GXP ? or C5 Corvette? - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #31 (permalink)

GXP ? or C5 Corvette?

I agree with Celeste in that I bought mine because it was fun as heck, had a nice helpful group on this forum, and had a few more creature comforts and better possibility of service than the Lotus Elise which I also love. Every comment of adoration I try to use to educate the masses on this car. It's like everyone telling you that your wife is awesome/smart/pretty etc. (which I get often). I can't help but feel honored and humbled to be so blessed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
Quite frankly, though, your current fleet is made up of several ego boosters. Just sayin'.
Pardon me if I laugh. Most of my cars are not even familiar to most enthusiasts, much less the general public. Old British stuff no one has ever heard of, plastic kit car MG, a couple of other MGs that didn't make the grade to popularity, a brown Lambo no one knows, another Pontiac generally considered a failure,......the absolute antithesis of a collection designed to make anyone say anything except 'What is that again?'

Not a Corvette or a Ferrari among the bunch, just cars that I have found I enjoy and have kept (some for over 40 years).
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #33 (permalink)

I would look for a nice c6 to snag up. Some garage queen with a rich dude who wants a new c7. It's sad to say this but it'd be nice to have the extra luggage space of a c6. 4 more cylinders, higher quality car.
Naus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #34 (permalink)
Founding Member

4 more cylinders does not make the car better.
Our car with a few modest handling upgrades can hang with the best of the bunch out there.
Prove of that has been made a few times already.
As far as higher quality the Vett is not much different than ours.
Again a few modest interior mods and it changes the interior look and feel.
I purchased the original car because of the beauty of the design, which I think will be remember for a long time.
Then the GXP came along and the car was transform both in handling and performance for a fair price in my opinion.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~

Last edited by LatinVenom; 01-29-2013 at 03:48 PM.
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Pardon me if I laugh. Most of my cars are not even familiar to most enthusiasts, much less the general public. Old British stuff no one has ever heard of, plastic kit car MG, a couple of other MGs that didn't make the grade to popularity, a brown Lambo no one knows, another Pontiac generally considered a failure,......the absolute antithesis of a collection designed to make anyone say anything except 'What is that again?'

Not a Corvette or a Ferrari among the bunch, just cars that I have found I enjoy and have kept (some for over 40 years).
Maybe, but don't you get just the tiniest swell of chest when someone says, "Hey! Nice Car!!" about your Solstice? C'mon . . . fess up!
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #36 (permalink)

GXP or C5 ?

Would definitely go with the GXP.

For butt-dyno information you should probably drive each yourself.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
Maybe, but don't you get just the tiniest swell of chest when someone says, "Hey! Nice Car!!" about your Solstice? C'mon . . . fess up!
Is it pleasant if someone shares my taste in cars and thinks one of mine is nice? Yeah, I guess so as it gives you something to talk about with a fellow car enthusiast. But if they don't like the car, that doesn't bother me at all either - I own them all for me and no one else and I don't really care what anyone else thinks about them as long as I still get pleasure from them.

I know that isn't the normal attitude, but it happens to be mine.

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that everyone chose to search out cars to own that would enhance their standing in the eyes of their peers, I simply said that I didn't regard that as a very healthy reason for choosing a car, yet it is one that many people here (and elsewhere) have given for owning a particular car.

In my view, when someone else's opinion matters more than your own, you are dealing with a character flaw and lack self confidence among other things. Not making a big deal out of it, just commenting. I hope that not all of the people that seem to be motivated by that really are.

Hey, LV - i agree - I regard the number of cylinders a car has as irrelevant - it is what it does with them that counts, and the Solstice does vey well indeed. I don't subscribe to the very common V8 worship - I don't really care what engine a car has (I own 4, 6, V6, V8 and V12 myself) but I care very much how it makes the car perform.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
Old 01-30-2013, 05:25 AM   #38 (permalink)

Be nice to know what the OP ever decides.
I agree with WS...to a point. Some vehicles seem to command instant respect while others do not. Point being, there's a point where it get tiring to always be made to feel like you have to defend your choice.
ChopTop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Be nice to know what the OP ever decides.
If I were him I'd probably get a GXP and try it out for a year or two - long enough that if I decided that the Vette suited me better, there would be cars coming off lease and available and I wouldn't have to drop a wad to buy new.

I have seen several statements from people that have seen the Corvette that you have to see it in person to properly assess it, and that pictures don't give you the full impression, so I'll keep an open mind on that score until I get around to having a close look at one myself.

Checking with GM Canada, I see that my local dealer has 4 C6 cars, although they seem to be stuck on ordering nothing but white or black....wonder how well they'll sell when everyone will be waiting for the C7?

The Canadian prices for the C6 range from $61,000 to $130,000! Maybe I should revise that time frame for used C7s to become 'affordable'.....when they arrive I expect they'll step up a bit in price from the existing C6 stock.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
Old 01-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #40 (permalink)

I have a big enough ego that I don't have to choose a car to inflate my self esteem. I know the truth.

The Solstice chose ME to make IT look better.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post
I have a big enough ego that I don't have to choose a car to inflate my self esteem. I know the truth.

Oh Snap! :
ChopTop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post

EXCELLENT!!!!
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #43 (permalink)

As the owner of a 08 Kappa Sly Roadster(NA), and a former owner of a 09 Kappa Mysterious Coupe(NA), and also a 11 Corvette Supersonic Blue Grand Sport.

I think the comparisons made about being "noticed" in either one is kinda funny.

The most asked question I have gotten on either of the Kappa's... "Is that a Baby Vette?"
Old 02-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #44 (permalink)

I'm sorta in a similar position as the OP. I joined this forum in 2010, when I decided to replace my ricer with something more enjoyable. Since I was a kid, I've been passionate about Corvettes. Then came the Solstice & my heart skips a beat when I see one. I decided to purchase a Challenger R/T though, because neither the Corvette or Solstice are practical daily cars. I'm interested in a second Spring/Summer vehicle now & once again I'm torn between my original two choices. I love the 'gran turismo' of the Corvette; it's a true sports car. On the other hand, I feel that long term, the Solstice will be more fun to drive & much less expensive to own, both in price & maintenance/repairs. At this point, I'm fairly certain it'll be a Solstice, but I can relate with the OP's indecision.
athelite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #45 (permalink)

For those of you trying to decide on Corvette or Solstice.... Let me give you my experience thus far. I purchased my baby in late September. It's a GXP, has a high flow cat, solo street race exhaust (no muffler), CAI (which does nothing but multiply the sound of our integral BOV) and a tune. I'm pushing somewhere between 305-320hp..... The car is like nothing I've EVER driven. 0-60 in 5 sec. I've had a Mustang and Camaro, and nothing even comes close to this vehicle! If its HP you want, get an aftermarket turbo, do a little engine work and you'll be around 400hp for a cool $25k!!! I've driven a 500+hp Mustang and it didn't throw me back in the seat like my little rocket ship does! There's just something about a 4 cyl putting out over 300hp! It's a special sensation.....one that still gives me goosebumps when I matte the gas and hear the turbo spool!!! You won't be sorry.....
The_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.