HIT & RUN by uninsured motorist! - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

HIT & RUN by uninsured motorist!

So the other day while on my way home from work, an idiot in black dodge ram pickup just decided to change lanes while I was at a stop light and run right into my driver's side door. I told him to pull over so we could exchange info and he agreed. Then when we did, and I got out of my vehicle and approached his truck, he took off. I ran back to my car and went after him. Stupid guy thought he could out run my turbo, yeah right! I caught up with him at the next light, he then ran the red light. I waited for it to turn green and went after him for 2 more blocks trying to get his plate number, then he slammed on his brakes trying to make me run into the back of him. He then took a sharp right into a dead end street. I soon caught up with him again and was able to get his complete plate number with my iphone. He then peeled out into a 180 and sped away. That was fine with me because all I wanted was his plate number. The guy was clearly crazy. I called the police and filled a hit and run report. He damaged my driver's side door outer skin and it also needs to be re-aligned. He also dented in part of my fender. No other damage to the hood or any other part of the car. I guess it could have been worse.

Now my question is does anyone have any experience with filling a claim with their insurance company and will it make my insurance go up, even though I am not at fault? Or will it go up regardless? I tried calling my insurance company and asking the same question before filling the claim, but they said they could not tell me at all if my rates would increase. I find that hard to believe.

The door being fixed is my main concern. I was planning on switching out the fender with a vented fiberglass one anyway. Maybe one of Norms. I just hate driving around a jacked up car. I've only had my GXP since late August.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/357322/my-...?from=fb_share

Last edited by RedDevil; 11-15-2012 at 08:07 PM.
RedDevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Good luck.

So, you got a police report back showing the truck driver was uninsured?

If so your choice to pay for it out of pocket or file a claim.
Would give that data to your ins co and let them take it from there.
Your rate will likely go up some but not as much as if you were at fault.

Oh, and unless you were CCW carrying . . .
you were "brave" to follow that fool down that one way street.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaKadet View Post
Oh, and unless you were CCW carrying . . .
you were "brave" to follow that fool down that one way street.
Police are still investigating and tracking him down. I have a hit & run report. It says they will contact me after the investigation is over.

By the way, neither of us knew the the street was going to dead end. There was no sign. It was obvious he did not know where he was going, he was just trying to get away from me. I just wanted the plate number, after that I did not care where he went.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

You have to be flippin kidding me! That is your new car! Have you checked ebay? There was a place selling factory painted doors a few months ago for 500. Is Texas still a no fault state for auto insurance?
As an insurance agent in CA I can tell you if you file a claim with your company and they are not able to surrogate against the guy that hit you, then yes they can raise your rates, but it depends p.s the company. I can almost guarantee that Farmers would raise your rates, where as Triple A, if you have a clean record would not.
06CoolSolstice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

No experience with hit and run. Michigan is no-fault so I would just need the police report.

Are you dealing with an insurance "company" or an "agent". My agent has always been very forthright in telling me what to expect before I file a claim. He's also been very helpful to me in keeping rates down - both home and auto. Granted I haven't made many claims at all, but it's worth a few extra bucks a month to have that kind of support.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ask your agent if claims history plays a part in determining your rates, regardless if you're at fault or not.
2006/#482/First 1,000/Triple Blk/2.4 Manual/BCCoilovers/JPM Shifter (classic white w/black 5spd pattern)

2009/#480/GXP of 1266 Targa Coupes/Aggressive/Silver Metallic Stripe/Auto/Optional Polished Split Spokes/GMPP/Solo Mach Shorty/Norms Front GXP Splitter/BCCoilovers/DDM Backbeam & Probeam

LowLife handle simply means likes lowered cars
LowLife1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Be sure to keep in touch with the police. I've two hit and run situations in parking lots. Both times, witnesses let me know license numbers. The first time, I filed the police report and filed with my insurance company. I even had a call from the guy's dad begging me to try to work out something. His son was just back from Nam with no license and no insurance. My company paid. I later learned that the guy was arrested, charged, and eventually fined. The police didn't ever notify me. They got their fine and I got nothing.

The second time, I let my insurance company know in case I would have to file, called the police, and kept calling them every day or two until the guilty party paid me in cash.
GrandpaSolstice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

i hope you get it taken care of. Some people make me sick
BlueMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

About 10 years ago, I had a hit and walk. The guy rear ended my at a light. We both pulled over. He only wanted to exchange insurance info but my son was a baby at the time, in the back seat, and screaming. He appeared OK but I wanted the cops to come in case he wasn't. When I told him this, he said OK but that he had to go to the store we were in front of to call his boss (cell phones were not as common then) to let him know he would be late. Sounds reasonable, he is leaving his car behind, right? He never came back and when the cops came, they found the car was stolen. Liberty Mutual covered it with no complaints and no increases. Oh, and my son was fine.

While my temper might end up with me following someone as you did, I hope my head would stop me. Too many folks around here with guns that give a hoot about killing people.
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Enkei Ammodo Wheels
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!
Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

mine didn't go up when my wife drove it into our landlords house, $3700 + in damages
Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Glad you are OK !!! ... Keep us informed.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Anyone know of a FREE license plate back ground checking service? All the once I found charge a fee even though they are listed as being free. By the way the plate number is: Texas AA25036

If there are any police officers from texas on this forum that can tell me if this guy has insurance or not, please let me know. I forgot to ask the officer when he found a match. He told me they would be contacting me once the investigation was over. But I would like to know in advanced if this guy had insurance or if he was running for some other reason.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Anyone know of a FREE license plate back ground checking service? All the once I found charge a fee even though they are listed as being free. By the way the plate number is: Texas AA25036

If there are any police officers from texas on this forum that can tell me if this guy has insurance or not, please let me know. I forgot to ask the officer when he found a match. He told me they would be contacting me once the investigation was over. But I would like to know in advanced if this guy had insurance or if he was running for some other reason.
I wouldn't worry to much about it . . . I think the police will inform you eventually. The important part is that you got the license plate. With an investigation, odds are they'll find/see it with damage. And regardless of whether he had insurance or not, you're insurance will take care of it as a no-fault.

But glad it sounds like things are working out.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Sky View Post
I wouldn't worry to much about it . . . I think the police will inform you eventually. The important part is that you got the license plate. With an investigation, odds are they'll find/see it with damage. And regardless of whether he had insurance or not, you're insurance will take care of it as a no-fault.

But glad it sounds like things are working out.
Does Texas have a no-fault coverage for hit & run? The police gave me a case number for my insurance which I passed onto them, but my insurance company told me to wait a few days and see what the investigation turns up. I hate all this waiting.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

First of all, contact a good attorney. I work for a lawyer in Tennessee who does this type of work and a good attorney can work for you to take care of this situation. The attorney can sue the @*(#& out of this guy and attach his property. Go after the SOB, but let the attorney do the work for you. You should be able to secure an attorney on a contingency fee basis, meaning the attorney will collect his fee upon settlement of your case, but you will most likely have to cover the costs of the case such as copies, postage, etc., as they occur. Good luck!!! And keep us all informed. So sad about your baby.
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.