Softline top........ - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #31 (permalink)

NS...MG's are pretty simple (and old) cars, they do not have rear defrosters (roadsters). Final year for MG's was '80.
riggs314 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs314 View Post
NS...MG's are pretty simple (and old) cars, they do not have rear defrosters (roadsters). Final year for MG's was '80.
Makes perfect sense! Thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Sol View Post
Thank you. It is one of my favorite mods!

I am thinking of as follows for my hard top:
Club Racer Top with tinted ( thanks Riggs314) glass and defogger rear window
Haartz Black Viinyl covering
Upgraded black interior liner
I updated post above to reflect what I am now going to do. $$$ wise it will look like this:
$1259.00 Club Racer top - includes $140 discount - thanks Lowlife!
$295.00 Haartz black Vinyl covering
$100.00 Black upgraded / thicker interior liner
$200.00 glass / tinted / defogger rear window
-------------
$1854.00 total

If I am going to do it I might as well " go big or go home"!!!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #34 (permalink)

I think you will be very happy with that.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #35 (permalink)

NS,
Congatulations on your decision! Sounds like it will be a nice top. BUT...the worst thing about hardtops is where the heck do you store them in the summer! I just purchased the EDAG top for my solstice...what the heck am I gonna do with it when its top down time. The factory hardtop stays on the MG Midget simply because they are kinda rare and look good when the car goes to car shows. The Smoothline MGB top stays in the back of my pickup with a shell over it all summer...kind of a pain in the butt when I want to haul something. I don't have a barn or friends who will let me store it in their barns!
riggs314 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
NS,
Congatulations on your decision! Sounds like it will be a nice top. BUT...the worst thing about hardtops is where the heck do you store them in the summer! I just purchased the EDAG top for my solstice...what the heck am I gonna do with it when its top down time. The factory hardtop stays on the MG Midget simply because they are kinda rare and look good when the car goes to car shows. The Smoothline MGB top stays in the back of my pickup with a shell over it all summer...kind of a pain in the butt when I want to haul something. I don't have a barn or friends who will let me store it in their barns!
Be sure to post some pictures.

Last edited by BuzzardT; 11-30-2012 at 09:44 AM.
BuzzardT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
NS,
I live in a condo. My wife has the large storage locker in the basement. I am not allowed in it nor do I want to go in it I have a smaller locker which Is all mine and is full of my factory parts for my Sol I will make room for this roof to go in there. I am going to be buying the cart for moving the roof around. I will then be able to remove at my underground parking spot and wheel to the locker one floor below.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardT View Post
Be sure to post some pictures.
Will do! As mentioned earlier won't be until spring when I get down to their shop and have them line it up and install.

Thank you everyone for your comments and insights! It has really helped me come to a clear decision on what options to get. This Forum is a great resource!!!!

Last edited by Northern Sol; 11-30-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Grammer
Northern Sol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
riggs314: .... BUT...the worst thing about hardtops is where the heck do you store them in the summer! I just purchased the EDAG top for my solstice...what the heck am I gonna do with it when its top down time. .....
Why not hang it from the ceiling of your garage ? That is where mine is going to be.

The EDAG top hangs pretty well from three points: The center front and the two rear corners. Screw or (if you have access above the ceiling) bolt a hook and pulley into your ceiling in line with each of those points, then add a couple of additional pulleys at the top of the wall, and a light-duty boat winch below them where it is easy to reach. Run a rope from each of the main pulleys through the additional pulleys and attach the three to the winch. Turning the winch raises or lowers all three together, and will lift the top nearly flat against the ceiling.

I hoist my utility trailer against the wall of my garage using a similar arrangement, and a friend of mine used to store his trailer "on the ceiling" albeit with five cables instead of three.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Sol View Post
I updated post above to reflect what I am now going to do. $$$ wise it will look like this:
$1259.00 Club Racer top - includes $140 discount - thanks Lowlife!
$295.00 Haartz black Vinyl covering
$100.00 Black upgraded / thicker interior liner
$200.00 glass / tinted / defogger rear window
-------------
$1854.00 total

If I am going to do it I might as well " go big or go home"!!!!!
Placed order today! Add $200.00 to above for the storage cart. Now I just have to wait until mid March to pick it up and have them install.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #41 (permalink)

Dude, you're killing me! Would you be allowed to build a type of temporary hardtop holding frame above your parking space? When I had TJs switching the tops was easy, it was moving/storing it that turned it into a PITA.
ChopTop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Dude, you're killing me! Would you be allowed to build a type of temporary hardtop holding frame above your parking space? When I had TJs switching the tops was easy, it was moving/storing it that turned it into a PITA.
As mentioned earlier I am in a condo so "condo rules" won't allow me to mount anything into the roof above my car unfortunately. However, I have a "car nut" friend in the building and he will help me with removal and installing. I will leave it on for 6 weeks at the beginning of the season and then back on for the last six weeks of the season so should not be that big a deal. I have a locker one floor below and a freight elevator to get it there so should be just fine.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #43 (permalink)

That looks great
CaliCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #44 (permalink)

Update on Smoothline Hard Top

Final am getting around to this. Ok, around the beginning of April I made my way down to the Smoothline Factory near Cheswick PA. Nice ride down with some flurries going through the hills of Ohio. I got to Smoothline right on time and they had my top waiting for me. Wow, it looked just awesome. The Haartz Vinyl was totally the way to go and upgraded liner was perfect. A real quality product!!!! Met Jack and his crew and toured the shop.

Install time comes and..... the GM luggage rack was not factored in! I had sent pictures and was told all would be fine but ...Opps. Needless to say I was disappponted. Jack and I quickly worked out terms to make things right. However, I kept drooling over my hard top. I wanted it so bad but it had to work without removing the luggage rack. For me this is a key point due to no access to trunk once hard top is on.

Jack and his crew took a bunch of measurements and pictures and then offered to make me a custom one where the back window does not come as far out onto the deck lid. They would have it just line up after the edge so that there are no leaks but leaves enough room so the my GM luggage rack could stay on.

If they would make it I offered to come back in September to get it installed. They agreed and made an unfortunate situation into a positive outcome. The drive was about 5 hours but I had a visit to Erie PA and then Niagara Falls factored in so I was cool.

This is a "must mod" in my opinion. Looks stunning and preserves our soft top. Again, after seeing the product I was really impressed. Come September I will post pics once it is installed. If you have the GM Luggage rack you will now be able to use it with the Club Racer Top. Once they make the adjusted mold for mine they can do it for you!
Old 08-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #45 (permalink)

Update 2

Spoke with Jack at Smoothline today. They are getting ready to make the mold for my top shortly. As mentioned this will allow it to fit without removing the GM luggage rack. If all goes well I should have confirmation in a week or so that we are rolling. They have to fit it onto the Sol at their shop and make sure all is tight and right.

They will then add this version as an option for those of us out there with the GM luggage rack.

Will keep you updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.