My Baby is parked for the winter! - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy My Baby is parked for the winter!

Today was another stunning day in Toronto....Sunny and reasonably warm! Decided as the sun was going down it was time to park my Sol for the winter.
Gave her a final "California Dusting". Added fuel stabllizer and then a last rip around the block. I then put the cover on.....good night!

Hopefully spring comes early to my part of "The Great White North"
Attached Thumbnails
My Baby is parked for the winter!-sol-cover.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm lucky where I live. I don't have to do that. I'm originally from Montreal and if I was there now, I'd be doing the same thing.

Don't cry..it'll be over soon
EarthNTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

What keeps me going is planning next years road trips and I am not putting any miles on my baby while she is parked!
Old 11-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

I guess I've been very lucky. When I got my Sol we lived in Texas. We now live in Georgia. So my Sol is on the road every day. Glad I don't have to waste the car and give up all that fun due to weather.
wine_lover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

My friend in Montreal has to store her coupe too. She doesn't like to do that, but....that's life in the nord, eh?
EarthNTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 06:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ours is in the garage for the winter. I still have some "storage" things to do next weekend but our "Sol Season" is over.
2008 Pontiac Solstice
SCCA SSB Champion Limited Edition
rhkfwain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
While we live in Colorado, depending on the severity of the winter, since we get over 300 days of sun, we get to drive our cars at least a couple of times a month over the winter and fall

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm in Canada too, but my Solstice is a year round working car that gets used in all weather except snow - the stock tires on the GXP aren't exactly snow friendly.

I can see that living in the Frozen East (for American readers, that is where we Canadians keep our politicians) would be less than attractive. Oops - I meant less attractive for driving....
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Good one!!! Not only do we keep our politicians in the east but we also keep them further north from where I am. It is nice and cold there!
Old 11-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Drove ours in the snow today. Too early for salt trucks and I still need to give it a final wash and paint detail so I figured, what the heck? Hate to think of how my wife is going to handle this winter seeing the Solstice in the garage.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have an interesting philosophy for my daily driver. I want a car that suits the majority of my driving, yet being able to handle any kind of driving I might actually encounter. My car is a daily driver since day one in the fall of 2008. It gets about just under 15K km a year. So it's getting close to 60K now. I live where we get winter (Toronto the last couple years and now on the edge of the GTA). And in four years of ownership, the only time the weather has been so bad that I had difficulty, far more "typical" cars were having far more difficulty. Primarily because I get the best snow tires I can find, and they run the cheapest **** they can get onto their cars, or whatever it came with. The only time I have difficulty of any kind is when the accumulation gets pretty extreme for my area, which is over 6" at a time. We almost always get snow, but it's rare we get a 6" accumulation at a time. And even if we do, it's almost always plowed within 24 hours, and 48 at the most. So the once or twice in 4 years of daily driver ownership that I didn't go out because the snow accumulation was that bad has not been much of an issue. If it's that bad, schools, and a lot of business are pretty reasonable and shut down on those days that happen once every few years.

And to be totally honest, most of the damage that happens to my car happens when the weather is nice. Like on road trips where I get stone chips, and a lot more sun/UV damage.

Admittedly, I do have to rust-proof, and anti-seize the ish out of my car though.

I got my car in the fall of 08, and my first winter with it, I went to Boston for new year's eve partying, and was in a pretty serious snow storm for most of the drive there, and while there. When I parked, I parked in a hollow left by another parked car that left the spot. New years day, it snowed over night and was up to the doors. A little rocking back and forth and I got out of the spot without issue. Left for Toronto later that day without issue.

Never been a fan of "princess" cars that are only driven occasionally, but that's just me. Maybe I'd be different if I were super rich and could afford to own multiple expensive cars that would be ridiculous to maintain.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

still driving mine as of today and will til they throw down the salt, most likely next week it will go in the garage, very sad as the solstice and motorcycles sit waiting, well at least I can detail them all winter and with some luck get a few new mods
Old 11-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

They salted the roads around here last night so mine is now officially parked for the winter.

On the bright side, when I do get her out for the first time in the spring, it is almost like having a new toy again , something those who drive all year don't appreciate.

Team Solstice Folding@Home

2007 Solstice GXP - Yeller, Ebony Top, AC, NO spoiler, MSRP - ordered 06/09/15 - delivered 07/04/02 and it's pronounced zed, not zee! ;-)

Mods: Street edition headlights, Windrestrictor, Clearbra, Kitt brake light, chicklets removed, fake chrome turn signals
Canuck Sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

I park mine in October and put it back on the road in March. Meanwhile, I have a Chrysler 300 for my winter beater. Wifey drives the Truck.

My Garage http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/garage/1132
King-Oka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Sol View Post
They salted the roads around here last night so mine is now officially parked for the winter.

On the bright side, when I do get her out for the first time in the spring, it is almost like having a new toy again , something those who drive all year don't appreciate.
Not true, everyday I wake up it's like having a new toy that I don't get bored with. I appreciate and drive my car 24/7/365, so no need to hide my SOL in a garage 6 months or so a year, as it is my proud DD!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.