Should I Purchase A Solstice? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Should I Purchase A Solstice?

Do I need one? No. Do I want one? Yes.

I'm a divorced guy, no kids, in my late 30's and I currently drive a 2013 Ram 1500 that I love. I always liked the Solstice and I've spent the past few weeks browsing for a Solstice across the country. I'm only looking at new car dealerships who also happen to sell used cars. I am not interested in private sales or the corner used car lot. This would only be a vehicle used in perfect weather conditions since I'd like to keep this a long time.

I live in the northeast so road salt wrecks our vehicles in the winter so I've specifically been looking at southern based cars. I also plan to cover the car and keep it in my garage during the winter.

Last week I almost purchased a 2007 2.4 with around 55,000 miles for $8,900 shipped to my house from about 700 miles away. There was no way for me to inspect the vehicle personally so I was going by internet pics as well as more pics and videos sent to me privately. It was leather and manual which is what I was looking for. The salesman had given me the bank info to wire funds to the dealerships bank account but there were issues. I contacted him and he apologized and gave me some different info. I got a strange feeling at this point so I called off the transaction.

At this point I decided to turn my attention towards the gxp's. I found a 2008 gxp with about 35,000 miles for about $13,000. With taxes, fees and shipping it would be about $16,000.

As I mentioned, this would only be a perfect weather car and would never see rain or snow. I expect to put less than 1,000 miles on it annually. My concern is that it might be harder to find parts for the car years down the road or that those parts might be outrageously expensive due to availability.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:04 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Welcome to the forum

I along with many others have two

Many of the high wear parts are shared with other GM cars and parts are readily available. In fact parts manufactured for the cars are coming on line. Most of the hard to find unique parts are still available from GM or after market sources.

Have the car inspected before you buy and by all means consider a GXP. They are very fun

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 48 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649

Last edited by rob the elder; 02-15-2017 at 09:09 PM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

How do I go about getting it inspected when it's 15 hours away from me? Can I trust them since it's a new car dealership? They do offer a 90 day 4,000 warranty that I could use here but the closest shop is almost 90 minutes from me.

Is a price barely under $13,000 good for a 2008 GXP with just over 30,000 miles?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolsticeToto View Post
How do I go about getting it inspected when it's 15 hours away from me?
there is a service that can inspect cars for you. Search the forum as another person did this...

also, there is a list of things to check when buying a car - again somewhere on the forum.

Use google search, but add the suffix 'site:solsticeforum.com' to your search

wr

Mean 2008 GXP
Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !

Deep 2009 NA Coupe
Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:16 AM

Man walks into a heroin den and asks "Is this stuff any good?"

How do you think the addicts are going to respond?

OF COURSE YOU SHOULD BUY IT!

But seriously - as the other members above have recommended, have a known source inspect it and go over the list of things to look out for. Wire transfer of funds for an entire transaction makes me very nervous. I understand the travel restrictions, but personally I would travel to inspect it. If it is what it was supposed to be I'd write the check and get the title before I left.
raygun likes this.

2007 2.4L N/A. Stock + some pretty crap.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:28 AM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Members of this forum have had other members who are local to the candidate car do the inspection for them.

Here is a discussion of things to check

Help!!! Looking at buying my first GXP

Here is an example of a for hire inspection service. I am sure there are others.

Lemon Squad - Nationwide Used Car Inspections

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 48 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:41 AM

We have a member here who recently hired YourMechanic.com to inspect a used car that they couldn't inspect themselves and appeared to be satisfied w/the service.

As for parts, as long as we have enthusiasts sites (skyroadster.com & kappaperformance.com) the members should be able to help you find parts in the future. Plus salvage yards continue to part out Kappa's and sell parts online. Also remember that while the Sol and Sky have different body panels most of stuff under them are identical.

While you say you want to stick w/dealerships I wouldn't discount looking at private sales since you can sometimes get more information about a car from an owner. I have two different threads I update on a daily basis. The first is a low priced thread (around $5K) and the second is a low mileage thread (under 20K miles). Most ads are from Craigslist because I feel they offer the most up to date format.

Low-Mileage Solstices For Sale

For example here the latest entries:
2008, 2.4, Manual, Cool (Silver), 9,002 Miles, $9,600, Salisbury, NC Looks to be a good buy
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/6000832140.html (pics)

2006, Auto, Aggressive (Red), 18,000 Miles, $12,500, North Mississippi
https://northmiss.craigslist.org/cto/6001271781.html (pics)

2008, GXP, Auto, Brazen (Orange), 13,000 Miles, $15,700, Pewaukee, WI
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP 13,000 miles (pics)

2007, GXP, Manual, 22,500 Miles, $16,500, Loveland, CO
https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/5993159400.html (pics)

FWIW, two out of three Sols have auto's, making manuals rarer, and I'm going to assume you know that Pontiac also offered 1266 Targa coupes in
2009/10.

Also, check out this place, they purchased OEM parts from GM when they closed the Kappa factory: http://www.factoryoemparts.com/ponti...ce-saturn-sky/

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 02-17-2017 at 08:49 AM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

When I was interested in another Solstice recently I had looked at mobile car inspections services AIM and Char Chex. They were going to report back with pics and a general assessment of the car. Price was supposed to be about $120 but since there was no local person I had to pay about $190 due to extra travel. I came to find out that they are not mechanics and I never went through with the deal.

So I stumbled upon YourMechanic which has been mentioned on this board. Total cost would be $84 to have the car checked out and it would be by an actual mechanic. Says it should take around 70 minutes. In fact, when going through the booking process it actually lists the mechanic that would be inspecting the car and has reviews.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:57 AM

I don't understand why your not shopping locally. Here in the snow belt most kappas are stored all winter. I know neither of my Solstices have ever seen snow and seldom been rained on. Because of this we have many pampered kappas with many low mile cars. Southern cars can be used as daily drivers , stored outside and have sun damage, ie: foggy headlights. Private owners gives you a chance to see where the car has been and get a feeling if the car was appreciated and babied. Dealership usually have no idea of the cars history and the lie. Parts are not hard to find since our cars share with many models some of the more specific parts, tops, rear quarter panels etc are harder to find. Good luck with your hunt.

07 Aggressive NA, 11-06 SOLD 9-17-08
09 WickedGXP9-25-08 Auto, Red calps,shorty antenna,windscreen,dibit & bkup light covers, leather armrests/console & door pockets,de-badged, pulsing 3rd light,GMPP CAI&tune, DDM susp set,Clear bra,garage opener in header, JPM lumbar,SOLO Mach Shty cat bk
09 Aggressive GXP Coupe 4-16-14, #577, Auto,soft top,Red calps,GM tune,GM acc whls,Conti Xtreme contact tires,pulsing 3rd light,red eng cover, DDM susp set,SOLO center Exh, Norm Valance
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedMike View Post
I don't understand why your not shopping locally. Here in the snow belt most kappas are stored all winter. I know neither of my Solstices have ever seen snow and seldom been rained on. Because of this we have many pampered kappas with many low mile cars. Southern cars can be used as daily drivers , stored outside and have sun damage, ie: foggy headlights. Private owners gives you a chance to see where the car has been and get a feeling if the car was appreciated and babied. Dealership usually have no idea of the cars history and the lie. Parts are not hard to find since our cars share with many models some of the more specific parts, tops, rear quarter panels etc are harder to find. Good luck with your hunt.

There are only 11 Solstice's within 100 miles from me with only 2 of them being GXP and both in black which is not the color I want. They also have more mileage and are listing for more. :-)
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:25 AM

Agree with Wicked Mike now is not the best time to buy one of these as most are stored and the ones that are not are people who are driving them in the snow I would not even consider one that has been .Where in the North East do you live ? I'm in Columbia Station Ohio and I'd be more then happy to check out a car for you as I'm sure other members would be .Some decent weather is just around the corner if it was me I'd wait ,keep looking for now and if something pops up you'll have some time to work a deal . I personally would not get something from a dealer unless you know someone who works there a good detail can hide a lot of faults .At this point a lot of people who have these cars are enthusiasts and you can tell a lot about the car by the owner and usually get a better deal Good Luck !

Last edited by Sting Ya; 02-16-2017 at 10:27 AM.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:41 PM

I agree with Sting: The good private owner cars are still under cover. Not a good time to be selling or buying a convertible. They certainly don't want someone test driving their car in crummy weather, means it has a major cleanup to show to others. Keep an eye on Chop Tops posts for sale cars, especially low miles. For sales will start coming out in April. Yes there are lots of forum or club members that would enjoy checking out a car for you. Who better then someone that knows the little things to look for on a kappa. Check this forum and see about kappa club in your area. Lots of times club members know of other club members that are thinking about selling. Happy hunting

07 Aggressive NA, 11-06 SOLD 9-17-08
09 WickedGXP9-25-08 Auto, Red calps,shorty antenna,windscreen,dibit & bkup light covers, leather armrests/console & door pockets,de-badged, pulsing 3rd light,GMPP CAI&tune, DDM susp set,Clear bra,garage opener in header, JPM lumbar,SOLO Mach Shty cat bk
09 Aggressive GXP Coupe 4-16-14, #577, Auto,soft top,Red calps,GM tune,GM acc whls,Conti Xtreme contact tires,pulsing 3rd light,red eng cover, DDM susp set,SOLO center Exh, Norm Valance
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:36 PM

Unfortunately spring is the worst time to buy a convertible. Prices are generally higher and the selection tends to be lower.

I will agree that having a forum member local to the car check it out is a good idea, even if a mechanic does it also. The best would be both, of course.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky VIN 00252 Manual Midnight Blue
Sky Redline 2008 Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:40 PM

Don't discount private deals. These are second or third cars for most owners.
I bought my 07 last spring with 30,000km on it for $14,500.00 Canadian It had never been driven in winter and if it looked like it was going to rain his wife would drive her Mercedes instead. Much better deal t than I could find at a dealership and they had all the service records.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 06:16 AM

If I were to do it again, GXP would be the only way to go. The power to weight of the turbo motor is incredible. Do yourself a favor, if you do buy a 2.4L NA, NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, drive a GXP. You will be sorry you went with the NA!!!

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode