Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Leather seats get too hot - is there a good solution?

49K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  ceejay 
#1 ·
After driving in the heat my back gets too sweaty with the leather seats - I personally like cloth seats and that's what I've always had. Is there something that is good quality that will solve the problem? I don't just want something thin to cover the seat with, but something that will act as a buffer between me and the leather - but something unobtrusive that looks good AND fits the Solstice driver's seat specifically, in black. Thanks.
worg

#2 ·
I realize that it meets none of your criteria, but this is what I use when I drive home after working out...

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f117/no-sweat-53132/

I think your best solution is to make a WTB post in the Want to Buy / For Sale forum and offer to swap your leather seats for someones cloth seats. It is not a difficult swap if it is the entire seat assembly. Of course it would have to be a local deal as shipping would be prohibitive. Or you could could swap just the seat covering (I think). that's more work but shipping is feasible. See JPM's site for instructions on how to remove the leather seat cover.

Either way since leather is worth more whoever you swap with should pay you some cash.

#3 ·
Hi, I don't want to removed the original seats, just find something to cover them with - nice blankie for your seat there..

worg

#4 ·
if you don't wanna swap seats - to the cloth
?????????- hahaha good luck !

could somebody post up a nise pic of the cloth seats ?

its my 1st leather seats- love the smell - hate the sweating----

i can't see a blankie or covering that would look as nice as the cloth seats - but i don't recall what the cloth looks like ??

#6 ·
When it gets hot, I just turn the AC on and aim the dash vents at my hands.

#7 ·
I remember about 3 or 4 years ago seeing a thread about a neoprene seat covers and there were pictures of them installed. I think the company that made them was in Costa Mesa California. So you might try searching here on the forum for the thread.

#8 ·
The stock seats in the Solstice are not full leather, they are mostly vinyl. My solution was to have JPM insert suede in the center seating section of both the seat back and seat bottom. This cured the problem I was having and I live in Georgia where it can get very hot during the summer.

You could buy seat covers but I never found anything that was high quality.

Frank I

#9 ·
These are neoprene seat covers that were made for my jeep.
Fit like a glove, well padded, and no sweating.
(But even here in PHX my GXP just wears the leather)

Attachments

#11 ·
I have the cloth seats in mine. I factory-ordered my car and my salesman suggested the cloth seats because of how hot the leather gets, especially with the sun baking down on it. Glad I listened to him from a comfort point of view, and I love the way they look, too.

#12 ·
I was too late to custom order the car this summer, I would have definitely ordered cloth. The seats are mostly vinyl? What parts are vinyl and what parts are leather?

worg

#15 ·
Hello worg,

I used aftermarket custom fitted seat covers for all of my cars with leather seats. I always got velour fabric with foam backing, it tends to fit well and stay in place. There are several vendors that can make attractive, good fitting covers. Seat covers are generally a pain to install, but once they are on, they look great.

Good luck,

Lynne

#16 ·
Or you can use those beaded seat back covers. They help with the air going through them. I just keep a towel in my trunk and crack it out when needed.

I tried putting seat covers on but they look horrid.

#21 ·
I tried a couple of off the shelves from Auto Zone and K-fart. However, I did choose the more "expensive" and claimed to be good fitting.

The sides of the seats in the Sol's just wing out way more than what these car seats are designed for, IMHO.

However, those Wet Okole seat covers look like they fit pretty good.

How long have you had them on? I notice the drivers seat is pulled down just a little. Do you always have to pull it back into place or is that as far as you see it getting pulled down?

Wow, 235 for the seat covers from Okole. Do they have layaway? haha ;)

#20 ·
Two Words.....Wet Okole:)
I had mine installed over cloth seats by them in Costa Mesa (not too far from the Irvine Cars & Coffee)

#26 ·
Two Words.....Wet Okole:)
I had mine installed over cloth seats by them in Costa Mesa (not too far from the Irvine Cars & Coffee)

Man that looks really really good! I am tempted to go with those seat covers. I love the yellow piping. And I really like your yellow tulip and windshield frame.

Best regards,

Solmio
(aka tacky towel boy)

#22 ·
I get ripped a new one on this forum all the time. Mainly from speaking my mind.

You guys junk up your cars worse then any other car group I come across. So many options but you guys continually take the cheap tacky route.

Seriously you guys think any of those options posted look good. A Towel with a pontiac logo, covers made out of wet suits.

I am embarrassed to have bought an American car. Even the ricers aren't this bad.

#25 · (Edited)
!

Turboman. Go buy a rice burner then! Frankly, I don't care what you Like or don't Like. And as for me, I'm Proud to have bought American. This Car is one of the reasons I bought American. If you don't like the way I set up MY Car-too bad. Now go away!

#23 ·
Hi beecee,

I never had luck with the "off the shelf" seat covers. There are several on-line vendors who sell custom fitted seat covers, that's the way to go. They are more expensive and a pain to install, but once on, look good and protect the OE cover (and me from the leather). I got cloth seats in my Solstice, glad I did.

Lynne

#27 ·
A couple of questions that I want to address:

No, leather does not breath compared to vinyl (unless it is perforated). If you think it does, try spending the night under a leather blanket (long story :D)

If you just want a buffer between the stock leather and don't want to swap out seats, the fitted covers are the way to go. As mentioned before, Wet Okole makes a good, and in my opinion, the best aftermarket slip on covers.

JPM does not have any plans on making slip on covers. The time it takes to make a cover is almost the same amount as a seat so we would be pricing ourselves out.

If you do want to replace your leather, consider Alcantara. It wears well and is a bit more classy than just a cloth interior. Here's an example of a full Alcantara seat but most of the time we just stick with centers and leather on the side: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/jpm-sky-no-leather-all-57863/

Hope those help. Good luck with your choice

#30 ·
:lol::lol:

dude, that post just conjures up some really disturbing images :lol::lol::lol:

#32 ·
sheepskin

Custom-fitted sheepskin seat covers. They were not cheap, but they are extremely comfortable both in heat and cold. I get both in Texas where the summer days can be 100+ and winter nights can go down to single digits.

They fit like a glove and don't slip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.