Some thoughts on recalls (Ignition, Passenger Sensor) - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Some thoughts on recalls (Ignition, Passenger Sensor)

I recently received a letter for the passenger airbag sensor recall and since I have not taken it in for the ignition (as I heard a few negative comments about it being done with defective ignition switches) I'm wondering if they'll do both. Would any of these 2 recalls interfere with work I've already done on the vehicle such as removing of the of the dash parts and that kinda thing?

Will definitely take it in for the passenger airbag sensor. Also need a crank relearn still so guess it's time to take it to the dealer anyways. Perhaps then I should even install a new EBCM and have them program it also, many birds with one stone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:37 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
The ignition switch recall addresses two basic problems. It is highly recommended that you have it applied.

first is it replaces the ignition switch with an improved unit that has a stronger position retention spring.

Second it replaces the ignition lock which can fail at any time. The pins in the lock can fall out of their retainers into the lock preventing it from turning. If you are driving the car when it fails you cant turn the ignition off. If it fails when you are not driving the car, then you cant start the car.

The lock replacement involves the steering wheel and immediate area. They should do it any time you take the car in as long as they have the parts available.
Sting Ya likes this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 48 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Great, thanks for clarifying that. I imagine with the latest airbag sensor recall they'll simply replace the cushion of the passenger seat. Guess I'll schedule a visit soon!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 09:48 AM

Garage
I received a letter today re: the seat sensor recall. There is now an "interim repair" if you have the problem (air bag shows as off with adult in passenger seat). "Your dealer will replace the inflatable restraint passenger presence module. This is not a permanent repair." We will be notified when the permanent correction is available.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 10:35 AM

Still have not heard anything from GM and received my letter over a month ago so I guess this will be like the ignition as the replacement parts come in they will notify you .I know with the ignition switch they had a list based on when you called the service department to set up an appointment with the seat issue I wonder if any other vehicles are affected . As for the ignition switch I read an article in one of my car magazines AutoWeek I believe that said you had so much time to have the recall done and at some point GM was no longer liable if you had an accident that was related to the switch problem if I were you General I'd have it done asap to cover my *ss .

Last edited by Sting Ya; 05-12-2017 at 10:39 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 12:52 PM

What if you opt to wait for the actual repair, Do you need to get the interim repair first as far as the recall coverage?

2007 GXP Mysterious

Rear Spoiler
Painted calipers
Cup holder console DDM

2008 SHELBY GT500 Black
rear window louvers
side window louvers
power stow lic plate
duo pod pillar gauge
billet dash plaque
billet engine caps
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo View Post
What if you opt to wait for the actual repair, Do you need to get the interim repair first as far as the recall coverage?
No. Having the interim repair done is not required before having the permanent replacement performed when the parts are available.
However. I will echo what RedOne07 just stated, it is rather foolish to drive a car with a partially inoperative safety system, especially when a warranty repair is available.
Sting Ya likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky VIN 00252 Manual Midnight Blue
Sky Redline 2008 Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I received the letter yesterday for the interim repair. I wonder how long it'll take for them to get it done. Kinda my only car and I really need it.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Founding Member

Just to be CLEAR!! unless your Air bag sensor is broken there is NO NEED to do it since you are getting THE SAME MODULE YOU HAVE NOW!!
Daiwa, Sting Ya and GODROD like this.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinVenom View Post
Just to be CLEAR!! unless your Air bag sensor is broken there is NO NEED to do it since you are getting THE SAME MODULE YOU HAVE NOW!!
Ya, I will wait until they have the final fix since I only use it occasionally with zero highway usage.

I dont like driving with the explosive devices to begin with !!!

I have had My Mustang drivers and corolla passenger bags both fixed under recall in the past year.

The Mustang recall stated " discontinue driving until rectified, failure to do so could result in severe injury or death do to shards of metal being blasted in your face" and had to wait 13 months for a replacement, Thanks Takata !

They may have more issues than they are worth, personally IMHO

2007 GXP Mysterious

Rear Spoiler
Painted calipers
Cup holder console DDM

2008 SHELBY GT500 Black
rear window louvers
side window louvers
power stow lic plate
duo pod pillar gauge
billet dash plaque
billet engine caps
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:42 PM
Founding Member

Anybody know if they replace the whole bottom seat cushion as a unit or tear into it and just replace the sensor and put it back together?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:35 AM

The current part has only been available as sensor plus cushion. Removing the sensor damages the cushion so I don't think it likely that the sensor will be replaced without the cushion, but no one will know for sure until it happens. Note: "Cushion" is just the foam. The seat cover is not replaced.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky VIN 00252 Manual Midnight Blue
Sky Redline 2008 Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:23 AM

I'm willing to bet that GM will do the same thing for us that Takata is doing for the faulty airbag owners since a fix seems unlikely....a check for $500. Or in GM's case, probably $2000 rebate on any new GM vehicle.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:22 AM

I certainly hope they will do that. Sounds like a great deal. 2000$ check for a part that costs 110$ in Europe
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
The current part has only been available as sensor plus cushion. Removing the sensor damages the cushion so I don't think it likely that the sensor will be replaced without the cushion, but no one will know for sure until it happens. Note: "Cushion" is just the foam. The seat cover is not replaced.
Too bad. I was kind of wondering if they might just drop in a new seat assembly with cover and all. I figured probably not, but if so, I was going to try swapping my driver and passenger seat covers first since the driver side has a lot more wear. Oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode