Front End Squeak - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Yep that's it. And if you remove it to grease the inside of the rubber bushing, then this is the kind of grease you want to use:

Not necessarily the brand, but dielectric grease of some type. Available at auto parts stores, or probably Walmart (etc)
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack19 View Post
Is this the cap you are talking about?
That is it. And by the book, you do want to use some kind of grease that is rated not to fubar the composite rubber bushing.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

I removed the bushings from the car so I could lube the inner portions and the bar, with some of this:

Years ago, and it's been squeak free since.

Don't bother trying to just spray something on, without removing anything. As others have mentioned, you must remove the bushings and grease before reinstalling. Spraying on the outside doesn't do much for long. And use something more like a grease than an oil, i.e. WD40 so it lasts longer.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

The Squeak Is Gone

The Squeak Is Gone!

With online help from GS Stage 1 and a phone call from TomatoSoup the squeak has been eliminated.

Once I knew what the brackets looked like and where they were located it was a very easy job. Only took about ten minutes per side. Only tools needed were a ratchet, an extension, and a 15 mm socket.

I put the car on ramps so I could get under it which made removing the bolts and brackets easier. The bushing is split on one side which makes it easy to remove.

Cleaned the brackets, bushings, and stabilizer bar with a silicone spray and a rag. Lubricated the brackets, bushings, and bar then reinstalled them. I did one side at a time so the bar would stayed in place.

First picture is of the bracket installed. Second is bolts and bracket removed. Third is stabilizer bar with bracket and bushing removed. Fourth is bracket and bushing removed from stabilizer bar.

Thanks to everyone for their input I will cancel my appointment with the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Front End Squeak-bracket.jpg   Front End Squeak-bolts-bracket-removed-bar.jpg   Front End Squeak-bar-bracket-bushing-removed.jpg   Front End Squeak-bracket-bushing-removed-bar.jpg  
Jack19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

Good write up. The first winter with my Solstice I had this problem and took it back to the dealer and he greased the bushings but the next winter, the problem returned., This year I decided to replace them with greasable Prothane bushings. Hopefully I'll never have to remove the bushings again, just give them a shot of grease when needed.

Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushing Set PONTIAC SOLSTICE 2006 - 2007 9.5160R

Note that the front and rear bushings are different sizes. The front are 1 5/16" (34mm) and the rears are 1 1/16" (27mm)

Foot Well lights, side marker turn signal, trunk spring, Antenna Delete, Retractable License plate, Clear Turn signals, Painted Calipers+decals

My solstice Site with HowTo Articles- http://www.cherod.com/solstice

Last edited by odiaz; 01-18-2013 at 08:57 PM.
odiaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #21 (permalink)

I got the squeak today... 30˚ in CT
Great post. I'll have to get under there and grease her up!
09SkyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #22 (permalink)

2008 Base/ Premium: This is why I love this site. It has gotten cold here in VA. The other night driving home from work, I went over a bump and I had the "squeak." Thanks to everyone and to Jack19 for the great pictures. This weekend, I am on this repair.
omw41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiaz View Post
Good write up. The first winter with my Solstice I had this problem and took it back to the dealer and he greased the bushings but the next winter, the problem returned., This year I decided to replace them with greasable Prothane bushings. Hopefully I'll never have to remove the bushings again, just give them a shot of grease when needed.

Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushing Set PONTIAC SOLSTICE 2006 - 2007 9.5160R

Note that the front and rear bushings are different sizes. The front are 1 5/16" (34mm) and the rears are 1 1/16" (27mm)
The greasable rears are easy to find I never found any for the front with the fittings, I even had a hard time finding just poly for the front, used bushings off a 2005 mustang and the stock brackets, not a squeak since.
RMR Style Bar.
SSR Type C wheels, Nitto 555's
DDM Works PINK Breastplate, PRO Beam
HKS Coilovers
GXP Z0K rear sway bar with urethane bushings
Custom Jonymac glass wind screen, one of a kind.
Eclipse AVN726e; ZED Audio Leviathan, Image Dynamics tweeters, CTS door subs, active crossover tri-amped. Audio Control 6 channel 30 band parametric EQ.
JL Audio 10" sub
lil goat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #24 (permalink)

Re: Front End Squeak

Don't really need them. It is quick and easy to do as is.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Enkei Ammodo Wheels
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!
Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #25 (permalink)

Sprayed with silicone this morning until I can get in there with some grease. Thanks!
Naus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #26 (permalink)

That will quiet the squeak but silicon is a drying agent and will ruin the rubber bushing, should happen very quickly but not a good idea to use silicone on rubber. The poly bushings recommend an none petroleum based lube, like Super Lube. The other advantage of poly bushings is they improve handling and road feel for a couple of bucks.
RMR Style Bar.
SSR Type C wheels, Nitto 555's
DDM Works PINK Breastplate, PRO Beam
HKS Coilovers
GXP Z0K rear sway bar with urethane bushings
Custom Jonymac glass wind screen, one of a kind.
Eclipse AVN726e; ZED Audio Leviathan, Image Dynamics tweeters, CTS door subs, active crossover tri-amped. Audio Control 6 channel 30 band parametric EQ.
JL Audio 10" sub
lil goat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.