Solstice vs Camaro 2SS - Dilemma - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 11:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

I own a 2008 GXP now and have owned two different C6 Corvettes. I also rented a 2010 V6 Camaro two years ago for a week. The only redeeming quality I remember the Camaro having was a stellar V6.

This really comes down to what you want because these cars couldn't be more different. Coming from a GXP your decision is going to be pretty easy in my eyes and here's why:

Camaro - much newer, more roomy, less engaging, a hard-to-see-out-of barge that will feel heavy as a tank and corner like one (yes, even though it's an SS) too but......when you drop the hammer that LS3 will pull much more violently (and sound better) than a stock-ish GXP (just make sure it's pointed straight first). I'm not even going to talk about how cheap the interior/dash was.

Solstice - nimble, tossable, much lighter, harsher, much smaller, lower, can put the top down, requires more attention to drive, can wind out the engine more without venturing into the "go to jail" zone (I have GMPP tune and still isn't very fast to me). The GXP is truly "Corvette-Lite".

Yes, I'm biased.

I owned an LS3 Vette and there are not too many occasions where you can truly unleash it on the the street and not go to jail. These things nowadays are so economy tuned that just putting around you would never know you had 430hp on tap (a tune will fix that). There is an old saying "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow". I can attest a certain amount of truth to that.

One extended test drive will tell you what you need to know. The thing I find most worrisome in your situation if you switch is how heavy and lethargic the Camaro will feel compared to the GXP (that and it is very hard to see out of). IMO that will be the one thing that could make you regret your decision a month later.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. I still like the Camaro and what it is doing for GM. I would own a ZL1 if I could afford one (while keeping the GXP). But owning a SS for 15K - 19K would be a steal.
Sloowstice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #17 (permalink)

I am actually surprised as to how quickly some would switch to a Camaro from a GXP given the opportunity. I cannot picture myself enjoying that monstrosity nearly as much.

For your situation though op, it does sound like you would appreciate a car that would fit your changing needs. Consider whether it was the deal that came about which sparked your interest in a different car or if you have been pondering this for a while.

As for mods on your Solstice, the dealer may not see much value in them. Personally, I would restore it as close to stock as I could if its not time consuming/costly to do so and recoup a lot of your $$$ especially since you still have your stock takeoffs(which are worth close to nothing in comparison).

Last edited by brap; 11-25-2012 at 08:02 AM.
brap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brap View Post
I am actually surprised as to how quickly some would switch to a Camaro from a GXP given the opportunity. I cannot picture myself enjoying that monstrosity nearly as much.
Ya I'm surprised too! I know I wouldn't do it, although the Camaro is a nice car, everybody has one(well not everybody, but you know what I mean)That is ONE of the many things I love about the Sol, not too mention all the other cons about the camaro. But to the op, you gotta do what you gotta do, I know you are looking for opinions, but of course in the end ultimately it is your decision.I really do hope you make the right one, no matter what you decide.
Best of luck and do update.
Bert
boboborino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #19 (permalink)

Camaro, if indeed the story is as you say. The 2SS camaro is worth substantially more. But if it is in some way not as reported, or you can't really get what you think you can for the Sol, then the game changes.

Depreciation will be more on the Camaro for the next few years, but it'll still be worth the GXP price in 5 years, maybe more.

I'd do it.

My Garage http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/garage/1132
King-Oka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Mayhem
I would just give up golf...lol
Old 11-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #21 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

For the life of me, I don't understand why people ask these questions on a forum?

I can tell you that in T2 racing, the Camaro trounces the Solstice in a straight line, and isn't too bad when it gets twisty.

It's your car, do what you want. I don't think that the Camaro is going to be much easier to climb into or out of, but I've never tried one on for size.

Do whatever feels right to you, and then don't look back.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Stage 1 View Post
Golf Clubs fit fine in my Sky, with the top down:

They don't fit in my Sky, you SOL guys not have the two vertical braces in the center rear of the area?
SkyPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #23 (permalink)

@ Carpe Diem, one thing comes to mind, the Camaro is currently in production, the Kappa is not, so you can always buy a Camaro later, but not a Solstice. I have both and like them for different reasons. The Sky is just great to drive anywhere in SoCal and only sips gas. My Z28 guzzles gas like a wharf whore does liquor, but you can't beat the throaty sound coming from the flowmaster duals, neither on start-up nor at WOT from a dead stop. Again, I can always replace the Camaro, but not the Sky.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPilot View Post
They don't fit in my Sky, you SOL guys not have the two vertical braces in the center rear of the area?
I have a Sky, that picture is of my car. Clubs fit with top down and I even have room for a collapsible pull cart. Just need a small bag and the right size cart, it does work.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I have a Sky, that picture is of my car. Clubs fit with top down and I even have room for a collapsible pull cart. Just need a small bag and the right size cart, it does work.
Do you have a picture of that?
94 Bronco XLT, 5.8L, very rusty and 35s
07 GXP, Mean, manual-RIP 1Apr13 @14K miles
juspimpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #26 (permalink)

Carpe...

If you're seriously considering the Camaro then get it but do whatever you can to not lose the kappa, you might regret it later. As I'm sure you know, there's nothing like driving with the top down and you cant get that experience with a hard top. The kappa is such a unique, good looking car with good get up. I'm sure you can give me some life lessons, but if there's anything that i go by in my making decisions, especially the hard ones, is that we only get one time around the tracks so we'd better make it good. This was my rationale in purchasing and keeping my Sky. Hope this helps.
Gabes Redline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #27 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I re-read your initial post.

I see a person who loves their car, has done extensive work on it to personalize it and enjoys driving it.

I think that the real decision is is it time for you to give up on your youth. Should you go with the "sensible" . . "conservative" cage or keep the fun car?

You basically forumlated your decision matrix as "sensible" vs "fun"

But the key statement in your list for me was the one where you voiced your concern about loosing the social side of Kappa ownership. This is for me the first car I ever owned that came with a huge following and set of friends and enthusiasts. I think that will be the most difficult element of trading to the Chevy.

My recommendation is that you keep your roadster. You obviously have a lot of yourself invested in that car. And in the community. You can figure out a way to get your golfing done. Get a luggage rack and strap the bag onto the trunk lid. Get a trailer and haul them. Get a luggage carrier and hang the cargo carrier off the rear of the car when you are going golfing.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #28 (permalink)

If you have trouble getting in and out of the car it's time to look elsewhere. I wouldn't want to see you go but DickW did the same thing for the same reason some time ago.
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
Sly Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #29 (permalink)

Instead of the Camaro, just add a CTS V to your fleet for everyday and golf duty!
njtex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow, you must not only have a small bag, but a small driver and little balls too!

When I try to put mine in my trunk, well, that's all that goes in. The pump coupled with those two vertical frame pieces pretty much keep the clubs out.

With the clubs in the trunk:

And finally, there's NO WAY that top is going in and the deck lid closing:

I can put them into the passenger side of the Sky though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.