Seat Sensor Recall Announced - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Seat Sensor Recall Announced

At long last, the highly anticipated passenger seat sensor recall is a go. Owners will be contacted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:20 AM

I never got a recall on this item. Dos it still exist? I took it to my local dealer and they wanted $400 for the passenger seat sensor bag repair. Same issue, or different?
Thanks
Dodge Marshall
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:01 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
This has been discussed for a couple of weeks. A couple of our members are responsible for this recall. Kudos to them.

The recall is not yet at the stage where any actual work is being performed. The company needs to come up with a solution, probably a different or new part, then test the solution and then notify owners. That will take a while.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 48 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 09:33 PM

Looking at the documentation that went along with the recall announcement, GM has 60 days from the date they notify the NHTSA of the recall to notify owners. Whether this means the remedy needs to be determined by then or not is unclear but there will be a notification letter sent out to owners by April 9 unless GM gets an extension.

07 Saturn Sky 2.4
Midnight Blue
MagnaFlow dual outlet exhaust
GMPP CAI

Info above for both my Skys. One owned from 06-07, one from 14 to present
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:16 AM

From NHTSA:
Quote:
Within a reasonable time after the determination of a safety defect or noncompliance, manufacturers must notify, by first-class mail, all registered owners and purchasers of the affected vehicles of the existence of the problem and give an evaluation of its risk to motor vehicle safety. The manufacturer must explain to consumers the potential safety hazards presented by the problem. Names of vehicle owners are obtained from State motor vehicle offices. The letter must also instruct consumers on how to get the problem corrected, remind them that corrections are to be made at no charge, inform them when the remedy will be available, how long the remedy will take to perform, and whom to contact if there is a problem in obtaining the free recall work.
So, no. The remedy does not have to be defined within the 60-day notification window.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky VIN 00252 Manual Midnight Blue
Sky Redline 2008 Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:30 AM

Thanks to those of you who have continued to push GM to take responsibility for this airbag sensor issue. I was told last year that GM would never issue a recall on a product they or brand they no longer manufacture. It was ridiculous to see that the Cadillac CTS owners were taken care of even though the incident rate was much lower than that off the Solstice/Sky. I am looking forward to the day when the local service manager hands me my keys back after GM finally fixes the issue with my 2009 Solstice.
Chris Meek likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:36 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Looking at the documentation that went along with the recall announcement, GM has 60 days from the date they notify the NHTSA of the recall to notify owners. Whether this means the remedy needs to be determined by then or not is unclear but there will be a notification letter sent out to owners by April 9 unless GM gets an extension.
The date GM notified the NHTSA is January 26, 2017. The recall notification must be mailed by March 27, 2017. I'd have to agree with JohnWR (a couple of posts back) that the remedy does not have to be defined within the 60-day notification window.

By far the vast majority of current Kappa owners in the United States and Canada are not aware of this recall at this time. The only ones that know about it are forum followers and people that follow Kappa areas on social media. This has traditionally been a small minority of the Kappa owners.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:55 AM

My 08 GXP passenger seatbelt light goes "on" if no one sitting there, and goes "off" there is someone in the seat. Does that mean my sensor is OK, or is that a separate issue?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:31 PM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoGXP View Post
My 08 GXP passenger seatbelt light goes "on" if no one sitting there, and goes "off" there is someone in the seat. Does that mean my sensor is OK, or is that a separate issue?
I suspect you seat sensor is OK, but your indicator panel is wired backwards? Is this even possible? TS?

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:48 PM

ColoradoGXP: What is the passenger seat belt warning light doing under these conditions? If the passenger airbag is armed (ON) and the seat belt is not fastened the warning should be on. Is this a recent issue, or has it always done it? If it is recent, did anything else happen around the same time? Finally, do you have an airbag warning light or a service airbag message?

John
Lexington, KY

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:50 PM

Here are a few recall wet blankets:

The easiest, and maybe even cheapest, thing for GM to do is to simply agree to keep replacing failed sensors.

GM is not required to repair the entire production run:
Quote:
There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser. For example, if a defect is found in 2003 and a recall ordered, manufacturers are required to make the correction available at no charge only for vehicles purchased new in 1994 through 2003.
And, GM is not required to reimburse everyone who has replaced a sensor:
Quote:
Vehicle manufacturers are required to reimburse owners for costs incurred to remedy a defect based on either (1) the date NHTSA opens its Engineering Analysis, or (2) one year prior to the manufacturer’s notification of a defect to NHTSA, whichever is earlier. The closing date of eligibility for reimbursement of repair of a motor vehicle is 10 days after the manufacturer mails the last of the owner notices informing owners of a safety defect recall and cost-free remedy.

John
Lexington, KY

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 02:51 PM

Just re-checked and I may have confused you. If there is nobody in the passenger seat, the passenger airbag sensor light "illuminates" and says
passenger airbag "Off". On startup run-through they both light up but then quickly only the passenger airbag "Off" light stays lit.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 04:17 PM

The normal startup procedure is for both lights to be on for maybe 8-10 seconds when the car is first powered, so you don't have a problem.

John
Lexington, KY

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Here are a few recall wet blankets:

The easiest, and maybe even cheapest, thing for GM to do is to simply agree to keep replacing failed sensors.

GM is not required to repair the entire production run:

And, GM is not required to reimburse everyone who has replaced a sensor:

Does this mean 2006 cars are out of luck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode