Fix the saggy seat! some DIY from JPM - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
JPM

Fix the saggy seat! some DIY from JPM

Ok, I know I've promised to do one of these so here goes. A how-to on fixing the problem with the saggy seat issue for the OEM leather on the kappas.

This walk through will help you take preventative measures to keep your leather seat from sagging in the bottom area. You can also do a fix if you already have the sag forming.

So, without further delay, let's jump forward to the part where we take stuff apart. Now remember, this is professional upholstery advice that I trust you will take to the grave with you. Can't have the average Joe eating in to my seat fixing monopoly in the Souteast

Things you need to do the fix:

- 14mm ratchet
- 15mm ratchet/wrench
- a flathead screwdriver
- razor blade
- Alan key set or torx bit set for ratchet
- some high heat upholstery spray glue
- 40 or 60 grit sand paper
- flat edge (like a paint stick)
- 1/4" closed cell foam

Now, I assume everybody knows where to get the basic tools. Here is where you can get some of the other items I mentioned...

Upholstery spray glue: DAP Weldwood High-Heat Spray Adhesive
It's important to have a high quality spray glue such as this or your glue will just fall apart the second it gets hot. 3m glue from home depot will not suffice.

closed cell foam: 1/4" Thick Volara Sculpting Foam
you just need 1yd (minimum qty order)

So far you've spend about $25 for these items with shipping, not including the sand paper which might be available locally. Now the take apart section.

Get your 14mm ratchet out with and remove the two nuts that hold your seat on in the front:

and the two in the back:

Make sure you remove any wire harnesses that might be attached to the seat:

Next, tilt the seat forward and remove the torx bolt that holds the seatbelt on. I can't remember the size off the top of my head. I think it was 43 or so. Anyway, if you don't have a torx bit to fit, a properly sized alan key can take the bolt out as well.

You can now remove the seat from the car and put it on a work table or clean area of the floor somewhere where you can tilt it back and not scuff the leather.

If you have a seat height adjustment, remove the switch by prying out on the left side of the switch:

Then, pull the switch out and disconnect it from the harness.

Tilt the seat back and remove the plastic clips from the front and rear:

The clips that hold the side on vary between models. Some have the same clips on the side that are on the front and back. Some are not so lucky and they have automotive push plugs that hold the sides in. If you take the push plugs off, YOU WILL BREAK THEM. There's a small chance you can get them off without breaking them but it's unlikely. Go ahead and buy some more: AUVECO Clip 11675
JPM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
JPM

Ok, on to the next round. tilt the seat forward by lifting the side lever and remove the 15mm nuts on the outside of the hinge area:

The plastic inner peice needs to be removed as well...BUT! before you remove the plastic inner peice, mark down on the seat where the V-notch is located and make sure you don't mix them up from right to left. They are put on in a certain way.

After that's done, remove the bottom cushion from the seat frame. Then, slowly peel the leather off. it's held on with velcro:

Keep one finger on the hook side that is on the seat foam as it has a tendency to separate from the seat itself and stay stuck together. If one area should rip off, use the upholstery glue to put it back into place.

Ok, now the culprit. look at your seat bottom. The leather peice that goes on top is flat. However, your seat cushion is definitely not flat on the bottom:

This curve in the seat causes the leather to stretch down into it's concave shape and it doesn't have anything to fill it back up with when you get up. Effect: Saggy leather seat issue.

The cure is easy. You need to level out the concave area. Start by cutting a shape out of the foam that matches the seat. It just has to be close. Let it be larger than you need to so you can trim it down on the seat. Using the upholstery spray, cover the seat cushion and one side of the foam. Let it dry a bit and get tacky, then stick the two together:

Use the razor blade to trace around the actual seat foam cutting the new foam to its identical outline.

Next, grab your 60 grit sand paper and put it on a flat stick like a paint stick that is no longer than the section of cushion that you're working on.

Now, using back and forth motion with the sand paper, level off the new closed cell foam. Since it's a concave shape with the seat, only the sides will get flat and the center will still dip down:

When you've flattened the new foam so it's level with the front and back of teh concave seat (when you've reach yellow foam on the front and rear edge), start the process again filling the small concave area with a small peice of foam and start leveling off again with the sand paper:

After about three layers and lots of sanding you've got a perfectly flat seat cushion:

BTW, the yellow stripes between each section is the glue that was used.

So, if you have a new seat with minimal sag, you've done it. Put the leather back on pushing the corners down on the velcro and reinstalling the seat in the reverse order. If your seat has considerable sag, you might want to add additional foam to it. However, don't add anymore closed cell foam. This is high density foam and you want to be able to put your seat cover back on with no problems. The best thing to do is to get 1/4" headliner foam from your local fabric store such as this: Alpine Headliner Fabric Headliner Fabric from Hancock Fabrics Online Fabric Store.

Add one layer if your seat is not bad off yet or even two layers for 1/2" extra thickness if your seat is really sagging. This last layer of soft foam will let your seat feel comfortable and it will spring back up to keep the leather from sagging down once you get out of your car.

As a note, this can only be done on the driver's side. The passenger side is already flat b/c of the airbag weight sensor.

Ok, so that's it. You've all graduated JPM's upholstery clinic. Come back next week where I teach you how to make your own fuzzy dice.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post this. I assume the moderators will want to make this a sticky.

I have a 2 week old car and haven't a problem yet but if I do I know what to do.

Your's a great asset to this community.

Bob
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
Sly Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

This is great!

JPM center console, center and door handles, tulip
C. Custom door pockets, tinted windows
opal antennae, Dark Mahogany Dash
Aftershock spoiler
Aftershock smoke/black marker lights - blinker modded
MRZ Billet buttress covers, Billet AC Bezels
chemist garage door opener
black painted/decaled calipers
LED red interior lighting
Glass Trunk mounted red lit GXP Windblade
Windrestricter lit doorsils.
GMPP tune
Krelubot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Founding Member

excellent post and links! thanks.
'07 GXP - 3/19/07 - 5 Speed auto - Black/Charcoal Leather - Red stitching- LSD - Monsoon - MP3 - XM - A/C - ABS - Cruise - GXP Floormats - Chrome wheels - Sport pedals - leather visor covers - GM Stage power upgrade - Polished Santana cupholder

my other vehicle is a 2008 jeep wrangler rubicon unlimited
RichSol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Now that is a Supporting Vendor!!

You just solidified my business for an interior upgrade when the time's right.

Thank you.
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

One of the best how-to's that I've seen! Thanks.

I can't wait for next week's installment.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Great instructions, fun to read. Now I still will pay you to fix my seat. Looking forward to getting you up here for a mod meet or other event.

How about visiting Kentucky? I bet we could sign up enough work to make it worth your while.

chuck

I hang out on the kappaperformance forum
chuckdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2008, 12:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
JPM

Sure thing. I'll be in Kentucky for the Southeastern meet.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Really great , and easy to understand, instructions!!!!!! I can't wait for the fuzzy dice Thanks for the info!
First 1000 Order VIN # 000218 - Time Stamp 2:35:20
DEEP with Steel/Sand leather,
142,600+ miles on the odo and still goin' strong - My wife named my car "Nittany" after Penn State, my Alma Mater
Reborn at the factory at 57,100 miles
New water pump and timing chain at 104,181 miles
Exhaust cam solenoid valve at 121,000 miles

WPASC ( Western PA Area Solstice Club )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding Member #41
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Resting up after the Pgh. Vintage Grand Prix !"
Ex-Miata Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2008, 07:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM View Post
Sure thing. I'll be in Kentucky for the Southeastern meet.
We also need to talk about the Oct MD Mod Meet when I at the shop later this month to get my seat done along with a dozen other things

Mysterious GXP
May you always be topless with a full tank
NASSOA Founding Member #95
Cheers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

Both seats on my 07 GXP with only 1400 miles are already starting to sag. I am hoping that my dealer will fix it under warranty. But if not, I just spoke with Joe at JPM and I will send both seat bottoms to him to put memory foam on the bottoms. Great guy, great service, and great prices!!!! Thanks Joe.

Craig

2007 Pure GXP, with just about everything.
craig.martell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to spiky3480
Joe,
I need my seats done bad. They sag like crazy...do you sell the inserts of foam already shaped? Can one do it themself, even if they've never taken a seat apart?

2007 Mysterious GXP

Supporting Member of Solstice Forum

Exhaust Sound Clips
Camaro and G8 Solo Exhaust Sound Clips
spiky3480 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 08:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Man I love my dealer: Gilroy Pontiac Buick GMC!!! I went by to show them the sagging seats, my salesman sat in it and said "wow, it bottoms out doesn't it?" We then went to show the service manager and he just said, "Ok, I will order some new seat cushions." These guys are great!! No issues at all. They even went around the car with me to see what other problems I might have. Here's what we came up with:

1) Sagging seats;
2) Door latch popping issue (I brought the TSB with me);
3) They will check my sway bar bushings (I have a new 07);
4) Pinching top problem;
5) Loose center console; and
6) Misaligned front cup holder (when closed).

These guys are just great. If any of you have any warranty work you need, and are unsure of your dealer's reaction, go and see these guys.

Craig

2007 Pure GXP, with just about everything.
craig.martell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2008, 08:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig.martell View Post
Man I love my dealer: Gilroy Pontiac Buick GMC!!! I went by to show them the sagging seats, my salesman sat in it and said "wow, it bottoms out doesn't it?" We then went to show the service manager and he just said, "Ok, I will order some new seat cushions." These guys are great!! No issues at all. They even went around the car with me to see what other problems I might have. Here's what we came up with:

1) Sagging seats;
2) Door latch popping issue (I brought the TSB with me);
3) They will check my sway bar bushings (I have a new 07);
4) Pinching top problem;
5) Loose center console; and
6) Misaligned front cup holder (when closed).

These guys are just great. If any of you have any warranty work you need, and are unsure of your dealer's reaction, go and see these guys.

Craig
What you don't realize is that the dealer replacing the seat won't solve your problem as you see from JPM's photo, the seat is scupted out and the leather will stretch.

The cup holder, if the passenger one, you can pull out on it when it is open to fix the allignment issue.

See my car on cardomain.com
DeepBlueGXP also on the Skyroadster and Kappa Performance Forum.
Deepbluegxp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.