Bearing Hub Assembly Replacement ? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Bearing Hub Assembly Replacement ?

All,

I have a 2007 Solstice and I need to replace the right front Bearing Hub Assembly. I can't seem to find any DIY tips on this site. I am hoping someone can give me a link on this job.

From what I could find elsewhere, it seems straight forward, but I would appreciate hearing from anybody who has done the job themselves.

I do have some specific questions:

1. What size is the front spindle ? (I will need to buy a socket.)
2. What is the torque spec for the spindle ?
3. I think the hub bearing assembly bolts torque to 85FtLbs. Confirm ?

Thanks to anyone who can offer some advice.

Last edited by freda; 11-27-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: spelling
freda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

PM rlhammon, I know he has done a hub replacement and can answer your questions.
DEEP, GT KIT,RK RAM AIR HOOD, DUAL WING, UP-SHIELD, EIB SPRNGS, DEJON CAI & I/C PIPES, CSTM EXHAUST,CSTM PAINT AND GRAPHICS, RMR STYLE BAR, LED AND ACCENT LIGHTS, CSTM GAUGE FACE, DASHHAWK, LAMBO DOORS, AVIC F700BT NAV, BONUS SUB & AMP, Prem. pkg w/leather, A/C, Auto, 18" chrome wheels, sport pedals, Backbone, Probeam, WERKS Tune.

"BLUE DEMON"

"For those who fight for it, FREEDOM has a flavor the protected will never know"

Former WCKCC member. Now MKC member.
Gunnys GXP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Remove wheel, caliper, rotor. There is no spindle. 85ft/lb is right.

Some of what I know is from experience, some from listening or reading- most of it, I just make up

glake89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

This may help... hub (#19) held on by three bolts from the back (#12):

Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have a 2007 and had to have mine front right replaced two weeks ago. Have about 52,000 miles on the car. Does anybody know of a problem with the hubs?

2009 Brazen (Orange Metallic) Coupe - Fujita CAI, MagnaFlow Dual Exhaust, Soft Targa Top

2007 Mean Yellow GXP Solstice - Superchips Performance Tune, Fujita CAI, Kappa Intercooler Pipes, Hahn High Performance Intercooler, SOLO Performance GXP Mach Performance Exhaust & High Flow Cat, Yellow Top Radiator Hose, Chrome Turbo Cover

2006 Liquid Silver Solstice Previous Solstice

paw4764@yahoo.com

We live on Solstice Court (had the street name changed to Solstice)
MeanGXP-R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Follow up - Job Completed

Since I started this string I decided I should post a message about the job I completed.

It was fairly straight forward, but I did run into a few minor issues.

First, I had a hard time getting the small torx screw out of the rotor. I tried using a small Allen Key, but it didn't budge, and I started to strip the inside of the screw head. I decided to make a quick run to Harbor Freight and pick up a set of Torx bits. That did the job.

Next, after I removed the screw, I couldn't get the rotor off the hub. The rotor was still in good shape so I didn't want to bang on it too hard. I tried to apply some rust-solvent, but it still did not budge. But then it hit me !! What was I doing ???

I decided to just take off the old hub assembly with the rotor still attached. Once I did that, I placed wood blocks (4x4) on the floor, and laid the rotor flat on them with the hub assembly towards the floor. Then I took a malet and gently tapped the lugs on the hub assembly until it at detached from the rotor. It worked great ! Reassembly with the new hub was no problem.

I would like to point out that I purchased a non-OEM hub assembly from Car Parts Warehouse for about $110. They claim it is equivalent to the OEM part, and it's about a third of the price. I know I am taking my chances, but so far, so good. With the new hub assembly, my vibration problem has been eliminated, and I probably saved about $500-$600 doing the job myself.

I hope this helps someone else.

Thanks for all your input.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the followup!

Yeah, you can't fudge a torx bit, glad you stopped in time

You should be pretty safe with the replacement part, it's good to know that's available (I bought one used for about $60 for the same reason (the retail price)). I might go that route instead.
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freda View Post
Since I started this string I decided I should post a message about the job I completed.

It was fairly straight forward, but I did run into a few minor issues.

First, I had a hard time getting the small torx screw out of the rotor. I tried using a small Allen Key, but it didn't budge, and I started to strip the inside of the screw head. I decided to make a quick run to Harbor Freight and pick up a set of Torx bits. That did the job.

Next, after I removed the screw, I couldn't get the rotor off the hub. The rotor was still in good shape so I didn't want to bang on it too hard. I tried to apply some rust-solvent, but it still did not budge. But then it hit me !! What was I doing ???

I decided to just take off the old hub assembly with the rotor still attached. Once I did that, I placed wood blocks (4x4) on the floor, and laid the rotor flat on them with the hub assembly towards the floor. Then I took a malet and gently tapped the lugs on the hub assembly until it at detached from the rotor. It worked great ! Reassembly with the new hub was no problem.

I would like to point out that I purchased a non-OEM hub assembly from Car Parts Warehouse for about $110. They claim it is equivalent to the OEM part, and it's about a third of the price. I know I am taking my chances, but so far, so good. With the new hub assembly, my vibration problem has been eliminated, and I probably saved about $500-$600 doing the job myself.

I hope this helps someone else.

Thanks for all your input.
Well at least the "wheel bearing" part is contained in that hub that is bolted on by the 3 bolts. On many cars where the wheel bearing is pressed into the hub, you'd need a shop press, which most home mechanics do not have. I bought a small shop press with a few press cups when I started doing transmission rebuilds years ago, and haven't had to pay a shop to press in/out a bearing in a long time now. Was pretty cheap too.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

what size is the torx? (I'm gonna do mine in a couple of weeks)
Jekl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Source one is listing hubs for $175

06 09 Solstice 07 09 Sky Front Rear LH RH Wheel Hub Bearing 10345966 FW280 | eBay

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
listing here for a pair of hubs for $225

2009PontiacSolsticeWheel Hub Assembly Kit Parts from Buy Auto Parts

I called and they said that they are a "house brand" I still am curious who makes them, in that I am fairly certain that they don't make their own parts, and that carpartswarehouse.com has the exact same deal. I'm sure if I were to dig around some more, I could find more resellers with the same part, but whatever the case, it sounds like a good deal. or at least a good price.

update: I looked anyhow

http://www.carsteering.com/addtocart.../92-90065.html

http://www.autopartspoint.com/autopa...embly_Kit.html

http://www.carpartswarehouse.com/parts/92-90065_2H.html

Last edited by Jekl; 12-04-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Now I eed to replace left hub assembly

Was doing a brake job on my 2007 GXP and noticed that the left hub assmbly need to be replaced. The dealer replaced the right one two weeks ago and charged me $514.49 for the hub not including labor. Boy did I get ripped off.

2009 Brazen (Orange Metallic) Coupe - Fujita CAI, MagnaFlow Dual Exhaust, Soft Targa Top

2007 Mean Yellow GXP Solstice - Superchips Performance Tune, Fujita CAI, Kappa Intercooler Pipes, Hahn High Performance Intercooler, SOLO Performance GXP Mach Performance Exhaust & High Flow Cat, Yellow Top Radiator Hose, Chrome Turbo Cover

2006 Liquid Silver Solstice Previous Solstice

paw4764@yahoo.com

We live on Solstice Court (had the street name changed to Solstice)
MeanGXP-R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

I just got my hub assemblies today, I ordered them on tuesday or wednesday (thick headed can't remember).

got 'em from buyautoparts.com $225.00 for the pair not tax, free shipping.

as soon as my aching abdomen will allow, I'm gonna install them.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

From what I remember the Torx bit was a T27 size. But do yourself a favor, just buy the full set. I got mine at Harbor Freight for around $10.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Let us know your assessment of the quality of the "house" brand parts please.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.