performance and driving experience. And, there are LOTS of upgrades available for each. I know a lot of Colorado drivers who love their NAs, and I salute them. I also know many satisfied GXP owners (including me). You have a nice car. Even if you invest $$$$$ in it, it won't be a GXP. GM put a great deal of engineering into the GXP, and it shows. If power and high performance are important to you, sell the NA, and spend some time finding the right GXP. There are lots of such cars featured in this forum. Remember, the idea is to have FUN, not be miserable regretting your initial choice. Good luck.
that was really excellent advice. The idea is to have fun not to regret. And a man a state of regret at this point. I think you just helped me to make the decision to make the swap. Thank you

Last edited by MischievousGuru; 05-14-2017 at 05:44 PM.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
Welcome to the forum
thank you for the warm welcome
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedMike View Post
Welcome to the group. Hope you have many miles of smiles. If you are longing for more power then going to the gxp is the way to go, imo. Gxps were not available until 2007 and are holding a higher resale value. You could add a turbo or supercharger to your NA, but you won't have the gxp upgrades and will spend $5000+. The v8 conversion will cost around $25,000, you may be able to find a completed car at that price. You have many decisions to make! Enjoy your new ride.
please do you know any companies that do the work? Any links please? And what's with one put into Google to find one already done? What is it called? Thank you
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinVenom View Post
If you need a V8 the best thing to do is buy one that's already done. I have a friend here in Florida an also a forum member that has one for sale.
The price is in the low 30's but the car besides the V8 conversion has a lot of upgrades to the interior and suspension.
You may want to send a PM to yamatr3 here on the forum if you are interested.
The car has been feature in this forum a few times and is one of the favorites of Norm fiber glass extraordinaire here in the forum.
Welcome to the forum.
Also the price you paid was good for the mileage so a trade into a GXp or even out right selling it should not cost you to much.
I will contact Him, thank you.

without any need to get into tech-specifics, is the V8 much quicker than the GXP?
25,000 is probably a lot more than I want to get involved with just to go a little bit faster and such.
I think your advice about trading in what I have for GXP is a very good idea, thank you, however, it probably will have to do this by acquiring a GXP long-distance, have it shipped, and I'm not inclined to think that any dealer is going to want to have my car shipped to them. Any ideas on that please? Also I am waiting for the new title to come back from Albany. so I am essentially in a no-title period of time, I have not purchased a car and quite some time, as I have been leasing for some time, I am not really sure approximately how long it takes for a title to come back from Albany, and I don't believe I can sell the car until I have a new title in hand, or does anybody know different please? Yes I am an attorney, and yes there are huge holes in my legal expertise as I do mostly entertainment law, we are a special breed, and really not "lawyers" as such. I have not done "regular law" really ever, since graduating in 1996.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:33 PM

I would think that you would be required to have the title, in your name, in order to sell your vehicle. This is the time of year that the kappas come out for sale. With you being in the north you should be able to find a nice lower mileage car since most are stored away in the winter and not daily drivers, like the southern Cars. Whatever you do, good luck!

07 Aggressive NA, 11-06 SOLD 9-17-08
09 WickedGXP9-25-08 Auto, Red calps,shorty antenna,windscreen,dibit & bkup light covers, leather armrests/console & door pockets,de-badged, pulsing 3rd light,GMPP CAI&tune, DDM susp set,Clear bra,garage opener in header, JPM lumbar,SOLO Mach Shty cat bk
09 Aggressive GXP Coupe 4-16-14, #577, Auto,soft top,Red calps,GM tune,GM acc whls,Conti Xtreme contact tires,pulsing 3rd light,red eng cover, DDM susp set,SOLO center Exh, Norm Valance
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:46 PM

First off let me welcome you to the forum it's loaded with knowledgeable people who are always willing to help with anything involving our cars . Now as someone who has a modified NA I'd like to offer my point of view : My car is as quick as a GXP ,as for the suspension it literally handles like a go cart my total cost for my upgrades listed is less than 5 grand and when I was looking that was basically the difference between similar cars . I have a Hann Turbo kit ,Eibach springs , Koni shocks , a complete DDM Works brace package , and Werks Performance adjustable sway bars ,there is more but these are the basics . I enjoy modifying cars have done it all my life and when I went looking I could not find a GXP anywhere near me with the color and options I have so I ended up with an NA and knew I would not leave it stock . LS conversion cars are unique and if they are done right , that's the big issue with them , they can be a blast to own on the other hand a modified GXP or even an NA can put you in the same horsepower range for a lot less money .I was in the market for one a couple of years ago and did a lot of research and the bottom line was find a car already done because the current market for them is small and the going price is mid 20's and you should end up with a car that's sorted out. If you're looking for performance and not really into working on a car go with a GXP it's a hell of a package and with some minor tweaks can surprise a lot of the tuner cars running around .As with anything it all boils down to what you want out of a car and if selling the NA as opposed to modifying it and picking up a GXP you can't go wrong with either choice .
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 07:52 PM
Founding Member

I would post your car here in the for sale section of the forum and also in other venues, also people will travel at times to pick up the car.
As mentioned above you do need the title in hand before you can sell. Here in Florida it can take up to a couple of weeks to get it.
His V8 is quick since it is also tune, but there are upgrades that can be done to the 4cylinder GXP to make it also very fast and improve the handling. His car also has a six speed instead of the 5 speed on the GXP or base car. He has $65,000 + invested in his car but as conversions goes
the original owner takes it on the chin when the car is put up for sale.
Good luck

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~

Last edited by LatinVenom; 05-14-2017 at 07:58 PM.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 08:18 PM

Garage
Why not try the Solstice that you have purchased first...you may like it. That way you can wait on the title and not pay any more than you need to. If you decide that you want a GXP try one out. There is a GXP listed on the forum today that looks like a good buy.
Sting Ya likes this.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedMike View Post
I would think that you would be required to have the title, in your name, in order to sell your vehicle. This is the time of year that the kappas come out for sale. With you being in the north you should be able to find a nice lower mileage car since most are stored away in the winter and not daily drivers, like the southern Cars. Whatever you do, good luck!
these are really good points, and I think I will post my car for sale here, thank you for the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode