Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Safety recall Notice

16K views 114 replies 41 participants last post by  ToniCipriani 
#1 ·
Well guys and gals, I have received my Safety Recall Notice for GM Safety Recall 17036/ for the Passenger Airbag Suppression System. They are addressing the Flexible sensor mat inside the passenger seat. Thanks so much for all of your input and:thumbs: direction where to post the fault. Has anyone else received their notice yet?

#6 ·
Got mine 3/21.

However, there is a question that begs to be asked:

They say an indication of this problem is "the passenger airbag telltale is off while an adult is seated..."

My question is, what if the light is OK, i.e., it is not broken *yet*, will they fix it anyway? It is my understanding from reading posts here that this could be a very delicate part that could be damaged by someone kneeling on the seat. In other words, it may not be broken today but could easily break tomorrow.

Radio Doc...2009 GXP

#9 ·
The short answer is yes. Regardless of whether the sensor is broken or not, it has been recalled and will be repaired or replaced, depending on the remedy that GM comes up with, they have not announced the remedy yet.

Have patience . . . And wait for the next letter, which should be much more informative and conclusive.

:thumbs:

#7 ·
interesting...

I got a notice for both of my 09 coupes,
but I have not received a notice for my 08 convertible. :huh:
( I've owned that car the longest ! )

This post has been deleted
#10 · (Edited)
Rereading my letter this does appear to be a "replace everything" program.

If you currently have a failed sensor the best thing to do is to contact your local dealer. They will tell you what your options are, and you can then choose the one that is most acceptable to you.

#11 ·
Yeah, got mine today, but I'm the original owner & am at the same address as when I bought it so they don't have any real excuse if they DON'T send it. I thought the letter was a little muddy, also-they really don't say what the fix is and if everybody is going to get a redesigned sensor or just folks who had an actual failed one. Maybe I'm just jaded-anybody know how long before they don't have to do anything?

#12 ·
The legal requirement is ten years after production, so they are already doing more than they absolutely have to because they included the '06 and early '07 cars.

I think that they are replacing everything. Read the paragraph titled "What will we do". It does not restrict the replacement to failed sensors, which indicates that all of them will be replaced. I have gotten recalls that were worded "If you have this problem ..." and "... will replaced a failed part ...", but none of that language exists in the letter that I got.

Oddly, I have gotten a letter for the '08 that I have owned for 15 months, but not for the '07 that I have owned (at the same address) for 10-1/2 years.

#17 ·
Just piling on/sharing that my letter just arrived as well--I'm owner #3 on this car, a 2006 base.

Was just about to go ahead and try to get a replacement from Germany (based on the other forum posts) to have on hand, as mine's still working fine. I bought a spare used convertible top at the start of the year, and this was the next big spend. Glad to see that this may be a freebie after all.

And, thanks to all for their hard work pushing this with GM.

#18 ·
Got my recall letter today Now just hope they get the fix worked out soon

#19 ·
If your passenger airbag on/off indicator shows the proper condition for seat occupied/empty, and if you do not have a service airbag warning, there is no reason to take your car in for a check, as there is nothing that the dealer can do short of disassembling your seat to look for the start of a crack. Wait for the letter telling you to come in for the replacement.

When these cars become valuable collector's items (Ha!) a key point in valuation will be whether the passenger seat has the original sensor or the replacement. It might (not) be worth buying one so that your car can be restored to concours condition some day.

#20 ·
Got my letter today, 3/23/2017...

Yes, I got my letter today and have owned the 2007 GXP since January 21st this year. I'd say that is pretty good follow through. After reading all the information on the issue and the recall, when I plugged the VIN into the earlier link, there it was.

I also have records where the PO replaced the sensor/seat cushion with the European piece and paid the dealership to make the car happy with it, reprogramming, etc. I am hoping this will be a complete replacement of that as well. Plan to get a new driver's seat bottom cover so all matches, age wise.

Richard Snipes

#22 ·
GM USA wrote me the letter at the old address the car was registered. I contacted them and they told me to contact my local GM. So I contacted GM Netherlands.

GM Netherlands basically responded like .... "not our problem , please go away and knock on someone else his door"

:) :) :) , I love it. At least the situation is crystal clear :)

#23 ·
Well considering GM Europe is soon to be Peugeot...

#25 · (Edited)
I don't think GM Europe even exists (not sure though). But as far as I know Opel & Vauxhaul / several component & parts factories / several assembly plants / engineering center in Germany has been sold to PSA.

GM will keep support and dealerships for Chevy & Cadillac , Engineering Center in Italy, Russian factories.

#29 ·
You could replace it now, make the light go away, then send GM the bill, and get the redesigned sensor later, no?

#27 ·
Were these cracked sensors a result of the ignition recall procedure? I remember some folks had issues with a sensor in the passenger seat after the ignition recalls were performed, with the speculation being the techs were often kneeing hard into the seat to perform the recall.

#28 ·
Some forum members complained that they received the error after the ignition recall. I have a piece of plywood with "do not remove unless you want to replace the passenger seat sensor" written on it. I've used it twice now - for the ignition recall and when I had the Sol into a body shop to "freshen up" the front end after a cat encounter.

#35 ·
this just popped up on FB regarding a real fix:

Product Safety Recall
17036 Passenger Presence System
Reference Number:
N162080281

Reactions: Sting Ya
#37 ·
The post is from a GM employee. He said it was just released within GM internally a few hours ago. NHTSA nor GM.com/recalls have the information up just yet. Similar thing happened when the recall was first announced and it was a couple days before it made its way to these sites. Looks legit but we'll have to wait a bit to see the full document.

Reactions: Sting Ya
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.