Which do you recommend: 2008 SOL or SKY? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Which do you recommend: 2008 SOL or SKY?

My friend is looking at a 2008 SKY Redline with 32,000 miles. I told her to wait and look for a SOL (either 2.4 or 2.0).

What do you think? As far as parts, service, performance (longevity), quality, etc. ... which do you think would be a BETTER choice: 2008 SOL or 2008 SKY?

Also, which will hold value better? The 2008 SOLSTICE or SKY (assuming "like for "like engines?"

And if she remains in "stubborn" mode, is the Redline 2.0 Turbo worth how much extra (on the average for a super clean car) over the 2.4 engine?

Thanks for your input!
kasher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would think it's purely personal preference. For reliability, they are the exact same cars underneath, built on the same production lines, so the only differences are exterior and interior panels.

As for value, again, there's not much in it (and no-one can forecast what happens down the road). There were less Sky's made than Sol's apparently. Don't know that that means much.

Personally I prefer the Sol's exterior and Sky's interior - but the exterior won out.

DEFINITELY get the turbo version though
Old 11-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I just answered this same question with basically the same answer!

But sadly at 9:35 vice Soup's answer at 9:28

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Either way, your winning. Just get both. I have a Sky and now the lady wants a Sol. I would suggest the 2.0 LNF in either selection though.
Gabes Redline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ditto. Because they are mechanically identical underneath it comes down to a look thing. That, and some believe the SKY's basic interior was nicer; plus basic Kappa SKY was more expensive than basic Kappa Solstice. I've always thought the Sol was a classic design, whereas the SKY more trendy, some see it as the other way around. Along with some thinking one design is more masculine/feminine than the other. The 2.4 vs 2.0 decision is easier, most everyone agree's if someone is more performance orientated spending more on the 2.0 is a no-brainer, plus with the GMPP it takes the OEM 260 up to 290, whereas your have to purchase major add ons to get the 2.4 to run with it. Just always remember condition always plays a big part as it relates to value.

If possible park each side by side, that usually helps in the looks department.

BTW, search for; auto or manual ?
2006/#482/First 1,000/Triple Blk/2.4 Manual/BCCoilovers/JPM Shifter (classic white w/black 5spd pattern)

2009/#480/GXP of 1266 Targa Coupes/Aggressive/Silver Metallic Stripe/Auto/Optional Polished Split Spokes/GMPP/Solo Mach Shorty/Norms Front GXP Splitter/BCCoilovers/DDM Backbeam & Probeam

LowLife handle simply means likes lowered cars
LowLife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

The turbo in either is the way to go. Either car will be a blast to drive and whatever choice she makes will be decided by her taste in design. Good luck!
09 WickedGXP9-25-08 Auto, Red calps,shorty antenna,windscreen,side grill & bkup light covers, leather armrests/console & door pockets,de-badged, pulsing 3rd light,red eng cover,GMPP CAI&tune, Probeam/Backbone,Clear bra,garage opener in header, JPM lumbar inserts,SOLO Mach Shty cat bk
09 Aggressive GXP Coupe 4-16-14, #577, Auto,soft top,Red calps,GM tune,GM acc whls,Conti Xtreme contact tires,pulsing 3rd light,red eng cover, probeam & backbone
WickedMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Either way ~ go for a GXP or a Redline

For what it's worth, they built about twice as many Pontiacs before they killed the assembly line during the so-called GM Baliout.
KappaKadet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

I think that the only valid question in choosing between the Sol and the Sky is, as has already been stated, personal preference. Anything else is speculation, and won't matter for years anyway.

There were fewer Skys built, but there is a perception of inferiority (as you demonstrated) of the Saturn vs the Pontiac. Future value ? Flipping a coin may help. On the other hand, why pass up what you prefer now in the hope that it may be worth a little more some day ?

The base Sky cost more than the base Sol because it came with more standard features. That is also the reason that the Sky's curb weight is listed as higher. Comparably equipped, the cars and their prices are pretty much the same.

The turbo was originally priced $4k higher than the 2.4. The differential now seems to be closer to $3k.

Overall, cars with the 2.4 seem to be more reliable than those with the turbo.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

There seem to be more parts available for the Solstice as well simply because there were more built. As others have said though mechanically, they're the same.
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
Sly Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

I like them both and I had no preference on which one, nor did I care if it was manual or automatic. The Lord sent me a Sky with a 5 speed and I must say that He did a great job!
carnut122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Bob View Post
There seem to be more parts available for the Solstice as well simply because there were more built. As others have said though mechanically, they're the same.
From MY2007 on to the end of production in 2009, they were pretty much identical mechanically. The 2006 Solstice suspension was a bit stiffer than the 2007s.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

What is better to eat - and apple or a pear ?

When you find that answer, you will have answered your own question grasshopper.

My Garage http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/garage/1132
King-Oka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

Smile

Just get one of each.
Texas2Gun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Or two of the same:

Old 11-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
The fraternal twins

Another consideration is auto vrs manual. Read the thread
Auto transmission suckage
before you buy a turbo auto.
Attached Thumbnails
Which do you recommend: 2008 SOL or SKY?-night-time.jpg   Which do you recommend: 2008 SOL or SKY?-red-green.jpg  

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.