Carfaxed my car! - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Carfaxed my car!

Ever since I purchased my '06 in 2012, I have wanted to do a Carfax on it to find out info I might find desirable. Purchased from a small corner lot, they did not offer Carfax but had a similiar paper that said the car was involved in a minor accident.

When I purchased the car, it's front bumper looked like a teenager with a bad case of zits. The flare in front of the rear tires also had many chips. Paint job sucks but I am living with it. A reddish dye on the carpet (not blood) under the passenger seat. I did find a nice female costume jewelry ring under the seat. Front frame support bracket bent over about 45 degrees. When I decided to have the wheels powder coated a better color than black, I found out that one wheel was bent beyond repair.

According to Carfax, the car hit a curb then ran off the road. Had to be towed. This is the only damage reported.

Other than that, it lists the owners (dealers) and when it was sold or titled. How long it was owned by previous owners. Turns out I am the fourth owner of the car. Any service provided. Most blocks were checked "No issues Reported". I was interested in finding out why the car had been repainted. Probably done by a friend and not reported. Several spots on car (mainly trunk lid) are very poorly done.

Prior to purchasing the car, I did have a mechanic friend of mine check out the front of the car for mechanical issues and he found none other than the bent frame brace which he bent back in place with a big wrench.

The one bent rim was on the back of the car and did not cause any mishandling issues. Assume after the accident, it was moved to the rear and the good rim put on the front. I discovered it was bent when I had a local tire place dismount the tires from the rims.

I have had no issues with the car.

I was expecting more info than what I got for $40! I will neatly fold a copy of the report and stow it in the glove box for future reference if/when I sell the car.

Forgot to add the car originated in Media, Pennsylvania, first two owners in New Jersey, then to West Virginia and currently in Ohio.

Last edited by riggs314; 04-19-2017 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:38 PM

Car Fax is a joke ! I have a couple of friends in the automotive repair business and if something is not reported to a dealer or insurance it is not reported to Car Fax .A couple of years ago one of my friends had a newer Vette in his shop getting the frame straightened and some body work done for a guy we know who has a used car lot . I mentioned to him that somebody would be able to get a hell of a deal because of the damage ie :Car Fax listed , and he told me that there would never be any thing on that report because it was "washed" .I never take my car in for service except recalls or warranty work I do it all myself so if someone pulled up one of these reports it would look like my car was never maintained that's why I document everything .
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:32 PM

I agree Cart Fax is a wast of time. After I purchased my Solstice, I found out it had very hard hit in the right front ..so hard that the frame was 'ripped' from the frame straightener. No mention of this on Car Fax.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:11 PM

Garage
Of course CarFax is not going to have information nobody has reported. But, if serviced by dealers, repaired by a body shop or a collision turned into insurance, it will most likely be on the report.

When I bought my 08 GXP last year from across the country, sight unseen, I pulled a CarFax. It showed everything from pre delivery inspection, initial title registration, every license renewal, every service (at a dealer), and the ignition lock recall replacement.

Sure it is not the total information wanted, and not the only thing to rely on, but it is one tool in your arsenal when shopping for a vehicle.

Talking to the owner, listening to what he says about the car, his attitude, how he answers questions and his demeanor will reveal a lot of information. You have to be able to read between the lines. And, you have to be able to listen to the seller and determine if he is honest or not.

The CarFax will let you know which dealer serviced the car. Then you can call the dealers Service Dept. and they can look up clients service records which they may or may not reveal. If the service department will not reveal clients info, permission can be obtained from the owner. An honest owner will be forthcoming and not hesitate releasing the Service Dept. records to make a sale.

The physical inspection will reveal the rest of the story.

My GXP is not the only thing I've purchased unseen. I've purchased cars, RV's, fairly expensive items from eBay and Craig's list and back in 1990 bought a 34 foot boat located in Connecticut from the original owner without ever seeing it. I live in Washington State.

Buying from original owners is the only way to purchase things like cars and boats especially if you can not inspect them first. Unless Im shopping for a new vehicle, I avoid dealers. Even if they are honest, the dealer has no knowledge about the car except for their pre trade in inspection and whatever the previous owner told them. And even if the previous owner tells the dealer everything about the car, the salesperson will not know anything and the dealer forgot everything.

Wow! Got carried away. Sorry for the long reply. And maybe in the wrong thread.

Last edited by syjos; 04-20-2017 at 09:04 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:31 AM

Carfax is good to a point. I would always recommend a Carfax even though it might not contain all info. It's still better then absolutely nothing if you really don't know what to look for on a car....and many people don't. Being in the bodyshop world for a year, I know what to look for in the paint and frame, but many don't. I can give a story of a friend who bought a 1 year old Chrysler 300 SRT. Clean Carfax when he bought it. Took it to a shop to have something done and they told him it had been in an accident and wasn't repaired correctly. So he ran another Carfax and sure enough, 5 days prior to him buying it, there was an accident reported. Same thing kind of happened to me when I was searching for a 2nd car 2 years ago. I found a Camaro at a b-lot that was priced about $2k under what most were priced at. Called and she said yep, clean Carfax, clean title, she even faxed me the Carfax on it. But something didn't feel right so I googled the VIN. Here's pics of after and before respectively:

This was the pic of the car on their website that I called on on a Friday morning:

This was the car that I googled and was auctioned 5 days earlier:

They worked their a$$ off to get this car fixed and on the lot and sold before the Carfax and state caught up with it!!! She did have a clean title yet as well...but it had been less then 14 days since the accident!!

Carfax is great when it works correctly, but you still need to know what you're looking for on a used car!!!

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:33 AM

I posted this awhile ago, it's basically saying it's a good idea to buy more than one vehicle history report.

Used Car History Reports, Issues With Carfax & More - Conumer Reports

Or not:
Does this look clean to you? This 2007 Acura MDX, described on this Web site as a "ROLLOVER; ALL OVER," received clean history reports from all five services. AutoCheck gave it a score of 89 out of 100, its top mark among similar vehicles.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:09 AM

Garage
Used Car History Reports, Issues With Carfax & More - Conumer Reports

That's a really good article.

Though I have not done it, obtaining multiple reports is a good idea. I didn't realize there were other sources than CarFax.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well shoot! There are sure a lot of negative comments here. But at least I learned something from this. As I said before, I was hoping for more definitive info. I've wasted money before so this does not hurt too bad.

As a side note, I used to be involved in repairing "rebuidables" from the junk yard. If memory serves me correct, after the State Patrol inspected the car, I took the salvage title to the DMV and got a new "clean" title. My son drove a Chevette made from two cars. The wife drove a Citation and I drove a Datsun 4X4 that had been rolled. When sold the cars, I always informed the new owners that they were rebuilders. I actually traded my Datsun in for a new Dodge 4X4. Last time I saw the Datsun, a young man had purchased it, stripped it down and made a Mudder out of it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 05:10 AM

My advice is this. Always Carfax a vehicle. It's $40. And when you're spending 300x+ that for the price of the car, the $40 is money well spent in most cases. My other word of advice is NEVER buy a car from a b-lot that wants to hold the title till the car is paid off!!!! Luckily I've always been in a position where I can get a conventional loan or pay outright for my vehicles. But a lot of these buy here/pay here lots will hang onto the title till the vehicle is paid in full. And usually when they do that it's because they have a good title to show you when they sell you the car, and a salvage title in 3 years when you pay the car off!!

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode