Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

How much does it weigh?

20K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  WanderingSol07 
#1 ·
Out of curiosity I was looking up specs on the Solstice. Yes I already have one and love it. How much (average) does the Solstice weigh?

I received my MD tags yesterday and they put it at 3700 pounds. MSN Autos and Edmunds says around 2800 pounds. Huge difference there. Who is right?

#3 ·
Thank you!

#4 ·
We have stronger gravity in MD! :lol:

#6 · (Edited)
My GXP was built in 2007 and according to the VIN door plate it weighs 3500 LBs. that seems really heavy to me.

The Pontiac web site has the 2009 GXP weighin in at 2988 for the auto and 2976 for the 5 Manual trans

#8 ·
My GXP is 2850. 3285 fully occupied. 85 for fuel.

Maxed out with 25 pounds of luggage and my camera bag, (10 lb.),
my wife and I hit the road at 3405.

No way a Sol is 3700 or 3900 pounds.

If you look in the door panel, there is a restriction on combined passenger/cargo load of 450 lb. That's 3300 before fuel.

#9 ·
LOL, I'm just glad my car doesn't weigh 3700 then. I think if I remember looking at the door panel once and saw it say a weight over 3000+ like Odiaz saw. So the combination of that and the tag information from MD had me wondering.

It could all be curb versus gross as well that had me confused. Appreciate the replies.

#12 · (Edited)
From my brief research, Maryland is probably cheating you a bit to pad their money just a bit.

Your Solstice "curb weight" without passengers or gas in the tank, is rated at 2,860 lbs.

The door sticker is the GVWR or "gross vehicle weight rating" and includes you, the passenge, a full gas tank and a full trunk. I'm not sure if this is the typical amount expected with people, gas and things, or if this is the maximum recommended amount with people, gas and things.

Either way, I am going to guess that the State of Maryland uses the GVWR for the weight classes it uses to charge you for your vehicle fees.

Assuming that, the GVWR of a Solstice GXP is under 3,500 lbs according to people posting here. I haven't checked the sticker on my 2008 GXP, but I will tonight out of curiosity. For all I know, different year cars may have different ratings due to increased standard content over the years.

That said, the non-turbo roadster may have a GVWR less than the GXP. I have no clue.

Maryland seems to have a weight class under 3,500 lbs and a weight class under 3,700 pounds. By callingyour car 3,700 lbs, it sounds like you are 2 weight classes high, because you should be in the under 3,500 lbs weight class, rather than the 3,700+ lb class. Then again, I live in California and have spent a total of 5 days in the State of MD, so WTHDIK? :crazy:

If you are concerned, you could bring your car to the Maryland DMV and tell them to look at the GVWR tag on your car and make them lower your weight class...

The actual weight of your car is going to be well under 3,000 lbs and probably something under 2,900 lbs, unless you own a GXP, than add 100.

#13 ·
GVWR includes all contents and trailer tongue weight.

It's maximum allowable loaded weight of the vehicle on it's 4 wheels. Exceed this rating and the authorities can poo poo on your parade.

#14 ·
My 2008 GXP has gross vehicle weight rating of 3,495. The state of MD appears to be putting your car in a higher weight class for the extra $50 a year they can charge you.

#15 ·
I'm definitely going to research this further then. Because yeah, at the moment it looks like I'm paying for the 3700 weight! Thanks for pointing that out :)

#30 ·
Looks like GVWR is individually dependent upon the variables that go into its construction. Some are almost neutral (3499/1774/1725); others slide around (3495-1780F-1715R); (3495-1784F-1711R); (3491/1784/1707): whatever options you put on the car change the ratio of its weight depending where on the body they go. Every pound has a pound's influence, & must be accounted for when stamping out those tags at the factory. Try one configured for maximum lightness vs. one configured for luxury. Massive difference between the two.

The key, I guess, is to figure out how much of the cockpit weight goes onto each axle with both full & empty gas tanks, and adjust your car to the way you drive. Do you usually hover between full & half tank? Balance probably better, though heavier. C&D says the car tends naturally toward a bit of understeer, but with what options & fuel levels I don't remember. Do you deliberately drive between half-tank & E to save fuel &/or hoon a bit? The car's obviously lighter this way, but the rear end'll be a bit twitchier, & you'll need to hone your oversteer skills. (You can guess which I prefer...)

#16 ·
You are welcome.

#17 ·
I finally got my NY state title in the mail today, and was shocked to see that it lists my Sol's weight as 3479! I searched this forum and found this thread, then did some more 'research'.

My title lists the Sol's weight as 3479 (lbs I presume, but it doesn't specify units). This exactly matches the GVWR printed on my door jam. However...

My 2008 RAV4 (V6 with 3rd row seats) is listed as weighing 3569 on the NYS title, only a supermodel heavier than the Sol. But it's GVWR as 5015.

What's going on here? This just seems messed up...

#18 ·
The actual car weight is below 3000, I believe is either 2860 or 2895.

#21 ·
had my Redline on a roadside self scale ........weighed in at 1380kgs......x2.2 for pounds it works out to around 3040lbs....that includes a full tank of gas if I remember correctly.

#23 ·
Mine was 3025 when I corner weighted it with the heavier ZOK sway bars and some frame braces. It's a coupe and had pretty much a full tank of fuel.

#24 ·
I think you are missing something. In MD, the vehicle tax rate changes at 3700lbs. On your tag sheet you are probably seeing "-3700" (i.e. BELOW 3700lbs), not the actual weight. Don't panic, this is normal.

#25 ·
Hmm, never seen car GVWR considered for plates, even the highest limit for a car is much less than a pickup. Here in IN it is possible to get car plates for your pickup, as long as it is a private, (non business) vehicle. Otherwise you get a commercial plate if it is for a business. Pickup/truck plates come in many different weight restrictions (GVWR based), figuring the more you can carry, the more road wear, the more you should pay.

#27 ·
Looks like in NJ the registration weight class is determined by the vehicle shipping weight as listed on the vehicle title:

*The weight class of the vehicle is determined by information contained in the manufacturer's statement of origin (If not defined here, the following resources will be used):
The application for renewal of registration
The Branham Reference Book
MVC's weight class manual
If the manufacturer's shipping weight is disputable or unavailable, the applicant may be required to have the car weighed on a certified scale under Title 39:3-8. This weight will be considered the manufacturer's shipping weight.

Customer should be advised to have weight on the title corrected by contacting:

Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 141
225 East State Street
Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0141

#29 ·
3502.4 pounds.

#31 ·
to save fuel &/or hoon a bit?

Wuz dat mean?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.