Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Best place for service?

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Cruisergray 
#1 ·
Greetings all, a newbie here joining the group. Love the tons of useful info I've seen here from folks who also love these great cars, know this is the right place! Looking to buy a used Solstice (2006 to 2007) as DD, read about rear diff issues.
Questions: — No more Pontiac dealers, so is local mechanic best place to go for service/repair in Orange County, NY area, or do other GM makes use same diff (and other dealerships might be familiar with it)? — Ballpark figure $$$ for seal fix? Many thanks in advance, looking forward to being part of this group AND a Solstice owner/driver!

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum

Any current GM dealership should provide continuing maintenance support to your Solstice. We use both the local Chevy dealer and a Cadillac dealer. They both do a good job.

#3 · (Edited)
Where do you live Cruise? I have had experiences all over the country with dealerships as that's my job. I train them on a program we provide to make them quicker and make them more money as well as help the customer understand why certain maintenances must be done on their car. If I can help I will. I've been in almost all of the states in the US in the last 2.5 years. If you draw a line from draw a line from Idaho to Alabama, those are most of the states I have not been in, but can talk to guys here at work and see if they've had any experiences. Just let me know where you are....

I can give you an example of a bad dealership. I watched a tech at a foreign dealer work on a flood G6. He got the motor all cleaned out, got it running, then proceeded to take it out in the parking lot and do a first gear slam that took the rpms past redline.....and of course took the motor past it's life. I was so pissed. I actually went to the GM and told him what I had just witnessed and that his tech and manager were trying to sell the customer a new motor. Needless to say the tech wasn't there when I left.

I'm a separate company...we support many different OEs, but this one just really irked me and I will always remember it. Furthermore, if I can't help, I can tell you, look around the shop. If it's a clean shop and there are at least 1 computer for every 2 techs, it should be a decent shop. If it's filthy and there are no computers, run!!!! Oh....and if they have an alignment rack, don't count that computer as being usable computer. All shops will not allow this computer to be used for anything other then alignments.

EDIT: I just counted all of the dealers I've been too in the US and I'm over 150.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum I second what Rob , Chop Top & The Ghost stated in their posts , as for the rear seal on the 2006 & 2007 cars GM had a recall to fix the problem . If you find a car you like before you purchase it get the vin number and take it to the service department of any authorised GM dealer ,they will look it up the vin number and be able to tell you what recalls were done and any maintenance work that was performed at a GM dealership . If the seller is hesitant about giving you the vin walk away from the deal because they might be trying to hide something . There is one more recall currently in effect and that's for the passenger side airbag sensor so if you come across a car with this issue not to worry GM is working on a fix and it will be repaired free of charge .Good Luck !

#8 ·
Thanks, Sting Ya! After MUCH research, bought an excellent low-mi 2008 base Solstice convert. (but with almost all options!) from private owner, car is like new inside & out. Thank you for the helpful advice!

#6 ·
The_Ghost - Thank you for your reply! I live in Orange County, NY, in Monroe. It borders North NJ. Need someone who is familiar with these particular cars, proper way to load them onto lifts AND lift points, maintenance, repairs specific to this model, etc.
Any leads in this area would be helpful!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.