State Farm & Onstar Drive safe and save program - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > General Solstice Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

State Farm & Onstar Drive safe and save program

I just got a flyer in the mail regarding a new program St. Farm is offering called the Drive Safe and Save discount http://statefarm.com/drivesafeandsave. Upfront it looks like you can save a decent amount on your policy if you have a low annual mileage vehicle. My insurance agent didn't know much about it, and is going to call me back. I thought I'd reach out to the community and see what other know.

Here's my question, does anyone know what information they can collect and potentially use against you to increase your premium? For example, can they see top speed? I'm not advocating speeding or bad driving, but what if I have my vehicle at a sanctioned race track doing some laps?

Anyone using the program? It seems similar to something progressive is offering. It also seems like it may not be available in all states.
n4cr2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have not used it but the one I saw connects to OBD2 port and monitors everything it does. It benefits the insurance companies mainly. If you accelerate too fast or stop too sudden, or speed/drive aggressive. I have heard that they can even detect steering inputs and blinker use. Im sure all are a little different but it is a black box that I will not subscribe to. I have never been asked to provide mileage proof showing I drive what I say I drive. All my vehicles are listed as less than 5k per year and for pleasure.
94 Bronco XLT, 5.8L, very rusty and 35s
07 GXP, Mean, manual-RIP 1Apr13 @14K miles
juspimpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

That sounds like the progressive one. I had read on another forum that the black box data is only good for the last 30 seconds (or whatever time) and that this information is only available after an accident when the air bags deploy.
n4cr2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

F That.
Trust me, these things are for the benefit of the insurance company otherwise they would not be doing it.

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
elff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

I took part in the Progressive program (Snapshot). Had devices in four cars for about 3 months. I got an extra 15% discount for my sol ($124.00/yr); total savinigs on all four cars $208.00/yr.
Unfortunately, my wife had long commute at that time so she only got a 6% discount. Right after our 'trial' was up, she lost her job so didn't put hardly any miles on her truck after that. Timing is everything!
Been awhile but I know they track speed, sudden stopes, how many trips a day, and time of day driving. The cars are tracked 24hrs/day. You can go to the website and see graphs of your usage. Was kind of neat but happy not to have them installed anymore. I hated having everyone pass me on the freeway.
TomShadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Exactly why I deleted onstar from my order. I don't want anybody spying on me.

Mallett #33
VIN #1G2MB35B27Y106697
Deep
Ebony Leather

Chrome
numbbers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

GMAC insurance and OnStar have a "pay as you drive" program, great for those who have weekend use only Solstices. I believe the only spying that they do is reading your monthly mileage for billing purposes.

I'm not sure if it's available in all states yet though.
njtex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Founding Member

PAY ME, tomorrow!!

I can/will accept CASH (USD)!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm on the program with State Farm. It reduced my insurance premium by about $7 per month. My understanding is that OnStar only reports your mileage.

'07 Sky
2.4L
5 speed
limited slip
chrome
leather
bright interior trim
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
Windrestrictor V2
Rusty Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

That's how it all starts first its voluntary then its required. At first its just distance then speeds etc
So many laws and practices start out unassuming and sky rocket from there
Big_Tony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

That's how it all starts first its voluntary then its required. At first its just distance then speeds etc
So many laws and practices start out unassuming and sky rocket from there
Big_Tony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.