GXP ? or C5 Corvette? - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Furr View Post
I have considered a Sky Redline........ and i've thought about a S/C for this NA.......

Who knows?

I've got 1 year to decide.

At that time I can play with some 401K money!
In that case spring for a new C7!
Texas2Gun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #17 (permalink)

C7........ IDK........how much will those cost?

Also.........what is the corvette stigma?
Dan Furr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 05:15 AM   #18 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
In my experience at local car shows the local clubs show up. Lets just say that the investment bankers and lawyers are not personalities I want to spend a lot of time with.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

Re: GXP ? or C5 Corvette?

I agree. Only reason to get the Vette is if you want a big car ir a status symbol. GXP rules!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Enkei Ammodo Wheels
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!
Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
Lets just say that the ....... lawyers are not personalities I want to spend a lot of time with.
Hey now!

What you say is true, and I note the same with Lamborghini owners. Corvettes are the Rolex of the V8 sports car world, bought by many with recognition in mind. But then the same could be said for the Kappas - how many times have you seen people post that they want people to notice them in the car? Of course the real inflated egos opt for the Vipers, not Corvettes.

The OP originally asked for performance numbers and I pointed him at Goggle, then he wanted comparisons from drivers that had driven a C5 and a Kappa and mostly got what people that had NOT driven both thought. I second the suggestion that if he really wants information and not just a chat, he has to get out there and drive a C5, as it is the only way he'll ever have any first hand idea of what it is all about.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #21 (permalink)

Well........... I spent 42 years in a Chemical Plant as an operator, and now,
a "resource". I can get along with most anybody.

My grandson (7 yrs old) got me into cars. I'll probably give him my car
some day.

Anyway......... I drove a vette, and loved the power, ( I was going 55, floored it and was doing 95 in 2 seconds!),but I do like the way the Kappas look.........and handle.

I NEED TO DRIVE A TURBO KAPPA..........

Later guys.........

Last edited by Dan Furr; 01-21-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Dan Furr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:

So, GXP or modest Vette?

Also, should I get a manual transmission?
This will be sacrilege to the forum, but go for the Vette. A person can go on-and-on comparing the technical specs of one against the other, so instead, imagine this: You're slow cruising down on the boulevard at the beach one day. Which one do you suppose will make the pedestrians stop and notice?
DeepEnder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #23 (permalink)

I have the best of both worlds, a Solstice with a 500+hp Corvette LS3 and Tremec 6speed stick. It can walk on most things I run into and can do severe damage to your spine if you get crazy!
06 SLY, LS3/480 V8, Tremec 6 speed, 3.23 positraction Getrag diff, custom stainless steel true dual exhaust system w/high flow cats, carbon fiber rear valance, red pc calipers, DDM Works Stage 1 brake upgrade, garage door opener, custom fuse box cover, Red anodized engine covers, DDM Works console, Lambo doors, clear bra, DDM Works red racing backbone, DDM Works red pro beam, twin horns, Opel GT radio antenna, upgraded tires, conv top cover, de-badged, chrome rings around A/C controls
cooper1340s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:

I NEED TO DRIVE A TURBO KAPPA..........
If possible, find one with a tune on it as well. Even just the GMPP tune makes a huge difference. 80 more lbs of torque makes it a different car. The 60 to 100 is just plain fun. This is running at 340 lbs of torque in a car that weighs just 2940 lbs; and peak torque hits at 3600 RPM. For comparison: That C5 you test drove (assuming it was at least 2001 model) pushes 360 lbs of torque in a car that weighs 3200 lbs. The pre-2001 C5 only put out 350 lbs of torque. And peak torque for the Vette doesn't hit till 4400 RPM. With the boosted and tuned Kappa, the fun power kicks in quicker.

For the record: I have driven about every fricken performance car ever built, including many Corvettes in all available body styles, except the new C7. The C5 is not a bad ride, but it is a dog. You really need to drive a C6. For the difference in cost, it is well worth it. Or find a C5 ZO6 (2001-2004 had an LS6 engine cranked up to 400 lbs of torque) For me, the Vette isn't fun until you hit 400 lbs of torque. And that is assuming I am driving down at sea level. Where I live, that 400 lbs turns into only about 320, so it still sucks. But if you are going with the Vette, stick with something pushing at least 400 lbs of torque.

Personally: My favorite Vette was the C3. The thing was a rattle trap and quite honestly a POS. But man you could get it with about any big block GM made at the time. It was a lot of fricken fun and it had a kick ass look to it. I almost bought another one for my wife, back when she decided to go for the Sky Redline instead. It was a 1969 convertible with a 427 and a 4 speed. I never even drove it myself, because I knew I would want to buy it. Tossed the keys to the wife and said go see what you think. She came back about 1/2 hour later with a big grin on her face. She said "this thing is just nasty fast, it is like your GS". I offered to buy it right there, but she hadn't had a chance to drive the turbo Sky yet; so she waited. A couple months later we finally got a turbo Sky in town. She drove it for 5 minutes, came back and said "I want it, but it has to be the color and options I want". Took my salesman another 4 months to get the one she wanted shipped into town.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepEnder View Post
This will be sacrilege to the forum, but go for the Vette. A person can go on-and-on comparing the technical specs of one against the other, so instead, imagine this: You're slow cruising down on the boulevard at the beach one day. Which one do you suppose will make the pedestrians stop and notice?
I won't say anything bad about a Corvette but I feel certain the Solstice would turn as many heads as the Vette, if not more.
Jack19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #26 (permalink)

I test drove a C5 vette before buying the GXP and I'm very happy with the decision i made man GXP all the way
shadowsonic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack19 View Post
I won't say anything bad about a Corvette but I feel certain the Solstice would turn as many heads as the Vette, if not more.
I see the vette as being the ego stroker. Everybody knows about the corvette as you proudly proclaim "I HAVE ONE".

Not too many people know about the solstice/sky, certiainly not the coupe, that's been the interesting part for me. They aren't interested in me, they want to know what the car is. Most say it's beautiful, some don't like it or rattle off some article they read trashing the car. But the CAR gets noticed, and occasionally by someone that knows something about Pontiacs....

Then of course there is the discussion already stated about how a GXP with tune and a few other easy goodies can make for a plenty fast, plenty good handling car that also can still get GREAT mileage. It certainly can be a sleeper with a few good little mods, and if people think they will take it like they just did that Miata, well....
'09 Solstice GXP Coupe #492, Mysterious, Auto, 5901 miles.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM 3/8 Performance backbone
DDM Probeam
DDM Catch can, Tclamps and fender trim kit.
GM Accessories incl. race pedals, rocker panel clear protective tape, console storage bag, and soft targa top.

'95 Bronco, owned 18yrs, totally custom on 37's, my DD
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628
'11 Subaru Forrester, wifes DD.

Last edited by Shadofax; 01-21-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepEnder View Post

THE SOLSTICE!!!! I've owned both the Corvette and the Solstice - and the Soltice is the center of attention far more often than the Vette ever was.
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #29 (permalink)

Is that what its all about for everyone? They buy these cars as ego boosters - they want to be noticed and admired? Is everyone as insecure as that attirude makes it seem, making car buying decisions intended solely to court the admiration of others?

Pretty sad if that's true. I couldn't give a damn whether a car I own is admired or laughed at, I don't own them for anyone but myself and the only thing that matters is if I enjoy them.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #30 (permalink)

Actually, wspohn, I don't think anyone on this forum bought our cars as ego boosters. We bought them because they are simply wonderful cars. They are beautiful and well worth the money. Quite frankly, though, your current fleet is made up of several ego boosters. Just sayin'.
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.