Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Which is Lighter? Solstice Wheel or Sky Wheel?

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  skersfan 
#1 ·
Hope someone can compare them?

#6 ·
The SKY rims are a bit different but I would think weight wise they are about the same. Now the suspension in the SKY was made softer than the Solstice.

#8 ·
I weighed one of mine on a digital scale. with cap and valve stem it was 25.2 I only weighed one. The Sky ones look to be a little smaller in the spoke area. I can weigh the other three and see if they all come up the same. I really do not think there is enough difference in the two wheels to notice. Now if you were talking 5 pounds or something, but I would bet less than a half pound in all of them.

I have the set, I will weigh them all when I get home tonight. But then is my sale correct. Well I vote it is, it says I am under 200 pounds so I am all in on it!!!! lol

#11 ·
Looking forward to the weight. By the way, it's a myth that the Sky's were more softly sprung than the Solstice. Check the RPO, both the Sky Redline, and the Solstice GXP, got FE3 suspensions. I'm not sure about the standard Sky, as I never owned one, but I'm guessing the base suspensions are the same too.

#13 ·
The suspensions aren't the same, but the Sky's isn't really softer. The jounce rubbers in the early Skys were altered to lengthen the travel (slightly) and reduce harshness, and the front springs were (slightly) stiffer as a reflection of the higher base weight of the Sky. Of course the base weight of the Sky was higher because AC was standard instead of an option, so for most cars it didn't make sense, but there it is. DaveOC posted the suspension components chart in a recent thread, and you can look that up for confirmation, but I think I got the general concept right.

#14 ·
DaveOC posted the suspension components chart in a recent thread, and you can look that up for confirmation, but I think I got the general concept right.
Yes, I think you got it correct. I remember the first Sky that I drove, shortly after the introduction, I noticed that the front suspension seemed a bit firmer than my 1st 1000 Solstice. The suspension list confirms that the front springs are different.

Here's a link to the list: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/877839-post1.html. This listing is/was compiled by the GM Ride & Handling Engineer that put together the Solstice/Sky suspensions, Stephen Padilla.

Study hard, test at 11. :D

:thumbs:

#15 ·
Okay writing critics, the wheels weigh in at 25 pounds on my digital scale. The first one did weigh 25.2. All the valve stems have been removed. Wish I could give you more information on the weight of the Solstice wheel, but the ones I have, have tires mounted on them to move around the Mallett in the beginning. Old junk tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.