Harmful Gas? - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

I use to haul fuel last summer to Quick trip on a dedicated account.I learned a few things about fuel,before going back to dry van driving.
All fuel is piped in through the same lines,and split up to different loading racks.
Drivers are sent to load up,and they enter different access codes that recieve the particular blends for each station they drive for.
The probability for contaminated fuel was shocking.If for instance you hauled diesel on your last load,you ran your premium load through those hoses,and tanks on your trailer on the following load.This is how the tank,and hoses get cleaned of diesel.
Each drop spot(premium,regular,mid grade) also has a pull chain that we pull that dumps excess water/trash/cigarette butts from drop spots on top of the gas,when rain fills it.
Drivers are required to apply a paste that detects water,and stick each tank,before dropping fuel.Anything over 3 inches of water was "supposed" to be pumped out.
Cross drops did occour.When a driver hooks up 87 to a 93 grade tank for instance,and starts dumping,thats is whats known as a cross drop.
Tanks are also cleaned twice a year.By cleaned,I mean they are ran almost empty.All water and trash are sitting on the bottom,and we get whatever the tanks filters miss.(Memorial day weekend)
One last one I remembered that disturbed me most..
Example>>You start your 12 hr shift,and the driver before you may have been in a hurry.He fails to completely empty all diesel from last load.Your sent to load up,and dump regular,or premium on top of this,and deliver it to your customer.
Drivers are supposed to check that all compartments are empty,before loading,but when you get paid ( poorly) by the load guys sometimes overlook it.
Saw that one happen^^
I also stay faar away from mom and pop stations that sale minimal fuel..
CONNER98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to duckSol
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaVerde View Post
... the consumer, getting all the business in the END.
Don't you mean the customer is getting it in the business end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONNER98 View Post
Each drop spot(premium,regular,mid grade) also has a pull chain that we pull that dumps excess water/trash/cigarette butts from drop spots on top of the gas,when rain fills it.
I remembered that disturbed me most...

Like I sed, the Dirty Duck prefers Kum and Go out here in these western parts.

2012 Summer Solstice in the Land of Sky

duckSol's Mods revised 12/21/2008

duckSols Mods revised 9-4-09

Transformer SLY

"Okolemaluna"
duckSol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckSol View Post

Like I sed, I sniff Dirty Duck farts out here in these western parts.

What??
CONNER98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LiquidPT Send a message via MSN to LiquidPT
Quote:

Like I sed, the Dirty Duck prefers Kum and Go out here in these western parts.
I think you mean the middle parts. No such thing in the Pacific and some of the Mountain time zones
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
LiquidPT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

Item that popped out to me was the "phase separation" issue.. Since ethanol is heavier than gasoline is there some mechanical device in the flex-fuel vehicles tanks that automatically mixes the alternate fuel before fed into the fuel delivery system?

The gasoline underground storage tanks don't concern me since the report indicated the ethanol is introduced (or mixed) in with gas at the pump. Future issues may be if ethanol is so much more corrosive are underground storage tanks certified, or be engineered to hold ethanol?

Old-timers will remember when non-leaded gasoline was first introduced and reports of piston ring failure began surfacing for some engines, especially higher compression engines to the point where compatible non-lead piston rings replacements started being produced and offered before ring (or cylinder wall damage) could occur.

Last edited by ChopTop; 01-02-2013 at 01:26 PM.
ChopTop is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

The children now "running" the EPA are shooting before they aim and have no idea of the damage to the infrastructure of the country they are causing. Assuming they care.
Oh yeah, Steel/Sand interior. Added K&N filter. Vent tube r/r @ 2850 mi. WindRestrictor added 12/12/06. Added high-tone horn. Painted engine cover. ECM retune 6/15/10. Added Vandesign B/U lite covers 12/07. Re-replaced seal due to recall 27570 mi. DDMProBeam added 7/2/08. Envious Emblem overlays. Kappasphere rear deck rack. DDM tunnel plate added 4/22/09. Solo Exhaust system, lit sills and HID conversion 5/1/10.
BellaVerde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #22 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to duckSol
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidPT View Post
I think you mean the middle parts. No such thing in the Pacific and some of the Mountain time zones
If you are talking about the stations, I am on Mountain Time right now and passed several of these stations today. Depends on where you are.
Kum & Go exercises a bit better quality control and that is the reason for my comment.

The EPA, IMHO would love to regulate a fart in a whirlwind if they could find it.

2012 Summer Solstice in the Land of Sky

duckSol's Mods revised 12/21/2008

duckSols Mods revised 9-4-09

Transformer SLY

"Okolemaluna"
duckSol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #23 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LiquidPT Send a message via MSN to LiquidPT
Quote:
If you are talking about the stations, I am on Mountain Time right now and passed several of these stations today. Depends on where you are.
Kum & Go exercises a bit better quality control and that is the reason for my comment.

The EPA, IMHO would love to regulate a fart in a whirlwind if they could find it.
I said "some" of Mountain. There are none in WA, OR, CA, ID, NV, UT, or AZ. Those are the westernmost continental states.
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100

Last edited by LiquidPT; 01-03-2013 at 10:54 PM.
LiquidPT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:

Kum & Go exercises a bit better quality control.
True; but there is something to be said about taking one's time, as well.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.