Well, we're back at it and going with a bit of a different setup this time around -- a base model, with an automatic transmission, and a V8 under the hood.
This is the 2007 Canada/North Dakota car that was speculated on here over the past year and it is now safely at J&R Performance in Phoenix, where the work to make it perfect for the next owner has just begun.
The car has an LS2 and an 80LE transmission. Both the engine and tranny are low mile examples and the car itself has only 9,000 miles on it. The car was built in Canada by the previous owner and has a Ken Kelly tune that was tweaked by Tony Duncan who did tuning work on LS motors for Comp Cams.
Car is in great shape with few if any scratches or dings and the interior is perfect.
It was a bit of a stretch buying it unseen from another country, but the owner answered all of my questions, sent videos to me of the motor, etc., and with all the sponsors I have offering parts and labor, it was too good to pass up. (The car is originally a U.S. car, so that made things a little easier as well.)
Here is what is happening:
- Motor is very strong and smooth, but tune needs some tweaking. It idles too high. J&R is working to correct all of that. Shifting is excellent.
- Big radiator and shrouding appear to work well, but need to do more driving in the heat out here to be sure.
- Car has original tires, which are hard as rocks. TSW and Discount Tire already came through on new ones -- same staggered mesh Snettertons in 19x8 and 19x9.5's with 245 and 275 Hankook Ventus V12 tires. Wheel Specialists of Tempe customized the rears to fit perfectly and mounted and balanced for free. This package will go on this coming week. Thanks so much to those three sponsors who have come through again and again!
- Suspension is stock. BC Racing just donated a set of coilovers with custom spring rates for the added weight -- J&R performed a four-corner weighing to be sure the springs were made exactly as needed. Thanks, BC!
- Headers were a JBA set that were doctored to fit and had no cats. We are going back to stock C6 Vette manifolds with cats and they will mate up to a Solo center dual exhaust with Norms rear fascia. Solo has provided parts for the last three charity cars, so I can't thank Jeff enough! And Norm came through with the rear fascia for the second time! Dave at DDM has used the Solo RCD on a V8 car and says it sounds great.
- Depending on what fits with the exhaust setup, we'll eventually add underbody bracing to the package.
- Car had AC from the factory but new lines need to be run to make it work again. We have a sponsor who specializes in custom AC work on hot rods who will get the cabin ice cold again down the road.
- TCE here in Tempe has donated their custom front brake package, with silver calipers. They are ready for pickup. Thanks again, Todd!
- Don at Soundwerks has offered yet another custom setup -- this car has the Monsoon, so we are simply going to put a new, DVD/NAV head unit in the dash and have it custom grafted (no visible trim ring). He will add a reverse camera and steering wheel control modules, etc.
- I liked the carbon fiber look so much on the last car that we will have the dash and interior pieces dipped again by CGS Kustoms in Tempe.
- We'll probably have the seats redone in higher quality leather that will tie in with the steel/sand interior. Palacios Upholstery will do the work on the seats.
- DDM has offered some black Lil Chromies to replace the plastic stockers and has also already given a lot of advice on the build, so thanks, as always to Dave.
- Also, thanks much to Dave at PA who always responds with guidance on these builds (and a bunch of parts!)
- King Penn has already sent us lighted door sill covers and a custom Windrestrictor that will go on toward the end of the build. Thanks Ashli and WR for the support!
- Rolling Arts Motorsports of Scottsdale will do all the touch-ups and detailing as well as painting the front kidneys and Norm's fascia black. They are also painting the windshield surround and double-humps body color green.
- Of course, I will have all the fluids and filters changed, put in a new battery, upgrade the headlight bulbs, wipers, add Lloyd's Mats, etc. The whole idea behind these builds is to make them ready to roll, and far better than new in so many ways.
- Finally, if green is not the preferred color choice of a perspective buyer, I am having a high end wrap sponsor offer a complete wrap in the color of their choice.
- BTW, the Charity Coupe is still for sale. We are not in a big hurry as having the link active has been very helpful while soliciting support on this car. It is still sitting in the showroom at Goldie's Motors, beside a pair of classic Corvettes.
Used 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP for sale in Phoenix, AZ | Goldie's Motors
Stay tuned for more info and thanks again to all the vendors who have donated parts and support!
Below are some BEFORE photos: