Front End Squeak - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Front End Squeak

As the weather has turned colder this fall my 2008 Solstice GXP developed a squeak that is coming from the front of the car. As the temperature continues to drop the squeak has gotten louder. I remembered reading on the forum of other cars having this problem and did a search.

Found a post from 2007 that claims the noise may be caused by the contacted surfaces of the insulator bushings squeaking against the stabilizer bar and/or clamp in cold weather. Took a copy of the posting with me to the dealer because it describes exactly what the car is doing.

I have an appointment to take the car in next week to be looked at. I have an extended warranty that I purchased from the dealer when I bought the car new.

My concern is that within the last two weeks I installed a DDM Latin Venom Front Brace. The squeak was there before I installed the brace so I know it is not causing the noise. However, will the dealer have any basis to claim that the brace is in the way or has to be removed to work on the parts causing the problem thus charging me additional money? Basically what I am wondering is should I remove the brace before taking the car in for service? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Jack19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
The dealer will probably tell you that the noise is normal in any case. The bushing is doing its job, just in cold weather on some cars they complain.

I have never experienced that squeek on either or our cars, but know others that have. The easiest fix is to put some lube in there periodically. There are several threads on this over on the Sky forum too.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Plus it's highly unlikely that the dealer will a) notice the brace, or b) realise it's not factory installed.

Frankly if the dealer refuses to cover it, just go away and do as Rob said - squirt it with lube. Or buy new bushings and replace them your self (on the difficulty scale of 1-10, this is at most a 2). Of course, it's likely the new ones will start squeaking too!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Spray Teflon lube works pretty good. You can jamb the tube in between the sway bar and bushing. The Teflon seems to hold up fairly well. But if you want a longer lasting solution, you have to pull the bushing off and coat it with something pretty gooey. (no comments allowed here )
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

My car gets the squeak when it gets below 25 or so - which doesn't happen very often in Austin - and I've read somewhere on this forum or another that you can get replacement bushings with a grease fitting. I hardly ever have to drive the sol in the cold so I haven't bothered to investigate further.

2009 DEEP SOLSTICE COUPE N.A. MANUAL TRANNY PURCHASED
NEW YEAR'S EVE 2009

Coupe 112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack19 View Post
As the weather has turned colder this fall my 2008 Solstice GXP developed a squeak that is coming from the front of the car. As the temperature continues to drop the squeak has gotten louder. I remembered reading on the forum of other cars having this problem and did a search.

Found a post from 2007 that claims the noise may be caused by the contacted surfaces of the insulator bushings squeaking against the stabilizer bar and/or clamp in cold weather. Took a copy of the posting with me to the dealer because it describes exactly what the car is doing.

I have an appointment to take the car in next week to be looked at. I have an extended warranty that I purchased from the dealer when I bought the car new.

My concern is that within the last two weeks I installed a DDM Latin Venom Front Brace. The squeak was there before I installed the brace so I know it is not causing the noise. However, will the dealer have any basis to claim that the brace is in the way or has to be removed to work on the parts causing the problem thus charging me additional money? Basically what I am wondering is should I remove the brace before taking the car in for service? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
Sorry to hear about the concerns you're having with the noise on your Solstice. Please keep us updated on the issue and dealership outcome. Generally modifications will void the warranty if they are determined to cause any of the said conditions. I hope this is resolved quickly for you. Also, if you send a DM, please include your VIN#, name, situation, dealership, current mileage, and contact information. Thank you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GMCustomerSvc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Re: Front End Squeak

Agree. Every fall I apply a very light of dielectric silicone grease to the bushings when I am changing to winter tires. Quick and easy and eliminates the squeak. Doubt a dealer will do this as it is a "normal" condition.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Enkei Ammodo Wheels
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!
Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

I do not believe he has an add on product, he is talking about the stock front sway bar, the rubber bushings squeak when it gets cold. You can lube them or the dealer can, or replace them with polyurethane for about $20 like I did hasn't squeaked in years. No one makes a sway bar bushing for the front of our cars with a grease fitting, they do for the back. It takes just a few minutes to lube them. It's 2 15 mm bolts to remove lube and replace, takes longer to jack the car up than it does to fix it.
RMR Style Bar.
SSR Type C wheels, Nitto 555's
DDM Works PINK Breastplate, PRO Beam
HKS Coilovers
GXP Z0K rear sway bar with urethane bushings
Custom Jonymac glass wind screen, one of a kind.
Eclipse AVN726e; ZED Audio Leviathan, Image Dynamics tweeters, CTS door subs, active crossover tri-amped. Audio Control 6 channel 30 band parametric EQ.
JL Audio 10" sub
lil goat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

You don't even have to jack the car up. Just turn the front wheels out away from the one you are working on. You can reach under with a ratchet and pull the cap off in about 2 minutes.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Stage 1 View Post
You don't even have to jack the car up. Just turn the front wheels out away from the one you are working on. You can reach under with a ratchet and pull the cap off in about 2 minutes.
OK, now I'm confused... what cap and what do you need a ratchet for? I thought we were talking about the stock sway bar rubber bushings?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Re: Front End Squeak

Yes, the cap is the u bracket held in place by a couple of bolts.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Enkei Ammodo Wheels
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!
Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

TS I sent you a PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
OK, now I'm confused... what cap and what do you need a ratchet for? I thought we were talking about the stock sway bar rubber bushings?
The sway bar bushing is held in place with a u-shaped cap and two bolts. The bushing itself is split on one side, so you can easily remove it, once the retainer cap has been removed.

Reach under with a ratchet, short extension and 10 mm socket (I think it's 10, can't remember for sure). Pull the cap. slip the bushing off. Clean everything up really good, including the sway bar. Coat inside of bushing with thick lube of some kind (lots of opinions on what to use-I have tried them all. For me, good old thick red grease seems to last the best). Put everything back together. This technique will usually last at least one season, I have had it go up to two seasons.

Or if you you don't want to go to that kind of effort: Just reach under with a spray can of Teflon and jamb the spray tube between the bushing and the bar. This technique will buy you a month or maybe two.

Last edited by GS Stage 1; 01-17-2013 at 11:42 AM.
GS Stage 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Ahh, now I got ya... Yeah, I thought we were only discussing your option 2. (Plus I would call the 'cap' a 'bracket' myself )
Old 01-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

Is this the cap you are talking about?
Attached Thumbnails
Front End Squeak-bushing.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.