Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Radiator fan is dead

13K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  rob the elder 
#1 ·
At least it's not turning on, at all: Not when the car gets hot or when the AC is turned on.

Anyone else had this issue? Ideas of where to start looking for the problem?

TIA

#2 ·
I did a few years ago, I took it to the dealer. I had the have the whole fan replaced which is not an easy project. Forget how much it cost me, also the GXP fan is more $$ then for the N/A model. But somewhere about $500 sticks in my memory. Cause they have to take the radiator out and need a complete coolant change.

#4 · (Edited)
We just had a member in NM have the same problem with his car. He bought a new fan module on Amazon. Its a Ford unit but its identical. There are threads on this forum from a year or so ago on this subject.

The part is #9 in this drawing from Nalley Chevrolet./

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP TURBO Convertible ENGINE COOLANT FAN

This is the Ford direct replacement fan controller
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Mot...eywords=2007+Ford+Crown+Vic+for+\:+RY1532+Fan

And here

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f59/cooling-fan-failure-gxp-variable-speed-85649/index3.html

I have two spare radiator / fan / shroud replacements that I bought from the EBAY store that had the factory parts available a few years ago. One screw and one connector and the relay module comes right out. If you put the car on the lift and come up from the back side on the bottom you can probably remove it without a huge problem. I have not done it yet but it does not seem like it is difficult unless you cant get access to it from the rear

#5 ·
#7 ·
It's a Sky Red Line.

When I picked up this car nine years ago yesterday, I never dreamt I'd be the one finding the fixes for it. But that's how it's turned out, thanks to inept dealer service departments.

I've ordered the $25 Crown Vic relay from eBay. If that doesn't fix it, it's just a drop in the bucket lost.

All hail the collective knowledge on this forum and give thanks for the magic on the Interwebs!

#9 ·
I never dreamt I'd be the one finding the fixes for it. But that's how it's turned out, thanks to inept dealer service departments.
lol - isn't THAT the truth? Like the body shop telling me recently "I don't think I can get parts for this any more." "Yes you can. They are starting to get scarce, but they're still out there."

Good luck!

#10 ·
Check the engine compartment fuse. If you jumped the car recently especially it might be the problem.

#12 ·
I got the replacement relay installed tonight...glad to have small hands for that job. And a lift. No joy. Ran the car to 243F and no fan.

Also, am I right in assuming that the fan is supposed to run whenever the AC is on?

Will check that fuse...thanks for the tip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.