Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Factory radio electrical hum....

809 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  TomatoSoup 
#1 ·
I reported a year or so ago that I have an annoying hum to my radio. I thought, because I was running without my AM door sills that it might be that...so I taped up the leads and it seemed to have gone away. It would only happen occasionally, until this week.

First let me describe the sound...it is electrical coming through the speakers. A hum/buzz if you will, rather loud and scares the poo out of me when it happens. It usually stops on it's own.

Now, this week I think I have figured out the source. I left my top down at work yesterday in direct sunlight. It was about 90 degrees here, and I could not touch the center console when I crawled in the car. I started it and backed out, put my elbow on the center console and got the nasty hum. I pulled over, jumped out and ran to the other side of the car, checked the wires, but it didn't stop. So as I was getting back in, I put my elbow on the console again and it snap, crackled and popped. So I decided to bang on the console....low and behold, I found the annoying source. IMSMC the amp is in there right??? So next weekends chore it to rip out the center console and see if the amps cover is cracked or there is any signs of damage or loose wires.... Any thoughts?

#2 ·
If by "center console" you mean the center armrest, then no, not the amp. BUT the main wiring bundle that feeds the amp runs under there. Maybe you have a torn/worn wire, or more likely a bad/loose ground - there's a couple around there (incl. one on the side wall beside the driver seat IIRC).

The amp sits upright on the back wall behind the driver seat.

#3 ·
Thanks Tomato.... I figured as much. So, looks like next weekend I'm going to be having some fun!! Any instructions on how to pull the center armrest??

#4 ·
Get your finger tips under the edge at the back first, and pop the back up. Then slide it backwards an inch or so, until the clips at the front slide out from under the edge. then lift forward and up off the handbrake lever.

Here's a couple of photos I found showing the ground I was talking about (in the middle of each photo):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.