Roll Bar attached to humps structure, strength? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SBUTCHER2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Roll Bar attached to humps structure, strength?

From Tony's roll bar build post here: Roll Bar Fun - Project Performance Auto Werks

It looks like they didn't use any Rear Bracing, is this because they were able to tie the Roll Bar to the structure behind the seats?

It appears that above the green line is where the roll bar becomes unsupported, seems like doing this would eliminate any need for rear bracing and maybe even the front bracing.

I am not saying I am going to do this, I am just speculating at this point.

If the Roll Bar itself is tied to the structure behind the seats, let's say 100% boxed into the vertical body structure (the vertical body behind the seats) and as usual tied to the floor, would this not be a pretty solid Roll Bar without forward or rearward bracing?

The concept would be similar to the deployable bars on exotic convertibles, like this Porsche:

317whp/329wtrq 2006 Solstice #1458 AR5 LE5 Werks Turbo Kit Meth 16.5 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose, Kappadapt flywheel bolts, Kappadapt trans mount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:27 AM

At one time, and in limited cases, SCCA has allowed roll bars to be braced at the height of the stock shoulder belt attachment point.
I think it was for Solo only, and I am fairly certain that some other specifications were included.
If my memory is accurate the two cars specifically listed were Porsche 914 and Toyota MR2.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky VIN 00252 Manual Midnight Blue
Sky Redline 2008 Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
At one time, and in limited cases, SCCA has allowed roll bars to be braced at the height of the stock shoulder belt attachment point.
I think it was for Solo only, and I am fairly certain that some other specifications were included.
If my memory is accurate the two cars specifically listed were Porsche 914 and Toyota MR2.
Thanks for the lead, I started googling MR2 roll bars:

A Roll Bar detail ties into something right at the shoulder belt: Techno Pro Spirit Rollbar

A low angle "rear brace": FS: Silver 01 MR-S - $7000

Similar: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2231815/2001-toyota-mr2/

Another style with a very low angle rear brace: New Roll Bar Supplier NOW WITH PICTURES - Page 23

Seems like we could create the same geometry with the Solstice body, but instead of a baby short low angle rear brace, it would be attached directly to the wall behind the seats.

I would say the application I have in mind would be for the street, but I see rules as the minimum best practice. In the 2017 Solo rules, Appendix C section D it says:

All roll bars must be braced in a manner to prevent movement in a foreand-aft
direction with the brace attached within the top one-third of the
roll hoop, and at an angle of at least thirty degrees (30) from vertical. It is
strongly recommended that two such braces be used, parallel to the sides
of the car, and placed at the outer extremities of the ro

I interpret this as, the Solstice humps are within the Top 1/3 and a brace directly to the rear wall is effectively 90 from vertical, exceeding 30 from vertical requirement

317whp/329wtrq 2006 Solstice #1458 AR5 LE5 Werks Turbo Kit Meth 16.5 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose, Kappadapt flywheel bolts, Kappadapt trans mount

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:46 PM

Looks like any attachment that exists is below the horizontal bar, well below the green line.

Instagram: @slab8
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
That is not a picture of the finished roll bar

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 48 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:16 AM

Roll Bar Construction

Tight and not much real estate to work with has been the discussion with the shop that fabricated the SCCA Solo Compliant bar. Several tracks reviewed and approved it for HPDE events and SCCA Track Night will now allow the car at their events.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solstice Rolbar Build_Open Center Supports.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	539.6 KB
ID:	66746  
Steelmesh likes this.

Steve Sol

2008 Solstice GXP, Cool.

Hp Tune; GMPP Turbo Upgrade, GM Performance Brake Reservior, ZOK Anti-Sway Bars; DDMWorks Brace, LV Front Brace and Pro-Beam; MagnaFlow Exhaust; AutoWerks High Flow Catayltic Converter, Street Performance InterCooler, WR-1 Turbo Upgrade; Complete IC Piping Kit and Lower Intake Pipe; Norm's Front Splitter; Spec Stage 2 Clutch, Extra Dark Tinted Windows. Lets not forget a heavy foot..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode