Had a Strange issue yesterday - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Had a Strange issue yesterday

Well it started shortly after I bounced the 6.0 LS off the rev limiter on a bad 2-3 shift on the way to lunch, no issues on the short drive to lunch, but when I went to start the car to go back to work it would not turn over, and the Check Engine Light was on. The weirdness started when I left the ignition switch in run, and moved the steering wheel left & right a couple of times with the clutch pedal engaged the car started without moving the ignition switch to start!
The engine ran fine on the way back to work but the CE light was still on. The a few hours later when I went to leave work the car would not turn over again, no amount of turning the steering wheel this time had any effect. I had a couple of coworkers handy to push start the car, started up with the CE Light on, no other lights on. Drove home with no issues, and seemed to run fine.
I then tried to hook up my old OBD-2 code checker it would power up, but when I tried to scan the codes it kept coming up with "can not connect to car" "check connections and try again" this scanner worked with my 1997 Firebird, & 1999 Grand prix. But may not me compatible with the Solstice?

Well the car started normally after I arrived home, with the CE light on. So in frustration I pulled the battery Positive cable, that reset the CE light, the car now starts & drives Normally with no CE light. The car is a Mallet converted LS2, with a Ken Kelly Tune. I have 2 questions

(1) Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

(2) What scan tools are you using? Any suggestions on a new one?

Any suggestions always welcome

Certified Pontaholic & Former Jet Mech

1969 Firebird Sprint 301 OHC-6, T-5
1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer 455
1973 Lemans Safari 400 4-speed
1977 Astre Formula 215 V-8 T-5
1978 Sunbird Safari 231 V-6 2004R
1978 Catalina Safari Buick 350 4bb
2006 Mallet Solstice LS2 5-speed Manual
2009 G8 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:50 AM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to HotScott
You have to see what years your OBDII scanner works for and if it can be updated (online with software). Some of the newer ones like I have can be. But I have an LS3 conversion with the Ken Kelly Tune. I know the scanner I have can read all the codes and abs codes if need be. (Since I have ABS on my car). I got mine from harbor Frieght for like $169 dollars. It is a Centech model. Its been good for reading and some very minor diagnostics. Can't say I experience what you have, but I have had some of my own strange experiences that I working to debug. One is related to the ABS model. I working to get that switched out to see if that helps. But the key thing is to find out the code if it ever happens again.

•Werks Tune
•Tunnel Brace
•35% Tinted windows
•Performance Werks V8 525hp Conversion
•T-56 6 Speed Manual Transmission
•Spec 2+ Clutch
•Custom Dual Exhaust
•BC Racing Coilovers
•Rear Brace
•A/C and Cruise
•Forgestar F14 wheels and Pilot Sport tires
•Pioneer AVH-4200NEX
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 07:27 AM

It sounds like you have a problem with the ignition switch and its steering wheel lock. Has the ignition switch replacement been done?

When you engage the starter you can release the key to the run position and the engine will crank until it starts or for some set length of time. If the run contact was not made, but the start contact was, the timer circuit may have latched in waiting for the run circuit to supply power. If you had waited a few more seconds the timer may have timed out and not allowed it to "self-start".

I have had trouble with some OBDII devices not working with the Sky when I first got it. As I recall, the CAN protocol was first used by GM just as the Kappa was introduced, and some things were not compatible. I use a DashDAQ and a TechII, both newer than the car.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky VIN 00252 Manual Midnight Blue
Sky Redline 2008 Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/

Last edited by JohnWR; 04-13-2017 at 07:41 AM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the responses, yes the ignition switch recall was done in November 2016, looks like I may have to do some research to see if my scanner is CAN protocol compatable or not. If not looks like I am buying a new scan tool, I need to get one for our 2009 G8, and 2012 F-150 anyway.

2009 G8 GT
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 08:19 AM

If the scanner is pre-2006 you will almost certainly need a new one. The switch to CAN, in addition to changing the software, also changed the hardware, and additional (or maybe different) connector pins are now used.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky VIN 00252 Manual Midnight Blue
Sky Redline 2008 Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:26 PM

If you are experiencing an electrical problem it would be best to have a known good battery, clean battery clamps, and tight, corrosion free ground connections. Doing this appears to solve many electrical issues reported in this forum.

Tim.

WanderingSol
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Battery is new AC Delco in Feb, no corrosion on terminals, but thanks for the thought.

2009 G8 GT
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:34 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Early on I had a problem with Punisher where it shut down and displayed the a message that the temperature inputs did not agree and the car could not determine what the temperature was so it was shutting down as a precaution. I pulled the battery cable and reset it. That was 5? years ago and it has never reoccurred. The car starts and runs normally.

I think its the spirits that come with the Ken Kelly tunes.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 48 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
Early on I had a problem with Punisher where it shut down and displayed the a message that the temperature inputs did not agree and the car could not determine what the temperature was so it was shutting down as a precaution. I pulled the battery cable and reset it. That was 5? years ago and it has never reoccurred. The car starts and runs normally.

I think its the spirits that come with the Ken Kelly tunes.
Rob you may have something there! LOL!!!!!

Good news is after receiving my new OBDII Code reader I was able to connect to the car, found no stored or current codes, and the strange no start issue or the Check Engine light has not reoccurred. Fingers crossed it was just an infrequent glitz.

2009 G8 GT
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well the no Start condition (starter not turning over) has reappeared a couple of times, and I have now noticed it only happens when the car is hot. But only a few times. I am suspecting the starter is on the way out.

Question for V8 Kappa owners, what brand P/N Starter do you have? Any advice welcome. I do plan on taking the starter off, and inspecting the wiring and conections before ordering a new one.

2009 G8 GT
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:01 PM
Founding Member

I've occasionally had an issue with no-start. Turn the key and nothing happens ... no clicking or anything. In my case, I've found that jiggling the stick shift left and right firmly a couple times takes care of it. I suspect neutral safety switch or something like that, but haven't dug further since it's only occasional and banging the shifter back and forth resolves it. I think I also saw that some users had a similar issue some time ago and a flaky connection on a relay or circuit board under the dash was at fault if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Did a little searching and refreshed my memory a bit ... I think it was an issue with the harness connector to the BCM that caused a similar issue. Below is a thread where it was first discussed, but I keep thinking there was another thread where others had the problem and narrowed down the connection issue more specifically. Hopefully you get lucky and it just takes a little jiggling like mine.

ECOTEC Computer Problems- A Must-read !!!

Also, if you just need a quick code read until you get a reader update, most any of the big chain auto parts stores will do it for free these days.

Last edited by SlySol; 05-18-2017 at 10:46 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the link, I did buy a new code reader, and there are no stored codes. I did try cycling both the clutch pedal, and wiggling the shifter several times. The only thing that seems to do it is to let the car sit for about an hour, cool off then it starts.

2009 G8 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode