GXP ? or C5 Corvette? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

GXP ? or C5 Corvette?

Guys:

I love my 2008 Solstice NA, but I'd like to have the acceleration of
a modest Corvette. Like a C5 with 350 to 400 hp.

So, is the stock GXP about the same in that regard ?

If it is I could just trade for a GXP.

I like the awesome 0 to 80 acceleration of the Vettes., and I imagine the GXP

is about the same.

So, GXP or modest Vette?

Also, should I get a manual transmission?

Thanks for any opinions....and ideas.....

Last edited by Dan Furr; 01-20-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Dan Furr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'd suggest the EXP. It's like an Enhanced GXP.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Old 01-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Dan, have you heard of Google? Wonderful tool where you can find exact facts from old road tests of just about any car you like, rather than relying on what the possibly faulty memories of others may tell you. Unless you just want to chat about the two cars, in which case why not just say that?

Take the less than one second required for that search - you'll find that a SBC C5 and a stock GXP have comparable performance.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes I looked at google, it said 5.5 seconds 0 to 60 I believe.

But they didn't mention if the thing felt like a vette, with the plastered to your seat

feeling.......

In the 60's I had a 1965 GTO that was like that.

I watched an early video of some guy driving a GXP and saying it needed another

100 hp. (?)

But I would think 260 hp might be plenty in a Solstice.

So ...... do you you think I need to keep Googling?

Or do you think some members here could help with Feelings, and Impressions ?

I'm thinking about testing one........ I just hate the process.

Last edited by Dan Furr; 01-20-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

A Vette or a GXP? For me it would be a difficult decision. The Corvette is an American icon and I would love to own one. Personally I think the Solstice is better looking and there were a lot fewer of them produced making it rarer.

Insurance is more expensive for a Corvette but parts will be easier to find as both cars age. Chevrolet is still in business Pontiac is not.

For $25000 you could buy a low mileage Solstice. Get a GMPP tune, a DDM probeam, backbone, and LV front brace which will give you plenty of power and great handling characteristics and still have money left over to spend on other modifications.

My first Solstice was a NA and I loved that car but the difference between it and my GXP is unbelievable. A quick 0 to 80 is easy, heck 0 to 100 is no problem. I can guarantee the car will at least do 142 mph.

Manual or Automatic? There is plenty of discussion about that subject on the Forum. Appears the automatic is quicker to accelerate but the manual is more fun to drive in the twisties.

Good luck! Not a bad decision to have to make, do I want a Corvette or a Solstice.
Jack19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Jack !

Good impressions........

And many are what I kind of suspected.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

manual c6 search locally idk what your price range is but i see most good gxps go for around 20k give or take i say throw an extra 5 grand at a c6, you can find them for around 25 ish
White hurst shift knob
Custom Rims size 18x8 and a 1/8th spacer in the front to clear the caliper
Blacked out grilles
Debadged
Blacked out arrows
Audio:
Some jvc radio thing
with single din storage
Kappasphere parts:
Kappa springs
Kappa luggage rack
On the way:
Home made WR
Front lip splitter
Tinted windows 5%
Backbone
Rebar
TURBO INCOMING
John_Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack19 View Post
A Vette or a GXP? For me it would be a difficult decision. The Corvette is an American icon and I would love to own one. Personally I think the Solstice is better looking and there were a lot fewer of them produced making it rarer.

Insurance is more expensive for a Corvette but parts will be easier to find as both cars age. Chevrolet is still in business Pontiac is not.

For $25000 you could buy a low mileage Solstice. Get a GMPP tune, a DDM probeam, backbone, and LV front brace which will give you plenty of power and great handling characteristics and still have money left over to spend on other modifications.

My first Solstice was a NA and I loved that car but the difference between it and my GXP is unbelievable. A quick 0 to 80 is easy, heck 0 to 100 is no problem. I can guarantee the car will at least do 142 mph.

Manual or Automatic? There is plenty of discussion about that subject on the Forum. Appears the automatic is quicker to accelerate but the manual is more fun to drive in the twisties.

Good luck! Not a bad decision to have to make, do I want a Corvette or a Solstice.
Agree get a GXP and add the GMPP tune plus some DDM suspension pieces and Solo exhaust and HiFLow CAT and it will throw you back in your seat. I have more power that I need. Manual would be my vote. I had an 85 Vette and am really happy with my GXP.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

GXP ? or C5 Corvette?

Agree with Northern sol and others on the GXP. Especially with some simple inexpensive tuning. Glad you brought it here for "discussion". That's what a forum is for beyond the stats. Thats what makes a forum a healthy, friendly place. This car turns heads and is a real eye catcher. As much as I love the vette (used to sell them back in the day) this car is a different experience.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Get a Sky Redline, then you will have something that has more similar lines to a Vette, as well as having the superior Saturn Technology.

I have a friend that owned a C5 Vette. He sold it when I purchased my Redline because I could easily walk on him. And that was before I put the GMPP tune on it. But I do live at 5000 ft above sea level. At this altitude the C5 is a dog. The standard C6 is at least better, because it has another 50 HP and Torque, but still pretty sluggish up here. And the Vette is a heavier car, so that doesn't help either. So for me, If I was going there it would be a ZR1. Of course that is a different price level.

What you really need to do is go test drive a C5 and a GXP for yourself. Any opinion you get on the forum will be biased. Kind of like going to a C5 forum and asking the same question; but the answer will be the opposite.

PS: Before my Redline, I had a 1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1 Convertible. It produced 510 lbs of torque. We got an 08 Redline for my wife. And she could completely stomp my Buick with her stock Redline. (that was when I decided it was time for a change for me as well) So a forced induction 260 lbs of torque car weighing less than 3000 lbs could easily walk on a naturally aspirated 510 lbs of torque car weighing 3800 lbs. This comparison done at 5000 feet above sea level. At sea level it would have been much closer, but I know my GMPP tuned Redline would still have beat the Buick.

Last edited by GS Stage 1; 01-20-2013 at 12:32 PM.
GS Stage 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

I had to make the same decision when I bought my GXP. I chose the Solstice because I don't see 3 or 4 of them every time I'm out of the house. Love the rarity of the car.

Drove the vette and the Solstice back to back in Vegas at a GM test drive and for me I found the Solstice more fun to throw around.
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
Sly Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Bob View Post
I had to make the same decision when I bought my GXP. I chose the Solstice because I don't see 3 or 4 of them every time I'm out of the house. Love the rarity of the car.

Drove the vette and the Solstice back to back in Vegas at a GM test drive and for me I found the Solstice more fun to throw around.
Everything is relative. Vettes ARE pretty common, but where I live KAPPAS of both varieties are very common sightings.
2009 Solstice Coupe. #868. Wicked, N/A, Auto, Two-Tone Leather. SOLD

2007 Lotus Exige S. Canyon Red.

1974 Lotus Europa Special Fully Restored
sandan03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Founding Member

He already owns a NA. Well then either go to any of the aftermarket vendors and strap a turbo or a S/C. If you do not have the suspension upgrades like the Backbone etc then add those and kiss the C5 good bye.
You are going to loose money in the trade so the upgrade is the way to go in MHOP.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have considered a Sky Redline........ and i've thought about a S/C for this NA.......

Who knows?

I've got 1 year to decide.

At that time I can play with some 401K money!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

sky RL or GXP will have same performance which was the OPs question. Either car can get an E47 (half E85 and half gas) tune from Trifecta and have over 300 to the rear wheels and easily run over stock C5/6 corvettes. I have that tune and have raced a C6 auto tuned with exhaust and ran over him from any speed. The backbone, probeam and LV front would help handling but not straightline speed much if any.

Personally I do not like the corvette stigma........
94 Bronco XLT, 5.8L, very rusty and 35s
07 GXP, Mean, manual-RIP 1Apr13 @14K miles
juspimpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.