EDAG Hardtop Purchase... - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #31 (permalink)

Next!! Picture eleven is of the trunk lid removed and the hinge plate installed. Picture twelve is a better view of the hinge plate. Picture thirteen is trunk lid on the floor ready to be put in storage. Picture fourteen is the plastic cover plate behind seats. Picture fifteen shows how it is slightly warped. Will have to figure out how to fix...double sided tape?
Attached Thumbnails
EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5365.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5366.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5367.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5369.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5370.jpg  

riggs314 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #32 (permalink)

Next!! The remaining shots are of the installed top. The green tape was to hopefully prevent paint scratches. The shots without the tape are of the final installationl. Remember, it ain't done yet. Have to go around and get paint quotes.
Attached Thumbnails
EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5371.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5372.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5373.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5374.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5375.jpg  

Old 11-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #33 (permalink)

Last pictures...remember, I had said I am no lover of hardtops. I would much rather be in the wind but this top is so different and so darn neat, that I had to have it and try it out. Maybe a sunroof in the future?!!!
Attached Thumbnails
EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5376.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5377.jpg  
Old 11-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #34 (permalink)

Well Riggs - I like it. Thanks a bunch for posting all this stuff. I appreciate the great info. Too bad I live so far away , as I would buy one for the sole purpose of changing things up occasionally.

My Garage http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/garage/1132
King-Oka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #35 (permalink)

Here is what it looks like out in the sunshine. Went for a twenty mile drive. Surprisingly quiet ride. My wife found some scratches in the glass on the passenger side. Do not know if they will polish out or not. Since they are made of unobtainium, will have to live with it. Drove to a body shop that has a good reputation. Recommended by a good friend of mine. They did not want to do the job...too much work. Said they are mainly a collision repair shop which means they rip insurance agencies off for more money than the job is really worth. Told the guy to kiss off and left. Will go to my usual places Monday for estimates on paint. By the way, there are pits, typical holes in fibreglass, in the bottom section. Many scratches in the top section...not deep. A couple of low spots and high spots in top surface. Typical for that type of material. Will require a bit of work prior to painting. May have to remove side windows.
Attached Thumbnails
EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5379.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5381.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5382.jpg  
Old 11-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #36 (permalink)

Looks good!!!
cdnite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #37 (permalink)

Riggs, looks good, appreciate any close up antenna base shots. BTW, since I purchased a used top it was already painted black, but don't remember seeing/looking at it that close once it was realized it was a no-go without installation kit. Also, really don't see any reason a good body shop couldn't paint the top before installation other than it being a PIA to move around. Because respected body shops generally allow potential customers to tour their facility and are willing and want to answer all questions regarding how clients cars/parts are handled/repaired, etc.

Also, respected & qualified local automotive glass shops may offer scratch glass repair services, and I'd think power orbital type polishing systems would be preferable over hand polishing due to the difficultly it takes to generating enough friction.

Several windshield scratch repair vids on YouTube, here's just one;
2006/#482/First 1,000/Triple Blk/2.4 Manual/BCCoilovers/JPM Shifter (classic white w/black 5spd pattern)

2009/#480/GXP of 1266 Targa Coupes/Aggressive/Silver Metallic Stripe/Auto/Optional Polished Split Spokes/GMPP/Solo Mach Shorty/Norms Front GXP Splitter/BCCoilovers/DDM Backbeam & Probeam

LowLife handle simply means likes lowered cars
LowLife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #38 (permalink)

Included a couple of antenna shots...is this what you wanted to see? The green tape is from when I had taped off the car in order to mount the top without scatching the paint. I think the area needs to be beveled out just a bit more before paint.

Peter sent me a picture of a top covered in vinyl. I thought that sure is different! Went to my upholstery guy and he said about $500 to do the top in black vinyl. Side windows will have to come off. Body shop says about $450 - $500 to paint lower section black or $1000 to paint the entire top. Again, side windows have to come off. Last stop was to my body/paint guy and he talked me out of the vinyl top and go with black basecoat/clearcoat. He is going to fix the imperfections, prime it, block it and paint it for $800. An automotive glass guy is coming over to the house to remove the two side windows. $75 a window. This includes re-installing the glass. I did talk to Peter and he has more glass if we crack or break anything getting it removed.

Why is it everything I do usually involves spending lots more money?!!!

Btw...I think it would be no big deal to make your own mounting kit from what I have seen. Biggest problem would be the plate that locks down the rear trunk hinges and then the top bolts to that plate. When I remove the top for paint, I may make a template and see if I can make one up...just for the heck of it!
Attached Thumbnails
EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5383.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5385.jpg  

Last edited by riggs314; 11-14-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #39 (permalink)

Glass guys came out this afternoon and removed the side windows from the top. Took a bit of time but they finally got 'em. Said it was a hard job but not as hard as some they have done. Tomorrow afternoon, I take the top off and get it ready to deliver to my body/paint guy.
Attached Thumbnails
EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5386.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5389.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5388.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5387.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-img_5390.jpg  

Old 11-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #40 (permalink)
Founding Member

Here you go. Thanks for all the help Peter it was a pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-photo3.jpg  
SOLSTZ06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #41 (permalink)

SOLSTZ06...that looks like the black top that was just behind mine when I picked mine up in Decatur.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #42 (permalink)

Could be it's in Canada now.
Solheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #43 (permalink)
Founding Member

Many thanks to Peter for his assistance. A perfect way to get through fall and early spring. Very well made piece, great fitment and it rides well too. "Is that a new model, I've never seen that one before!"
Attached Thumbnails
EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-pict2506.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-pict2507.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-pict2509.jpg   EDAG Hardtop Purchase...-pict2512.jpg  
Old 11-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #44 (permalink)
Founding Member

I kill any thread just by posting on it
Old 11-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs314 View Post
Next!! The remaining shots are of the installed top. The green tape was to hopefully prevent paint scratches. The shots without the tape are of the final installationl. Remember, it ain't done yet. Have to go around and get paint quotes.
Ok, you do know that there's a law prohibiting guys having a perfectly clean garage AND plants, right?

Last edited by SkyPilot; 11-28-2012 at 01:35 PM.
SkyPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.