cluck issue - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

cluck issue

First off I want to say I did search it and the information I found seems to point to earlier models.

I am driving an '09 Coupe and it has the clunk. It does it when I hit the gas and does it again when I let off of the gas. I did buy it "certified pre owned" so I do have a 12 month warranty on it which I plan to use after the snow is gone for the winter. Any ideas? Initial thoughts tell me it has to be something lose with how the rear end is held into place.
chain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

There is a bushing on the diff that can fail.

Some of what I know is from experience, some from listening or reading- most of it, I just make up

glake89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain View Post
First off I want to say I did search it and the information I found seems to point to earlier models.

I am driving an '09 Coupe and it has the clunk. It does it when I hit the gas and does it again when I let off of the gas. I did buy it "certified pre owned" so I do have a 12 month warranty on it which I plan to use after the snow is gone for the winter. Any ideas? Initial thoughts tell me it has to be something lose with how the rear end is held into place.
Sorry to hear you're having a noise issue. Let us know when you decide to take it to the dealership. I hope all is well considering. Have a great New Year!

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GMCustomerSvc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you're having a cluck issue, I'd guess you have a chicken under your hood
Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lol, yeah I just noticed I typed "cluck" rather than "clunk" on the thread title. Made me laugh too.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
No mersy from da phorum diction police

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 45 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain View Post

Is your car a manual or an automatic?

If it is an auto there is the bushing in the back on the differential that could be causing the clunk that you are hearing when loading the drivetrain and unloading it. This is a common noise on the earlier cars, especially the 2006's. If you have a manual, the 2009 cars all had a torque arm that attaches the transmission directly to the differential and would look at other areas.

Dave
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

2.4L - Stage 3 Supercharged - 305whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Rotrex Supercharged - 340whp - 93 octane
2.4L - Custom Turbo - 304whp - 93 octane
2.0L - 2871 Hybrid turbo - 371whp - 93 octane
Dave@ddmworks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Oka View Post
If you're having a cluck issue, I'd guess you have a chicken under your hood
Saw "cluck" and chicken came running! Sorry you're having an issue with the car, just glad one of my brethren didn't end up under your hood!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

The clunk is usually a manifestation of what are known as "tolerances". Whenever a part is manufactured, it can be tight on a tolerance or loose. Every so often, a transmission will be produced where all the parts are on the loose side, such that you can turn the tail shaft more before it tightens up than would be "normal", despite all the parts in the transmission being within tolerance.

The same can happen with the differential.

When you get a loose transmission paired with a loose differential, you have more clunk than when you have a tight transmission and a tight rear diff.

All cars have clunk to some degree. In many cars it is not noticeable because of sound deadening and further distance from the drivers seating position.

In our Solstices we sit right next to the transmission and drive shaft, and quite close to the differential. For that reason, the clunk is more noticeable.

As a practical matter, there is very little a dealer can do to reduce clunk, short of replacing either the transmission or differential, or both. It is quite possible to have one or the other replaced and end up with more clunk than what you started with.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Mine is an auto. I will be taking it to the dealer in the spring. My clunk is very noticable and I am fairly confident they can only make it better.

I guess I should be careful talking like that when it comes to a dealership lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.